• Poll closed .

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Kiu said:
Moxie629 said:
Kiu said:
It's nice for a change, may be we get more voters that do not want to be identified.

If someone wants to tell us who they voted for, that's fine too.
Live with it tented!

I voted for Nole, I really like to see him get Rafa's hold of this slam loose.

After making a blind poll, you identified your choice. I find that curious. What is the point of a completely blind poll? So that people can punch buttons without fear of ridicule? If we can't talk about our choices, and defend and debate them, why do we make a poll, or have a conversation about it? If someone wants to vote anonymously, then why would they even bother? It doesn't affect the outcome of the match.
Moxie, nothing affects the outcome of the match...should we stop posting?

What if you wanted to vote Nole?
Or Nehmeth wanted Rafa...
:s

I chose to reveal mine but others don't have to.

You all can't digest fun? Does it always have to make sense?

If I want to vote Nole I will (#whenHellfreezesover), and nehmeth has no fear of voting Rafa…he does, at times (#morefairpersonthanIam.) I don't see how that makes a private poll more attractive to users. It's still fun, and I don't think it all has to make sense, so there we agree. :)

Um, in a place where supposedly everyone has a right to their opinion, maybe it's better just to let a poster choose the privacy option if they want to... and maybe allow guests to vote even. Some people are afraid of being wrong, so maybe they feel safer remaining anonymous. Or it may gall someone to vote for the player they think will win and don't want the whole board seeing it. Their reasons are their reasons and should be respected. If the Admins have such a problem with it, take the privacy option away, but don't harangue posters for using it.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
I voted for Djokovic. I feel that he's currently a better clay court player than Nadal, and in the likely event that they meet in the final, he has a mental edge having won their last four clashes in a row.

I'd love to see Murray win it but I just don't think it's realistic. I can't see Federer beating Nadal at the French. The next most likely guy after the aforementioned two is possibly Stan but after Madrid and Rome you can't even guarantee he'll be around in the second week.

This is the year for Djokovic to complete his career Grand Slam.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Hey TennisFanatic7, great blog!

Welcome to the forum... :)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Welcome to the boards TF7!! :celeb:

Have enjoyed what you posted thus far and looking forward to more. I see you're a fan of Andy. Hope you get to know Iona - she's wonderful person and a stalwart Murray supporter.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Hi Kiu! I was surprised to see people having such trouble with your poll . You were clear when you wrote - Who do you want to win?

I think it is because there doesn't seem to be much point in asking who you want to win, because it is just another way of asking "who is your favorite player?" Almost everyone would vote for their favorite in who you want to win.

I want Roger to win, of course, although I think it is Novak's year.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Stan wins this one and goes on to complete the season grand slam, losing early in all the other none slam tournaments.

Nah, not possible...is it? I mean, the "losing early in all other tournaments" part :snigger .He should make a semi here and there.

R

Rose

Sorry, but the question of the survey seems a little off to me. Who I want to win and who I think is going to win just might not be the same player :angel:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am yet to see Rafa being defeated at RG in 5 sets in a final.
I will vote for Rafa even though his clay game is still suspect in some area's.
My other choice will be Novak...he is one of my favourite players and I would be delighted if he won and completed his career slam.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
nehmeth said:
If the Admins have such a problem with it, take the privacy option away, but don't harangue posters for using it.

If we wanted to take it away, we'd take it away. We don't, so we haven't.

Like everyone else, however, we're allowed to our opinions, and to express them publicly. Questioning someone as to why they made the decision to make a poll private isn't haranguing them. Just as the numerous people on this thread who have said it's a confusing and unclear poll aren't haranguing anyone, either.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
Someone else I chat tennis with raised the point that, while it would be great for Djokovic to complete his career slam, is it a good thing that three guys would have managed to do it in quick succession?

This is pointing towards the court homogeneity debate that I'm sure has been had on here at some point in the past. I would personally prefer to see a bit more difference between the surfaces like there used to be.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Someone else I chat tennis with raised the point that, while it would be great for Djokovic to complete his career slam, is it a good thing that three guys would have managed to do it in quick succession?

This is pointing towards the court homogeneity debate that I'm sure has been had on here at some point in the past. I would personally prefer to see a bit more difference between the surfaces like there used to be.

The sameness of the court surfaces has been discussed, but Novak winning the French isn't going to make the argument more persuasive.

Let's look at the sport of horse racing. California Chrome is on the verge of winning the Triple Crown, something the world has not seen in 36 years. But prior to this present stretch, in the the course of 5 years, 3 horses won the Triple Crown. Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed accomplished the feat after no horse had done it for 25 years. Sportswriters at the time discussed whether the Triple Crown was 'diminished' because it had been achieved so often, and (seemingly) so easily over so short a period of time.

Having three active players holding career slams may not happen again for 20 years or more... even if the courts are the same. I for one would be happy to see it done. :)

http://www.horseracingnation.com/content/triple_crown_winners#

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
nehmeth said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

The sameness of the court surfaces has been discussed, but Novak winning the French isn't going to make the argument more persuasive.

Let's look at the sport of horse racing. California Chrome is on the verge of winning the Triple Crown, something the world has not seen in 36 years. But in the the course of 5 years, 3 horses won the Triple Crown. Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed accomplished the feat after no horse had done it for 25 years. Sportswriters at the time discussed whether the Triple Crown was 'diminished' because it had been achieved so often, and (seemingly) so easily over so short a period of time.

Having three active players holding career slams may not happen again for 20 years or more... even if the courts are the same. I for one would be happy to see it done. :)

http://www.horseracingnation.com/content/triple_crown_winners#

Can't argue with any of that. Like I say, I'd be happy to see Djokovic get it done, anything would be better from my point of view than Nadal's continuous dominance at Roland Garros because dominance is boring for any player (though I wouldn't be saying that if it was Murray :angel: ).

It's not like Djokovic doesn't deserve to complete the career slam anyway, all three of these guys will go down as all time greats by the time they retire.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
One "aside" comment - During Bjorn Borg's dominance in tennis winning both French and Wimbledon championships on two vastly different surfaces, he was never able to win the US Open, even when it was being played on the green clay from 1975-1977. One would think the relative similarity between the green and red clay would have made him a shoo-in to win.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
At the time Borg was playing, I was a kid living in the suburbs of Philadelphia... we played juniors on green clay at our club and the red clay at Germantown Cricket Club (where Bill Tilden used to play). I loved both surfaces and while the differences were there, if you played well on one, you'd play well on the other. So... it must have been the jetlag. :snigger

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:

Have enjoyed what you posted thus far and looking forward to more. I see you're a fan of Andy. Hope you get to know Iona - she's wonderful person and a stalwart Murray supporter.

Aww shucks :blush:

Welcome to the forum TF7. Thanks for posting your blogs. I really enjoyed reading them. Glad I'm not the only one that would love to see Andy win RG. My boy likes to make history so who knows.

Roll on the grass. I mean Roland Garros. ;)

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
Iona16 said:
nehmeth said:

Aww shucks :blush:

Welcome to the forum TF7. Thanks for posting your blogs. I really enjoyed reading them. Glad I'm not the only one that would love to see Andy win RG. My boy likes to make history so who knows.

Roll on the grass. I mean Roland Garros. ;)

Thanks. My pleasure, good to get some readers/traffic :cool: .

The grass court season starts the weekend after the last of my finals (which look like they'll lead me to miss the Garros semis :cry), so definitely bring on the grass!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Must have been the jet lag? :huh:

Or the "jet set" in NYC? Tennis players in the 70s like to supplement their training with a fair amount of partying.

Welcome aboard, TF7!