Australian Open 2023 F: Elena Rybakina vs. Aryna Sabalenka

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Well I'm glad most of all this match wasn't a dud. Both played well. Welcome Saba to the Grand Slam club

• Love
Reactions: the AntiPusher

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Alright gang! Thanks for joining us on the live chat. Please post any remaining comments in the match thread.

• Love
Reactions: the AntiPusher

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
@kskate2 @tossip , I still want to know how Saba can do it but Keys can't over her mental demons
Saba is herself out there and seems to enjoy her tennis.Keys needs to dump her live in partner,he is not helping her at all.She must embrace the side of herself that she denies.Until she embraces all of herself she will remain stuck.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rod Laver tweeted after the Women's Final,

Congratulations on winning your first major Aryna Sabalenka.You fought hard all the way with great power and passion.Bad luck Elena Rybakina, your poise under pressure is a wonderful trait. A classic contest between two classy competitors.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What an encouraging message to players who combat mental hurdles, Sabalenka never gave up and yes, you can overcome massive service yips! She gutted out a well deserved win, winners galore.

Next time i play and start DFing I will mutter to myself:….”Channel Sabalenka..”

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What an encouraging message to players who combat mental hurdles, Sabalenka never gave up and yes, you can overcome massive service yips! She gutted out a well deserved win, winners galore.

Next time i play and start DFing I will mutter to myself:….”Channel Sabalenka..”
I rather like the idea that, counter-intuitively, she got rid of her sports psychologist, figuring she'd better do this on her own. I have nothing against sports psychologists, but that sounds like a woman who doesn't need on-court coaching, and thinks the way she plays: all-in on herself. Good for her!

I so wanted it for her, but, TBH, I didn't think she'd pull it off, especially after she lost the first set. It was a really good match, especially the last 2 sets, and well-worth staying up for.

Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
"The last game, of course I was a little bit nervous.I kept telling myself, Nobody tells you that it's going to be easy, you just have to work for it, work for it till the last point.I'm super happy that I was able to handle all those emotions and win this one"

Sabalenka.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
" I think Aryna raised her level in the 2nd set. She played really well, aggressive, a bit less mistakes. I should have been also more aggressive in some moments.I had some chances, for sure, to turn it around. But she played really well today. She was strong mentally, physically.I think the quality of the match was good. It was very powerful from both of us"

Rybakina.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sabalenka hit 17 Aces, 51 winners and 28 UFE in a GS final - she was not going to be stopped.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just about to start the Women's Doubles Final,
Roof is closed on Rod Laver Arena, there has been some light showers, quite humid.
Krejcikova/Siniakova (1) vs Aoyama/Shibahara (10) the is the Japanese ladies first time in a GS final

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just about to start the Women's Doubles Final,
Roof is closed on Rod Laver Arena, there has been some light showers, quite humid.
Krejcikova/Siniakova (1) vs Aoyama/Shibahara (10) the is the Japanese ladies first time in a GS final
That sounds like a formidable pair in Krejcikova/Siniakova.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
1st set to Krejickova/Siniakova 64 who played the big points better then their Japanese opponents
CHP for the Czech team Siniakova has been great at the net
Well done to the No 1 seeds Krejickova/Siniakova who are the AO 2023 Doubles Champions winning 64 63 over Aoyama/Shibahara (10)....the Czech team are a great team and their dominance continues.This is their back to back wins at the AO

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Amazing win for Sabalenka. Last year she was so bad with all those double faults and to come and play on this level year after is a great achievement for her.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer