Reactions
Who wins?
91C16A69-B600-4C03-8FD4-A618EAFC909C.jpeg
FDAF2765-A9CF-494D-A5FE-430205C230B1.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I feel like Rybakina is a way better player than their previous meetings. Rybakina actually has the experience of playing in, and winning, a Grand Slam final. Rybakina is on a mission to consolidate her Wimbledon win with a slam that actually awards points. Rybakina wins in 2 tight sets.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
All I can say at this point there will wont be much fluff left on the balls, in this match up.
Night conditions make the court slower and the balls heavier. Rybakina has mentioned this in her presser.
Sabalenka will move to No 2 making the final
Rybakina will make her Top 10 debut, if she wins the title, will move to No 8.

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I feel like Rybakina is a way better player than their previous meetings. Rybakina actually has the experience of playing in, and winning, a Grand Slam final. Rybakina is on a mission to consolidate her Wimbledon win with a slam that actually awards points. Rybakina wins in 2 tight sets.
All of this, but I’ll give Sabalenka one set.

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
So what do we think folks, alot of screaming from Saba (excuse me, grunting). I think this is going to go the way of the current Wimbledon champ, she's be serving (and playing) lights out. Not that Sabalenka is going to just hand it to her. She's going to fight, mostly with herself, but I think in the end Rybakina is going to pull this out. Fortunately for her, this tournament will earn her points (imagine that!) and that ridiculous ranking of hers will be bought a bit closer to the place it should be. I selected Rybakina in three, hopefully the crowd will be respectful (and sober!).

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
Sabalenka in 3. Rybakina is not fortunate enough to face Jabeur this time

Go Khachanov and Sabalenka, if only because they were robbed at Wimbledon :)

Off topic, I like the Screamalenka nickname someone mentioned here before

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I want Sabalenka to win, and I expect it to go 3, either way.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

That was me, but unfortunately that's as far as we agree. Elena has taken out some pretty big scalps in this tourney. Former #1's and slam champs. She's primed and ready to win this thing. It took Saba 3 SF tries to get to a final. Her already suspect serve will be under even more pressure in the final.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Please come out I know your a closet Saba fan lol!

• Haha

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Can someone explain to me why Sabalenka game translate into Ws but Keys game produces Ls..? @kskate2 @MargaretMcAleer @Moxie @tented @tossip @Fiero425
Actually, both are really streaky players. Keys actually made a major final before (at the 2017 US Open), but she hasn't really improved her game. This weak era of tennis (after Serena's prime was over) is the only reason why either of these players go deep in slams. If they played in the late 80s/early 90s, they would never see the 2nd week of a grand slam.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AP,

Madison to me has a 'one dimensional game' over the years she has not added any variety to her game, where other players have, to me she hasnt got a B plan, when her A game isnt working.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
AP,

Madison to me has a 'one dimensional game' over the years she has not added any variety to her game, where other players have, to me she hasnt got a B plan, when her A game isnt working.
Understood, I have always stated that Sharapova plan A was to hit the ball hard. If plan A isn't working, her plan B was to hit it even harder. In theory Margaret is Madison game different from Sabalenka or even going back to Sharapova? No I dont think so..Why is she getting more Ls than Ws like Sabalenka..I have seen Keys win Cincy 2019 against the top players of the WTA at the time with power and a change of pace..I have seen Madison in 2017 for through the field at USO and changed her game against Naomi before she became Osaka.. there's something missing with Keys but it baffling to me.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Understood, Margaret is Madison game different from Sabalenka or even going back to Sharapova? No I dont think so..Why is she getting more Ls than Ws like Sabalenka
I feel Sabalenka has improved in area's especially this year, hiring that Biomechanic last year for her serve, has payed off big time this year, she is not DF, especially in crucial times in the match, one thing that stands out to me is 'her head' she has always been an emotional player, wears her heart on her sleeve, sometimes as a player that can go against you,she is playing well within herself, playing with control and not just bashing the ball at times.,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Understood, I have always stated that Sharapova plan A was to hit the ball hard. If plan A isn't working, her plan B was to hit it even harder. In theory Margaret is Madison game different from Sabalenka or even going back to Sharapova? No I dont think so..Why is she getting more Ls than Ws like Sabalenka..I have seen Keys win Cincy 2019 against the top players of the WTA at the time with power and a change of pace..I have seen Madison in 2017 for through the field at USO and changed her game against Naomi before she became Osaka.. there's something missing with Keys but it baffling to me.
I feel it is in her 'head' at times, she played well at Cinncy last year, the court suits her, then when it mattered went AWOL

Reactions: the AntiPusher

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Getting back to the final,

Both players have good 1st serves, though I feel their 2nd serves in this match, could be a telling factor in the final.
Rybakina has been in a major final, and won, so she’ll have that confidence of knowing she can pull through and win the whole thing. Sabalenka, on the other hand, is entering new territory. She’ll be tight, I suspect, and her DF count could rise to a higher level than in her previous matches the last two weeks, which could put her in a shame spiral she won’t be able to recover from.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rybakina has been in a major final, and won, so she’ll have that confidence of knowing she can pull through and win the whole thing. Sabalenka, on the other hand, is entering new territory. She’ll be tight, I suspect, and her DF count could rise to a higher level than in her previous matches the last two weeks, which could put her in a shame spiral she won’t be able to recover from.
Agree, Saba's serve will have to be 'on song' in the final, hopefully it will, it will be a shame to see it go AWOL, when it matters in a GS final, she has been playing well to get to the final,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am going for a Sabalenka win, I know I have made a friend for life in AF!
This match up would be a even better match if he was played the best of 5 sets
People have been groaning that women need to play in a major, the best of 5 sets,
I feel this one would be a prime example

Last edited: