AO Mens Final: Novak Djokovic v Rafael Nadal

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal. But i have no interest and won't bother to watch for reasons i have talked about before.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal has a lot to win with this final. The double career slam, putting Novak out of contention for his (already small) GOAT chances, and of course making Fed's record very reachable.

On top of that he is playing great of course. Already noticed during Wimbledon, his game is more aggressive and polished, actually really exciting to watch.

But the buck stops here. Novak needs to bring nothing less than his very best and if he does, he wins. Novak in 5.

King Roger

Club Member
Reactions
Lets hope Novak wins and ends this farcical final. Nadal was “injured” 2 weeks ago ......Says a lot doesn’t it

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I doubt Rafa will be able to bully his opponent the way he did Tsissypants in the semifinal. If Nole can withstand the initial onslaught, Rafa could lose in three. Picking the #1 to do it iin 4.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I doubt Rafa will be able to bully his opponent the way he did Tsissypants in the semifinal. If Nole can withstand the initial onslaught, Rafa could lose in three. Picking the #1 to do it iin 4.

I have the Wimbledon semi in mind which was way too close to my liking, but Novak did look great today, so I hope you are right.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Bookies give the close edge to Novak atm.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I have the Wimbledon semi in mind which was way too close to my liking, but Novak did look great today, so I hope you are right.

Wimby semi, Djokovic was on his way back. His run of wins from that point on? No doubt Rafa’s team made good use of the time off to get his body ready. That always helps his confidence. If Novak comes out diffident and plays tentatively? It could be a long day. After 50+ matches between them, they both know what they need to do. I just think the Serb will execute his gameplan.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Well Nadal better hope the Wimbledon semi isn't on his mind because we all know he let a very tame version of Djokovic somehow steal that match. I figure both guys are a lot stronger now than that match. I have a bad feeling Nads won't be denied but clearly if Nole brings his best he wins on hard courts vs anyone.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Wimby semi, Djokovic was on his way back. His run of wins from that point on? No doubt Rafa’s team made good use of the time off to get his body ready. That always helps his confidence. If Novak comes out diffident and plays tentatively? It could be a long day. After 50+ matches between them, they both know what they need to do. I just think the Serb will execute his gameplan.

They always make good use of time to get his body "ready" ;)

Reactions: nehmeth

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was expecting a Nadal win because he had the better tournament, but after seeing the scoreline of Djokovic's semi final against Pouille, now I'm not sure anymore. It's going to be a 50-50 thing, definitely a difficult match for both.

Nadal is going for the Double Career Slam and 18th overall, probably has on his mind the revenge for the 2012 AO and 2018 WB. Djokovic is going for a record 7th AO and 15th overall and has the advantage of the surface and his history at the tournament. I don't like Djokovic, he has a bad attitude as soon as things don't go his way, screaming at his team, at ball kids, breaking rackets, etc. I always hope for a Nadal win against anyone, but even more against an annoying player like Djokovic. :negative:

Too bad it's at 3:30 am eastern time because I won't be able to watch it cause I have to sleep for work. One thing is for sure, these 2 champions are not far behind Federer and have time on their side. Djokovic can break the tie-record with Federer with a 7th AO and keep putting in jeopardy Federer's weeks at no.1 record, or Nadal can get the iconic Double Career Slam and 18th overall which would put him very close to Federer's slam record. It's amazing how these 3 keep making history after so many years, Federer won't retire anytime soon with these 2 on his heels like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Smith

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well Nadal better hope the Wimbledon semi isn't on his mind because we all know he let a very tame version of Djokovic somehow steal that match. I figure both guys are a lot stronger now than that match. I have a bad feeling Nads won't be denied but clearly if Nole brings his best he wins on hard courts vs anyone.
mate, i only saw a portion of the wimbly match as i am not really interested in the sport after Federer loses, but wasn't Nadal's downfall also caused by the topspin of his groundies not effective or bitting off the grasscourts? Here it will be a different story. Nadal's going to prevail maybe in 4.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
mate, i only saw a portion of the wimbly match as i am not really interested in the sport after Federer loses, but wasn't Nadal's downfall also caused by the topspin of his groundies not effective or bitting off the grasscourts? Here it will be a different story. Nadal's going to prevail maybe in 4.

The match was indoors but it is a translucent roof at Wimbledon and the conditions were a dream that fortnight for Nadal. Djokovic was also at about 70% of his abilities if that. Nadal will need to be brutally aggressive and consistent throughout otherwise Nole tunes him. It goes without saying Nadal has to play at his max ability more than Djokovic who is a much better player at AO and anywhere except clay.

Rafa has been playing tremendous the whole 2 weeks. People were saying he didn't look that great until the semi but from the times I've seen him that level has been the norm.

Reactions: Vince Evert

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal's dismembering of Tsitsipas reminded me a little of the way he was playing during his US Open 2010 campaign. After that final against Djokovic I turned off feeling that the Serb was going to have his work cut out ever beating Nadal in a major final again. I clearly got that pretty badly wrong... and I hope I'm wrong that Nadal wins on Sunday!

Reactions: Fiero425