Cincinnati Final - Federer v. Ferrer

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I personally found Moxie's comments above refreshing. I know she--along with Kieran--is a major fan of Rafael and enjoys his many historic victories over Roger. Yet, what she says is true; Federer is a vital part of the sport and its history. He brings something to the game few have. He commands respect by his sheer accomplishments. I personally love to watch Roger play; he transports me to another epoch. This modern epoch looks a lot more like Rafa and Novak going forward, but I'll miss the more frequent trips to net (I thought Roger came in too little today) and the use Of the slice backhand--what a fabulous shot, and one that Nadal (to his credit) incorporated into his game as the years wore on ( as did Nole too). He will be missed so it's good to see him raise a trophy again. I hope he goes to the final in New York-- this may be the last one in the end.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Do we think Fed will participate in the senior's tour? He may pull a Lendl and disappear for a decade or two first.

I can't envision him playing the senior's tour. I think he would be the ideal choice to run the IOC.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tented said:
kskate2 said:
Do we think Fed will participate in the senior's tour? He may pull a Lendl and disappear for a decade or two first.

I can't envision him playing the senior's tour.

Me either.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Federer is the destructor of the tennis universe..:cool: (errm, for this week at least).

he will dominate that medium sized winners vase he won with all his tennis-shaped awesomeness. :emperor:

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Well done, Federer. It's so great to see him playing this style of tennis.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
Darth is being dragged out of the oven by his ankles - "He won Darth, he won! - don't do it!"

Not so fast my friend, I think you know that I thought he still had big wins left in him and this year too. If he lost this to Ferrer I think that might have had a very bad lingering effect even to the extremely resilient Federer. Roger mentioned in an interview earlier in the week that he was aware of the struggles he has had in finals the past couple years now. Good to see him get a big win on the heels of the US Open. Should be a nice confidence boost yet I still wonder if all this tennis the past 2 weeks could have a negative effect if he were to go deep in USO...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
britbox said:
Darth is being dragged out of the oven by his ankles - "He won Darth, he won! - don't do it!"

Not so fast my friend, I think you know that I thought he still had big wins left in him and this year too. If he lost this to Ferrer I think that might have had a very bad lingering effect even to the extremely resilient Federer. Roger mentioned in an interview earlier in the week that he was aware of the struggles he has had in finals the past couple years now. Good to see him get a big win on the heels of the US Open. Should be a nice confidence boost yet I still wonder if all this tennis the past 2 weeks could have a negative effect if he were to go deep in USO...

Absolutely not. Come on, there is a full week gap here and in USO, you play alternate days.
Further, you get easy picklings in the first few rounds.

I am not saying that he will win or lose at USO. All that I am saying is that if he loses, it
is definitely not due to these two good weeks.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Enjoy today and then worry tomorrow DF....that is Dr Billie's prescription!!!:D

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Federer is defo in the mix for the uso..

its the most open open since before the beginning of time.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

It's a legitimate concern, but my guess is should he stumble in New York it will be more a matter of his head than his body.

(By this, I mean I'm thinking of something like the Robredo match being repeated, vs. losing to Djokovic in the final.)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie said:
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Enjoy today and then worry tomorrow DF....that is Dr Billie's prescription!!!:D

Leave it to you to talk good sense. Does Dr. Billie predict a Roger win at USO if Nole doesn't get it :cool:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Absolutely not. Come on, there is a full week gap here and in USO, you play alternate days.

I am not saying that he will win or lose at USO. All that I am saying is that if he loses, it

Even with a day off it is best of 5 tennis and come Super Saturday if he's there that'd be 4 full weeks of tennis in the last 5. If Roger does stroll through the first 4-5 rounds he should be OK, but if not...it all adds up.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Yeah, I think he needed the win to feed the mind but I'm also thinking you might be right about on the amount of tennis. He looked a bit tired out there.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Actually, I thought he looked more tired in that last couple of matches. This afternoon, knowing he would beat Ferrer, I thought he looked fairly sprightly, except in the 2nd set.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'm sure the quick turnaround from last night mostly attributed to his energy level today.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
GameSetAndMath said:
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Even with a day off it is best of 5 tennis and come Super Saturday if he's there that'd be 4 full weeks of tennis in the last 5. If Roger does stroll through the first 4-5 rounds he should be OK, but if not...it all adds up.

Well, you may be right. I read somewhere today that Fed actually considered skipping
Cincy after going deep in Toronto and finally decided against it.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
I'm sure the quick turnaround from last night mostly attributed to his energy level today.

yes..his semi final..although only 1hr long was quite late, i was hoping for an evening final and was a bit worried when it was late afternoon, but he was ok this time.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Yeah, I think he needed the win to feed the mind but I'm also thinking you might be right about on the amount of tennis. He looked a bit tired out there.

Agreed. But he really really needed that win. Now with a good draw that doesn't tire him out he has a chance. To be honest, even if he hadn't played as much as he has in the last two weeks the same would apply. So I'll take the added confidence of a win!