Brisbane International 2014

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kiu said:
Where are all the picks?

Am I the only one to put their picks on-line?

I haven't seen Vika play all week, but I'll go Serena, as it is rarely profitable to bet against her.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Kiu said:
Muscle is heavy, lots of muscle is good for power but a drag to haul around, lots of muscle can slow one down.

Speed is as much of a key in tennis as is power, sometimes more effective.

Serena is heavy.

I'm surprised at you, Kiu, saying she's "heavy," as if it's an unqualified truth. She's not too heavy for her size, and she's not like an Isner dragging around a 6'9", 250 lb. body. As Front says, big quads, and as I maintain, glutes, give her a speed and power advantage. She's fit for long matches, so I don't see a complaint about her size.

Front242 said:
Well, the heaviest thing is definitely those 17 slams. She's gotta be doing something right.

Agreed!

They always attack her size when she kicks their favs butts playing her D level game.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kiu said:
201401030643242259333_o.jpg

She is heavy for her size, too much muscle, Look at Caro, that's fit!

Yea maybe that's why caro can't lift those majors she can't win because of her fitness..lol

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kiu said:
Front242 said:
The fact that Serena is dominating the WTA tour at age 32 says she's gotta be pretty fit. I personally don't think anything else needs to be said on that issue really when you take into account her last season against the skinnier, speedy little cherubs out there playing against her.
Fit has nothing to do with being heavy, Serena has lots of muscles, so she is heavy, I would estimate her weight at 165 pounds, that's heavy!

Vika is heavy too!

Are you an idiot there's no way Serena is 165. Have you ever seen Serena in person? ?? I bet you haven't...

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Kiu said:
Front242 said:
Kiu said:

And look at the number of slams. 0 v 17. Hmmm. Again, Serena's doing just fine the way she is.
what does that to do with being heavy?

Isn't she?

It's got everything to do with it. Her muscle power aids her serve and speed. You're citing a player you deem fit (yeah Wozniacki looks in great shape) as if Serena would be better if she looked like Caroline. I beg to differ. Serena would then have no big serve or strong core to enhance her power game. Maybe some of the other girls could do with eating a few burgers more to the point and then they too might serve big and hit the ball harder. Errani could definitely do with munching a few burgers to help that Bambi serve.

Kiu is that guy Madd from espn board.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
special700 said:
Kiu said:
Front242 said:
The fact that Serena is dominating the WTA tour at age 32 says she's gotta be pretty fit. I personally don't think anything else needs to be said on that issue really when you take into account her last season against the skinnier, speedy little cherubs out there playing against her.
Fit has nothing to do with being heavy, Serena has lots of muscles, so she is heavy, I would estimate her weight at 165 pounds, that's heavy!

Vika is heavy too!

Are you an idiot there's no way Serena is 165. Have you ever seen Serena in person? ?? I bet you haven't...

Well, I have. From only a few hundred feet away, when she was being photographed in Central Park after one of her USO wins. She is more slender than she looks on TV, and far less imposing when she's smiling. But 165 could be possible. My point is that it doesn't matter what she actually weighs, only that she is appropriate to her body type and her athletic muscle mass. If she carries the right amount of weight for the power she needs, and it doesn't impeded her speed and movement, then she's at the right weight, whatever it is. IMO, she looks fantastic, and her body serves her very well.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
special700 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
I don't know why people say here comes the kitchen sink when it comes to Serena. Serena is the kitchen sink not the other way around. I expect a fight. Serena is defending champion, and Vika wants to take her down and land a blow. I expect the claws to come out, and I expect Serena to serve much better than she did today. I expect a three setter. I mean Serena is the only one not to drop a set in this tournament.

Exactly!!

They've applied their metaphor to the wrong individual.

I would also like to add that Serena has had to be on it from the start of this tournament. I mean her list of opponents : Petkovic, Cibulkova, Sharapova and now Azarenka. Her draw was not one slouch. All of her opponents are dangerous in their own way when things are firing. I expected Serena to have an off match. She is usually good for one every tournament she plays. I just didn't expect her serve to go off nearly as bad as it did in the second set.

Her draws never have slouches she always get the very tough opponents other 1 players e.g pova, get the easy draws. Maria's first opponent was a clay courter as oppose to Serena's first opponent and that is the norm when it comes to Serena.

You're right! Randomly, of course

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
special700 said:
kskate2 said:
^ I think you are right Sunday that she looks about the same as the end of the season. That being said, she had picked up a few pounds between the USO and the Asian/YEC swing. She could stand to drop about 5-8 pounds and it she'll look as trim as RG.

I would love for you to tell me where she's suppose to lose these 5-8 pounds from. Serena does not have one ounce of fat on her body. You people never cease to amaze me. Let's see the season ended I think the middle of Nov. and started again the end of Dec. and you are telling me that serena gained so much weight within that short period of time and you can see it. In that case then the "fit" pova girl should have kicked her butt off the court. FYI - being thin does not translate to being fit.

Right Special!

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:

Right!

In those rallies vs Pova, Serena covered the court

exceptionally well. The commentators even talked of her

speed several times. Criss crossing the court several times

at full speed would cause anyone to be winded.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Kiu said:
Front242 said:
Kiu said:

And look at the number of slams. 0 v 17. Hmmm. Again, Serena's doing just fine the way she is.
what does that to do with being heavy?

Isn't she?

It's got everything to do with it. Her muscle power aids her serve and speed. You're citing a player you deem fit (yeah Wozniacki looks in great shape) as if Serena would be better if she looked like Caroline. I beg to differ. Serena would then have no big serve or strong core to enhance her power game. Maybe some of the other girls could do with eating a few burgers more to the point and then they too might serve big and hit the ball harder. Errani could definitely do with munching a few burgers to help that Bambi serve.

How many Slams does the " now thats fit " Caro have ?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
special700 said:
kskate2 said:
^ I think you are right Sunday that she looks about the same as the end of the season. That being said, she had picked up a few pounds between the USO and the Asian/YEC swing. She could stand to drop about 5-8 pounds and it she'll look as trim as RG.

I would love for you to tell me where she's suppose to lose these 5-8 pounds from. Serena does not have one ounce of fat on her body. You people never cease to amaze me. Let's see the season ended I think the middle of Nov. and started again the end of Dec. and you are telling me that serena gained so much weight within that short period of time and you can see it. In that case then the "fit" pova girl should have kicked her butt off the court. FYI - being thin does not translate to being fit.

Try reading my post before you question it. I stated it looked like she picked up a few pounds after the USO, not at the end of the season. And for the record, her legs (specifically her thighs), her mid-section and her face look fuller to me than earlier in the year.

As for not being fit enough to win, I never said that. She wasn't fit back in 2007 when she ran all over everyone at AO. She has proven she can win whether she's carrying extra pounds.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
After exchanging a few breaks, Serena takes the title in straights 6-4 7-5. Congrats on defending your title.

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
The Queen of Tennis has defended her title and rolls on to the AO the clear favorite. Congrats Serena. Hoping to see her grab her 18th Slam title in a few weeks.

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
Kiu said:
Moxie,
She is heavy, has nothing to do with her being good, or awesome...
I am heavy!

Serena has a great body. I hate those flat bodies with big shoulders. They look creepy.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Congrads to Serena for job well done! She did dodge the kitchen sink.
201401040544206810934_t.jpg

Vika needs to do something about here attire, she must like flowers.
201401040550210150942_t.jpg

and one last picture...
Serena-Evonne-and-Vika-1024-220x220.jpg

Final score 6-4 7-5

#58 is in the bag, here we go to the big one in a weeks time.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hope Serena stops these second set lapses. She makes her life so much more difficult when she has these lapses.

toshiroh

Reactions
Haven't been on in a while, but for the people saying Serena needs to lose weight. I think it's the outfit, look at this Brisbane clip. She looks pretty trim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cnKiVuYg6Q