3. Albert Ramos-Vinolas
4. Pablo Cuevas
5. Juan Ignacio Londero
6. Hugo Dellien
7. Federico Delbonis
8. Thiago Monteiro

santiago-2019-venue a.jpg

The Tournament:

The Chile Open (also known as the Chile Dove Men+Care Open for sponsorship reasons) is a professional tennis tournament played on outdoor red clay courts in Santiago, Chile. In its history it was held alternately in Viña del Mar city. It is part of the ATP Tour 250 of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Tour and part of the four-tournament Golden Swing.

About Santiago:

Santiago, also known as Santiago de Chile, is the capital and largest city of Chile as well as one of the largest cities in the Americas. It is the center of Chile's largest and most densely populated conurbation, the Santiago Metropolitan Region, whose total population is 7 million. The city is entirely located in the country's central valley. Most of the city lies between 500 m (1,640 ft) and 650 m (2,133 ft) above mean sea level.

Founded in 1541 by the Spanish conqueror Pedro de Valdivia, Santiago has been the capital city of Chile since colonial times. The city has a downtown core of 19th-century neoclassical architecture and winding side-streets, dotted by art deco, neo-gothic, and other styles. Santiago's cityscape is shaped by several stand-alone hills and the fast-flowing Mapocho River, lined by parks such as Parque Forestal. The Andes Mountains can be seen from most points in the city. These mountains contribute to a considerable smog problem, particularly during winter. The city outskirts are surrounded by vineyards and Santiago is within an hour of both the mountains and the Pacific Ocean.

Santiago_de_chile_collage.png

Tourism Guide:

TV Coverage:

Americas:

Latin America - Productora/Torneos
Brazil - Bandsport
United States - Tennis Channel

Asia:
China - Iqiyi
Hong Kong - PCCW
Japan - Wowow
Korea - Eclat
Malaysia - Astro
Myanmar - Skynet
Philippines - Elite Sports
Philippines - Elite Sports
Singapore - Starhub
Taiwan - Sino Catch
Thailand - Cineplex Limited
Vietnam - Canal +

Europe:
Albania - Straightforward in Sports
Bulgaria - Mobitel
Cyprus - CYTA
Czech Republic - Tolano
Denmark - Modern Times
Finland - MTV
France - Eurosport
Georgia - Adjara
Germany - Perform
Greece - Hellenic
Hungary - Pragosport
Italy - Sportcast
Netherlands - Liberty Global/Ziggo
Poland - Telewizja Polsat
Portugal - Sport TV
Romania - Digisport
Serbia - IKO Sportclub
Spain - Telefonica
Spain - Enjoy
Turkey - Saran
United Kingdom & ROI - Amazon Prime Video

Middle East:
Israel - Sport 5
MENA - beIN SPORTS
MENA - beIN SPORTS
MENA - ASBU

Worldwide:
Worldwide - Tennis TV

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The "unknown" Dellien, who is actually seeded, beat Cecchinato, who beat Djokovic at RG a couple of years ago. @GameSetAndMath

Reactions: AnonymousFan

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
This tournament substituted the São Paulo tournament, who lost it's slot. In a sense is good as we have one more country with an ATP tournament in South America. Little coincidence is that both cities (São Paulo and Santiago) are not at sea leval and roughly about the same altitude (~ 700 meters above sea level), which is around the same of Madrid, known as "fast" clay tournament (not that I agree with that entirely, but, yes, the ball travels faster).

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The "unknown" Dellien, who is actually seeded, beat Cecchinato, who beat Djokovic at RG a couple of years ago. @GameSetAndMath
Italian can't beat a dead cat since that RG win against Novak, but I know what you mean about Dellien :)

This south american clay swing is usually always owned by some south americans. It's hard to beat them on their continent. I know I see a lot of Garin's name recently, he seems to be in charge down there at the moment.

Last edited:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
2 young guuuuuuunz in final.

could tsw be a surprise teenage title champ and steal the thunder from small colin? (who 0-5 so far.)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Interesting and intriguing at the same time to see this teenager capturing a title out if nowhere. Hopefully he'll back it up soon.

Reactions: Murat Baslamisli

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting and intriguing at the same time to see this teenager capturing a title out if nowhere. Hopefully he'll back it up soon.
@JesuslookslikeBorg, who is a good scout of young talent, has been calling Wild out, even if only for his extravagantly poetic name. He turns 20 in 9 days. Ruud is barely 21. While it wasn't a strong field, it was a fairly *even* one. Garin won last week so he can be forgiven for falling short. But there were some good veterans in there, like Cuevas, Ramos-Viñolas and Del Bonis, and yet, the puppies prevailed. Both have good clay futures.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
2 career wins before this tourney and he wins the title.

joinng de minaur (hitlerface). :pile-of-poo: as a teen winner.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Wild is a junior major winner (USOpen, 2018). He's been described as a prodigy (specially for Brazilian standards) for quite a while now around here. He was on the local tennis news since his 14/15's. People are so anxious to see results that before this year began he was already described by some as wasted talent and another aborted and unsuccessful career (really).

I have seen about half a dozen of his matches (not on site though, just streaming). Kind of player that everyone says that has a lot of potential, given the attacking game.

His main asset is a huge, huge forehand. It is not just the power, is the way he uses it. It is a major weapon and all his victories are built upon it. The only young player in his league in this regard is Rublev.

He has a natural inclination for variation, which is very strong. But he still lacks the technique to be fully successful with that. Anyway, he attacks the net naturally and that is a good, not so common trait.

His serve is good, and it is clearly improving.

Fitness was a problem and is improving as well. Most likely the main reason for his much improved results.

Last but not least, the thing people talk the most about around here regarding him, the mental side. He has a huge temper. Very prone to tantrums, tossing balls outside the stadium and things like that. He is always a candidate for disqualification. People who are following closely are saying that this is getting better as well, I cannot tell but I cannot compare things properly as well.

The important thing is that it seems to me that the hot head does not lead him to tank/fold matches. I guess that the lack of physical fitness led him to that in the past, but I have seen him explode and still stay in matches. Anyway, this is a tricky subject and with having just seen a handful of matches I would never say I am sure of anything.

A lot of expectations around the kid around here. Winning an ATP 250 is a huge thing for a Brazilian player so he is already delivering. Definitely will reach top 50, but given his profile anything can happen next.