Brisbane International 2014

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, I initially thought her outfit made her look bulky, glad to see that was the case. I like her 2014 Australian Open outfit. I wouldn't have gone with as much black on it as she did as the temps can get outrageous down there, but it looks nice and pleasing to her form I imagine.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
toshiroh said:
Haven't been on in a while, but for the people saying Serena needs to lose weight. I think it's the outfit, look at this Brisbane clip. She looks pretty trim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cnKiVuYg6Q

Nice. Cheers for posting that. Clears up all the nonsense from last night. She looks absolutely great there. Very pretty lady.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
So, Serena has won a tourney for 8 straight years.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good to see Serena starting the year off right keeping Sharapova and Azarenka at bay and heading into Australia with a mission #18. She looks dead set on making it happen. Where I would like to see the hardware is the French Open again. I want her to at least end her career with 3 possibly 4. She is too good of a player to not have more than she does.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
I noticed, at least in this tourny Maria and vika have

seemed to improve in handling Serena's serve a little

better. The book on Ree has always been to move her

side to side and get her into long rallies. They did that

somewhat. Thats the good news. The bad news about

getting her into long rallies and forcing her to hit more

ground strokes is.............. She's getting better at it.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
RJD11 said:
I noticed, at least in this tourny Maria and vika have

seemed to improve in handling Serena's serve a little

better. The book on Ree has always been to move her

side to side and get her into long rallies. They did that

somewhat. Thats the good news. The bad news about

getting her into long rallies and forcing her to hit more

ground strokes is.............. She's getting better at it.

Agreed they're both getting better at returning her serves. Of course the worst news of all is they both still lost in straight sets.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I would say Serena is getting better at getting depth and power when she is extending these rallies and playing defense. I remember last year for a while there she would be giving players a short reply and easy put away. Not so much anymore when she gets in these extended rallies. Serena is getting even stronger at turning her defense into offense. The execution is much better with the depth of shot I have noticed.

I still say the one serve Serena should use more is the body serve if she wants to give players something else to think about when it comes to Serena and serving. I like the fact that she is experimenting more with pace change when it comes to her serve at critical times of a match.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yup. Nice points and agree about body serves. I really think a lot of players out there don't use them nearly as much as they should. Players who possess a powerful serve need to use more variety and body serves are key. On the men's side I really hope Jerzy Janowicz starts to use body serves more, for example.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Goldenboy said:
Amazing return games from Serena. Sharapova has no time to react after she serves. Not too many DF yet, but regardless she is being destroyed.

6-2 first set to Serena.

Matt Cronin
@tennisreporters

First time that the man with the alleged 'black heart,' Dimitrov, has sat in Sharapova's box when she's facing Serena. Factor?
4:47 AM - 3 Jan 2014

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
RJD11 said:
Goldenboy said:
Amazing return games from Serena. Sharapova has no time to react after she serves. Not too many DF yet, but regardless she is being destroyed.

6-2 first set to Serena.

Matt Cronin
@tennisreporters

First time that the man with the alleged 'black heart,' Dimitrov, has sat in Sharapova's box when she's facing Serena. Factor?

I don't listen to gossip that much of late, but did he supposedly go out with both of them? What in the world for? He's a child compared to these 2 old cougars! :lolz: :laydownlaughing

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
From Another board:

Was it arrogant for Victoria to say
"I look forward to meeting you in Melbourne."?

No it was not arrogant just a friendly reminder
that the competition is still on. To which Serena
responded " no problem see you there."

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
RJD11 said:
Goldenboy said:

6-2 first set to Serena.

Matt Cronin
@tennisreporters

I don't listen to gossip that much of late, but did he supposedly go out with both of them? What in the world for? He's a child compared to these 2 old cougars! :lolz: :laydownlaughing

That's the rumor. He dated Serena and its not clear who dumped who

Serena for Patrick or him for " The Pova ". But He's with Maria now and

I guess with Serena's comments about his " Black heart "

Its possible that after Maria's Wimby comment, coaching change, and

new resolve he might see vindication and a different result.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Good to see Serena starting the year off right keeping Sharapova and Azarenka at bay and heading into Australia with a mission #18. She looks dead set on making it happen. Where I would like to see the hardware is the French Open again. I want her to at least end her career with 3 possibly 4. She is too good of a player to not have more than she does.

I would love to see Serena with at least one more French Open, but, Irespectfully disagree that she's to good to only have won 2.

It's her least favorite surface, and if u view the career slams of other greats, 2 or 3 slams on their "worst" surface tends to be the norm.

Chris Evert "only" won 3 Wimby on grass, although she was in like 8 finals, and Martina N only won 2 FO's on clay and she grew up on the surface. Steffi won more than 2 French's primarily due to the fact, the best clay courter of her time taken was out of the game for an extended period.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

I would love to see Serena with at least one more French Open, but, disagree that she's to good to only have won 2.

It her least favorite surface, and if u view the career slams of other greats, 2 or 3 slams on their "worst" surface tends to be the norm.

Chris Evert "only" won 3 Wimby on grass, although she was in like 8 finals, and Martina N only won 2 FO's on clay and she grew up on the surface. Steffi won more than 2 French's primarily due to the fact the best clay courter of her time taken out of the game.

So few acknowledge Seles in that respect! I'm a little disappointed Arantxa Sanchez-V. didn't do more; esp. in that lone Wimbledon final against Graf! Lower ranked players had better results against her; Mary Pierce and Amanda Coetzer! :nono :puzzled :angel:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

I would love to see Serena with at least one more French Open, but, Irespectfully disagree that she's to good to only have won 2.

It's her least favorite surface, and if u view the career slams of other greats, 2 or 3 slams on their "worst" surface tends to be the norm.

Chris Evert "only" won 3 Wimby on grass, although she was in like 8 finals, and Martina N only won 2 FO's on clay and she grew up on the surface. Steffi won more than 2 French's primarily due to the fact, the best clay courter of her time taken was out of the game for an extended period.

Well, I can agree with what you are saying, but I also think Chris and Martina are better than what their totals suggest for their "weaker" surfaces. I mean this is all relative for Serena at the moment as she is still playing and could quite possibly win more French Opens.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
For the reading pleasure of My Sherona

http://espn.go.com/blog/peter-bodo/post/_/id/573/serena-vs-sharapova-greatest-non-rivalry-in-tennis

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
RJD11 said:
Fiero425 said:
RJD11 said:
Goldenboy said:

6-2 first set to Serena.

Matt Cronin
@tennisreporters

Serena and that guy have never dated.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
special700 said:
RJD11 said:
Fiero425 said:
RJD11 said:
Goldenboy said:

6-2 first set to Serena.

Matt Cronin
@tennisreporters

And you know this because….?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
special700 said:
RJD11 said:
Fiero425 said:
RJD11 said:
Goldenboy said:

6-2 first set to Serena.

Matt Cronin
@tennisreporters

That phrasing reminds me of Bill Clinton