Cincinnati Final - Federer v. Ferrer

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Poor Daveed. I do hope he gets one win over Roger before they retire.

Was actually thinking of that yesterday. I wonder if you could ask bookies for a special bet on whether Ferrer will ever beat Federer before he retires. For a big payout double I'd love to put Raonic in there too although with his serve you'd think he'd win one sometime but so far the last 3 matches have been completely one sided in favour of Fed. I missed their match the other night but that was as one sided as it'll probably ever get with Fed v Raonic in terms of score. So much for Raonic being angry about the Wimbledon defeat. Gonna be raging next time they meet I guess!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
TennisFanatic7 said:
Poor Daveed. I do hope he gets one win over Roger before they retire.

Was actually thinking of that yesterday. I wonder if you could ask bookies for a special bet on whether Ferrer will ever beat Federer before he retires. For a big payout double I'd love to put Raonic in there too although with his serve you'd think he'd win one sometime but so far the last 3 matches have been completely one sided in favour of Fed.

As Federer gets older, more players are inevitably going to beat him, so it wouldn't surprise me if Ferrer gets him at some point. Perhaps in a year or two, but perhaps sooner. (Same for Raonic.) Just look how much more competitive their most recent encounters have been, compared to a few years ago.

I missed their match the other night but that was as one sided as it'll probably ever get with Fed v Raonic in terms of score. So much for Raonic being angry about the Wimbledon defeat. Gonna be raging next time they meet I guess!

Good! The evidence shows the angrier he gets, the easier it is for Roger. ;)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
To be honest I'd actually expect a guy like Ferrer to beat him sooner than Raonic because Raonic is prone to bad serving days but Ferrer's fitness is his best asset against everyone and it's the most likely deciding factor he'd have if Roger was a bit lacking and/or tired.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
To be honest I'd actually expect a guy like Ferrer to beat him sooner than Raonic because Raonic is prone to bad serving days but Ferrer's fitness is his best asset against everyone and it's the most likely deciding factor he'd have if Roger was a bit lacking and/or tired.

Good points. Ferrer is also mentally stronger than Raonic.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually, before yesterday's match Ferrer was part of both the longest winning streak
and the longest losing streak among active players. Now, he is only part of longest losing streak.

Going in to yesterday's final Ferrer has 0-15 record against Federer and at the same
time has a 15-0 record against Nicolas Almagro, his own personal whipping boy.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Actually, before yesterday's match Ferrer was part of both the longest winning streak
and the longest losing streak among active players. Now, he is only part of longest losing streak.

Going in to yesterday's final Ferrer has 0-15 record against Federer and at the same

That part surprises me (really? not even once?), but not the other.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

I was just recalling the Vince Spadea 21 match losing streak and Donald Young 17 match losing streaks and I see Andrey Golubev also had 18. That's gotta sting.

Didn't remember the exact numbers for Spadea and Young so had to look it up.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11180683

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I was just recalling the Vince Spadea 21 match losing streak and Donald Young 17 match losing streaks and I see Andrey Golubev also had 18. That's gotta sting.

No, No. The streaks you are referring to now are totally of different type. They are
consecutive losses in the matches that they played, but can be to different players.

The streaks that I am referring to are continuously losing to the same player
with possible wins in between against other players.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

No, No. The streaks you are referring to now are totally of different type. They are
consecutive losses in the matches that they played, but can be to different players.

Yeah, I realize that but they're pretty bad all the same 'cos it shows not just a match up issue but that you're basically just flat out crap for 17-21 matches :D

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Yeah, I realize that but they're pretty bad all the same 'cos it shows not just a match up issue but that you're basically just flat out crap for 17-21 matches :D

Oh, no doubt. these streaks are worse than losing to the same player.