Boxing

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My thinking exactly! And I chuckled when I saw the historic bouts you used for flagrantly bad decisions. I used the same two when talking to a mate!

I was a massive Chavez fan, but Whitaker boxed his ears off. You're right that Mexicans know their boxing... everyone knew Chavez lost that fight and lost it clearly. Chavez should have also lost the Randall rematch... and while the Chavez/Meldrick Taylor fight was one of the best ever seen, Julio was pretty fortunate on Richard Steel stopping it with 2 seconds left in the final round while Taylor had got back on his feet and clearly ahead on points.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes. There were a few dodgy things that happened with Chavez. Always the same with the big draw guys. Which makes the Pacquaio Bradley thing amazing.

Btw... have you heard? Andre Ward is retiring. What a shame!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes. There were a few dodgy things that happened with Chavez. Always the same with the big draw guys. Which makes the Pacquaio Bradley thing amazing.

Btw... have you heard? Andre Ward is retiring. What a shame!

Ward was a master craftsman and a really classy guy out of the ring. Underappreciated. A native of my adopted American sports city - Oakland.

I see they've made Bellew/Haye 2. Let the war of words begin!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yup that should be a good watch. But even better news, WBC is mandating Golovkin/ Alvarez 2! Get in!

Reactions: britbox

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Great performance from Errol Spence against Lamont Petersen. He just broke him down and beat him up. Very impressive. One of my 3 favourite fighters at the moment

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So I watched GGG v Canelo 2. Here's how I scored it...

Ggg
Canelo
Canelo
Ggg
Ggg
Even
Canelo
Even
Ggg
Ggg
Even
Canelo

I had it 5 - 4 for GGG. It was good, great technical skills by both. Canelo definitely the better boxer, but GGG the better fighter. I wouldn't call it great. Some of those even rounds could easily have gone to GGG, but on the basis of the more memorable punches I gave them even. GGG generally outworked Canelo.

They gave the fight to Canelo. This was a clear nod to the home fighter. Can't say I'm surprised but.... it's disappointing. GGG was robbed yet again.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So I watched GGG v Canelo 2. Here's how I scored it...

Ggg
Canelo
Canelo
Ggg
Ggg
Even
Canelo
Even
Ggg
Ggg
Even
Canelo

I had it 5 - 4 for GGG. It was good, great technical skills by both. Canelo definitely the better boxer, but GGG the better fighter. I wouldn't call it great. Some of those even rounds could easily have gone to GGG, but on the basis of the more memorable punches I gave them even. GGG generally outworked Canelo.

They gave the fight to Canelo. This was a clear nod to the home fighter. Can't say I'm surprised but.... it's disappointing. GGG was robbed yet again.

I haven't seen it yet in full - only managed to see the last round which I actually just gave to GGG by a hair. Teddy Atlas gave it to GGG by 5 rounds... most pundits seem to be calling it much closer but GGG seems to be the majority choice. Will watch tomorrow in full.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I haven't seen it yet in full - only managed to see the last round which I actually just gave to GGG by a hair. Teddy Atlas gave it to GGG by 5 rounds... most pundits seem to be calling it much closer but GGG seems to be the majority choice. Will watch tomorrow in full.
Teddy went a bit nuts. When you watch the whole thing you’ll see that GGG was running out of gas in that last round and Canelo was hitting with more power. Very close though, could have gone either way in the last round

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good finish by Joshua but there has to be some concerns about his defence if and when he goes in against a big puncher like Wilder.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I agree. Wilder has real knockout power. I think AJ is a more cultured boxer than him. In a funny way, the Wilder-Fury fight will be a good template for AJ. I think Fury will be very tricky and could expose Wilder's weaknesses. If Wilder knocks him out (I don't see Wilder beating Fury on points), then AJ will know what needs to be done when the finally collide. To be fair to AJ though, Povetkin was never a scrub, and the height differential was always something that made it interesting. I can see why AJ says Mike Tyson would have blown him away at his peak!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm looking forward to Fury/Wilder... I know Wilder is the favourite but I've just got this feeling that Tyson Fury beats him.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm looking forward to Fury/Wilder... I know Wilder is the favourite but I've just got this feeling that Tyson Fury beats him.
I wouldn't be surprised by that at all mate. Fury is simply a better boxer than Wilder and it's not close. The only questions are Fury's conditioning and his ability to evade true knockout power

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some huge fights coming up in the next few weeks, particularly for British Boxing.

Looking forward to the Oleksandr Usyk / Tony Bellew fight. This could be dynamite. Usyk holds the belts... Bellew vacated, moved up to heavy and has moved back down. Usyk must be favourite but this is nothing new to Bellew - he goes into most of these big fights as an underdog and had generally come up trumps.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Cobra talks about the Bellew fight and the heavyweight crop.

Also picks Callum Smith over Triple G which is interesting.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Usyk knocks out Bellew in the 8th. Bellew ahead on the scorecards at the time. Tony's last fight. Good career. I used to watch him back in his amateur days. Usyk looked good. Good chin and excellent technical fighter.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Eddie Hearn talking about the Usyk/Bellew fight...

I love the IFLTV boxing channel on Youtube. I catch up with it every day. The two guys who started it Kugan Cassius and James Helder were kind of laughed at initially. They just wandered around with a camera talking to people. They built this up to the stage where they now get millions of viewers and it's one of the biggest sporting channels on the whole of Youtube. Rather than chasing promoters and boxers for interviews, these people now come to them...

Edit: This video is actually on the BoxingSocial Youtube channel... Lol. But IFLTV get the majority of these kind of insider interviews.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
yup, there are some great boxing channels out there. I won't like I initially thought Helder and Cassius were just a bunch of weirdos, but over time I've increasingly watched their stuff, so clearly they've been doing good things :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Other Sports 1
B Other Sports 24
JasonNorin Other Sports 6
Kieran Other Sports 1
britbox Other Sports 3