Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
TsarMatt said:
Tomic will win RG without droppin' a set.

While Raonic and Dimitrov are moving up the ladder, poor Bernie is down to 81 in the world. He failed to qualify for Madrid and I believe he's playing Nice? Matt does he have a coach (other than his father) now?

I have an idea for a coach for Bernie...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mce3yiMF4iQ[/video]

Also I of course want Nole to win.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
nehmeth said:
TennisFanatic7 said:
Someone else I chat tennis with raised the point that, while it would be great for Djokovic to complete his career slam, is it a good thing that three guys would have managed to do it in quick succession?

This is pointing towards the court homogeneity debate that I'm sure has been had on here at some point in the past. I would personally prefer to see a bit more difference between the surfaces like there used to be.

The sameness of the court surfaces has been discussed, but Novak winning the French isn't going to make the argument more persuasive.

Let's look at the sport of horse racing. California Chrome is on the verge of winning the Triple Crown, something the world has not seen in 36 years. But in the the course of 5 years, 3 horses won the Triple Crown. Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed accomplished the feat after no horse had done it for 25 years. Sportswriters at the time discussed whether the Triple Crown was 'diminished' because it had been achieved so often, and (seemingly) so easily over so short a period of time.

Having three active players holding career slams may not happen again for 20 years or more... even if the courts are the same. I for one would be happy to see it done. :)

http://www.horseracingnation.com/content/triple_crown_winners#

Can't argue with any of that. Like I say, I'd be happy to see Djokovic get it done, anything would be better from my point of view than Nadal's continuous dominance at Roland Garros because dominance is boring for any player (though I wouldn't be saying that if it was Murray :angel: ).

It's not like Djokovic doesn't deserve to complete the career slam anyway, all three of these guys will go down as all time greats by the time they retire.

That is a good analogy from nehmeth. Dominance is boring from one player, unless it's your player, as you laughingly admit. I didn't care for Pete or Roger because they won everything, though I'm pretty willing to fess up to being a big ol' hypocrite, as I won't be bored at all when Rafa wins his 9th RG trophy.

As you and nehmeth say, if Novak wins the career Slam, and becomes the 3rd to do it in essentially the same generation, it will be down to great players playing at the same time, I think. I doubt it's about to become a regular occurrence.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
I want Roger to win.. (no surprises there), it will be good to have a set of each :D
though I do think Nole will win

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
ftan said:
I want Roger to win.. (no surprises there), it will be good to have a set of each :D

I second that. Given that he has a pair of everything else, including girls and boys,
it is only proper that he gets a pair of RG trophies.;) So, he must win for twins.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kiu said:
What if I did set a poll up for who you think will win it?
Everyone will vote Rafa!

Right?

Not everyone. Several would vote for Novak, which would be reasonable.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I voted for Nole but I'ld be in heaven if Stan the Man made it happen

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
TsarMatt said:
Tomic will win RG without droppin' a set.

While Raonic and Dimitrov are moving up the ladder, poor Bernie is down to 81 in the world. He failed to qualify for Madrid and I believe he's playing Nice? Matt does he have a coach (other than his father) now?
I have no idea what's going on with the Nard Dog, really. He does have a coach (not his father) but that doesn't seem to be helping. Honestly, I attributed his poor form over the years to his oppressive and cruel dad who used to both physically and especially mentally belittle Tomic, but there's more to it than that. He's a slacker. He has had this new coach for around 5-6 months now and he hasn't shown any signs of improvement. His father still has an instrumental roll on the practice courts and all, so my theory is that this new coach really is more for display than anything else. But still, Nardy would prefer to be doing this in his spare time:

tumblr_mk5aueGLeg1s5h0h8o1_250.gif

He better be careful. If he doesn't start boosting that ranking, he may start losing sponsorship. I have a feeling Nike will drop him soon.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
ftan said:

I second that. Given that he has a pair of everything else, including girls and boys,
it is only proper that he gets a pair of RG trophies.;) So, he must win for twins.

There's a crucial pair he lacks when he plays Rafa though... ;)

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:
ftan said:

There's a crucial pair he lacks when he plays Rafa though... ;)

As much as I want to deny that... I will seal my lips :cry:cry

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Kiu said:
Everyone will vote Rafa!

Right?

Which is kinda why a poll like that would be boring, though. You might get a couple of votes for Wawrinka, though most would be either Rafa or Nole. But what would it tell us about the pre-gaming of the French? I've been trying to push for conversations about spoilers/interesting also-rans. To only some success. :puzzled

EDIT: And I'm sure you get some votes for Federer. :blush:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
tented said:
Kiu said:
Everyone will vote Rafa!

Right?

Which is kinda why a poll like that would be boring, though. You might get a couple of votes for Wawrinka, though most would be either Rafa or Nole. But what would it tell us about the pre-gaming of the French? I've been trying to push for conversations about spoilers/interesting also-rans. To only some success. :puzzled

Are you doing that primarily to make your mind stop worrying about Rafa losing this RG? :puzzled

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:
tented said:
Kiu said:
Everyone will vote Rafa!

Right?

Are you doing that primarily to make your mind stop worrying about Rafa losing this RG? :puzzled

Nope, I'm doing it in hope's of finally winning the draw challenge!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:
I am yet to see Rafa being defeated at RG in 5 sets.

Did you close your eyes in 2009?

No they were wide open

I gave Robin all the credit in that match by the way

I should have stated....I am yet to see Rafa being defeated in 5 sets in a final at RG.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
fashionista said:
fashionista said:
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:
I am yet to see Rafa being defeated at RG in 5 sets.

Did you close your eyes in 2009?

No they were wide open

I gave Robin all the credit in that match by the way

I should have stated....I am yet to see Rafa being defeated in 5 sets in a final at RG.

It's incredible he's only had to go a full 5 sets on clay four times, and only twice at RG, yet has played a total of 21 five-setters.

I also suspect the next time he loses at RG, it will be in fewer than five sets. I'm not saying that will definitely be this year. Or even the next. Just that when it does happen again, it won't go five.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I too think Nadal will lose in less than 5 sets this year and also, that it will be before
the finals. However, if both Nadal and Novak manage to reach the final, I think it will
probably go to a full five sets and we will have an epic match like 2008 Wimby.
After all Novak could not play Rafa in 2011, lost in 4 in 2012 and then lost in 5 in 2013.
That is the right progression (that Nadal had at Wimby before 2008).

However, I am very sure that after this year's anticipated loss, Nadal will come
back and win at least one more RG. So, I would not call a Rafa loss at RG this year
is end of life for Rafa.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, he "could" play Rafa in 2011 if he'd won the semi. He obviously wasn't playing so well in Paris as he had been...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I too think Nadal will lose in less than 5 sets this year and also, that it will be before
the finals.

That's not at all what I said.