Australian Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As I said to @El Dude above, I wonder if tennis isn't wishing they'd never waded into this in the first place. If they'd always treated tennis players as individual contractors, which they are, there might be no Russian protests outside at the AO. Sure, some Ukrainian flags on hats, and even Russian players signing for "peace" on the lens, which I think Rublev did, but no need for major political kerfuffles. I'm pretty sure that tennis opened a can of worms they wish they never had.
It is sad that politics ever enters the sporting arena full stop, The AO this year, has lost a lot of high profile players, both on the mens and womens side, now it is caught up in a political kerfuffle, which should not have happened if the fans, Novak's dad had followed the guidelines it had implemented from the beginning of the AO

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
As I said to @El Dude above, I wonder if tennis isn't wishing they'd never waded into this in the first place. If they'd always treated tennis players as individual contractors, which they are, there might be no Russian protests outside at the AO. Sure, some Ukrainian flags on hats, and even Russian players signing for "peace" on the lens, which I think Rublev did, but no need for major political kerfuffles. I'm pretty sure that tennis opened a can of worms they wish they never had.

It's just how the world is at this time; "chronic whiners" who need to kvetch about "just everything!" Aretha Franklin is catching He!! from the grave due to singing of "(You Make Me Fell) A Natural Woman!" The "trans" community is in a tizzy even though it was Carole King who composed the song back in the 60's, performing it in the 70's & beyond! I have no words; esp. after dealing w/ the delusions of Rafa fans! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :fearful-face::anxious-face-with-sweat:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Honestly not hammering on you, but genuinely curious...your last sentence has a bit to unpack. What do you think the media bias is, in this case? What IS the propaganda? If you by mean "double-standard" that the US or other countries are not called out for sins, I think you stretch a point too thin, in terms of the AO 2023. If you mean, as I think someone pointed out on these forums at one time, why weren't US players sanctioned when, say, the US invaded Iraq? I'd say that's a fair question, and qualifies as a double-standard. But I'm not clear that exists due to "media bias and propaganda." It's much more complicated than that, and murky business. The world in general, and tennis in particular (for our purposes) has taken a stand against Russia/Putin on this war. Are you thinking that we should look at the Russian side of the story, or just that the Russian and Belarusian players in tennis are being unfairly singled out? On the latter, I would agree with you.

And to keep this at least nominally related to the thread, the AO seems to have been trying to keep the politics away from the tennis, to some extent. They were a bit open until a Russian flag was prominently displayed during the match of a Ukrainian player. That's a bit much. Between us, I think tennis and other sports are realizing how unwieldy it is when they decide to wade into politics. It seems straight-forward, until it isn't. And that all comes up fast. Like Rybakina winning Wimbledon last year.
Yes, I'm saying there's a double-standard in terms of the US foreign policy, and the endless propaganda the mainstream media spews out. The US is responsible for more death, more invasions, than any other nation over the last 80 years - and of course the countless deaths related to sanctions and military funding. But, Team America World Police!

Part of that propaganda is painting a very one-dimensional picture of Russia and Ukraine, which any delving into alternative media will reveal (that is, media not working as a mouth-piece for the military industrial complex). It isn't about sides, or whether or not Putin is a bad dude, but understanding the larger context of it. See, for instance, what Noam Chomsky has to say, or John Mearsheimer, or Oliver Stone's film, "Ukraine on Fire."

But in the context of tennis, I'm mostly talking about the Russian and Belarusian players, who have no more to do with Putin than Andy Roddick did with George W Bush.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, I'm saying there's a double-standard in terms of the US foreign policy, and the endless propaganda the mainstream media spews out. The US is responsible for more death, more invasions, than any other nation over the last 80 years - and of course the countless deaths related to sanctions and military funding. But, Team America World Police!

Part of that propaganda is painting a very one-dimensional picture of Russia and Ukraine, which any delving into alternative media will reveal (that is, media not working as a mouth-piece for the military industrial complex). It isn't about sides, or whether or not Putin is a bad dude, but understanding the larger context of it. See, for instance, what Noam Chomsky has to say, or John Mearsheimer, or Oliver Stone's film, "Ukraine on Fire."

But in the context of tennis, I'm mostly talking about the Russian and Belarusian players, who have no more to do with Putin than Andy Roddick did with George W Bush.
For the bulk of this, I will leave it to the politics thread. As to the last sentence, I agree.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
If you have ESPN+ they’re showing the boy’s singles final now. It’s been a much better match thus far than I was expecting. One of the finalists is an American lefty named Learner Tien. He’s someone to keep an eye on. Tagging @El Dude who likes to follow the careers of the guys on the horizon.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
77DBABA5-668E-475E-A347-F063DA90781F.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Brawl? I'd never point fingers at any other major musing about violence! It's a shame a stray bullet came flying into Forest Hills exacerbated their move to Flushing Meadows! Then of course there was the unfortunate tourist m#rd@r in the Subway off the facility decades ago! I'm surprised The USO hasn't taken a bigger hit as one of the worst events run out there! The scheduling of matches was criminal at times! The stories I could tell you going back to the 70's! :pleading-face: :fearful-face::astonished-face::anxious-face-with-sweat:
Well, NY is NY, I am an American so I know what to expect from some of my fellow citizens. I was not aware of a stray bullet at Forest Hills nor about rowdy behavior on the NY Subway (which is not a stretch) as the 70s I was still going to Wildwood, NJ as a kid for the summer and wasn't really quite sure what tennis was to be honest.

I guess I was surprised because I hear nothing but wonderful things about Australia, that it is relatively safe (except from fires, snakes, big cats, spiders, etc) so I was a bit taken back by fighting.

My @Ellentonboy comment on these shenanigans - NO ALCOHOL SALES AT ANY PRO TENNIS EVENTS and CHECK PEOPLE'S BAGS AS THEY COME THROUGH THE GATE. I know sponsors will leave, people will be cranky, take a ride service and have a drink at home before you leave for the event.

I know this is not possible but it is Sunday where I am so figured people might be kind by my delusional post and not request men in white jackets come and take me off my couch. Just a thought folks....

Reactions: Moxie