Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rublev in 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The tyrant Putin is saying, ‘Vladivostok, glad this Sputnik play under white flag. Nobody know he from mother Russia. Where my map? Who next? Feed me woman. Me need to shit. Vot voz me think…’

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
PMac actually had some constructive advice for Hair Dude to get better. He suggested he bring some variety into his game by developing a S/V to throw in at times.
Gee I have been saying that for years, add variety to his game, lol! he hasnt done so far, and he has new coach in his team

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
PMac actually had some constructive advice for Hair Dude to get better. He suggested he bring some variety into his game by developing a S/V to throw in at times.
I dont think he has the guts and mentality to add S and V into his game. I think he just wants to wait behind the baseline and try to out hit his opponents.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agree he does have to get a new mindset to add S.V in his game,
A lot of us have said that Rublev's problem is that Plan B is "hit harder." What he did wrong, @El Dude, according to the commies, was to go for winners when all he needed to do sometimes was keep the ball in play and make Novak hit another ball at, say, break point down. He had a shaky Novak out there for a set+, and he's not tactical enough to know what to do with that.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A lot of us have said that Rublev's problem is that Plan B is "hit harder." What he did wrong, @El Dude, according to the commies, was to go for winners when all he needed to do sometimes was keep the ball in play and make Novak hit another ball at, say, break point down. He had a shaky Novak out there for a set+, and he's not tactical enough to know what to do with that.
I agree he did have Novak on shaky grounds for a set and had chances with BPs to win the 3rd set, and was clueless, what shot to play
He still has 'great hair' :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kskate2

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s a pity these young guys lack the killer instinct. Unfortunately it has been like this for as long the game has existed. How is it possible that you have a player winning more than 6 titles at the same tournament? I am with you people. We need gutsy youngsters!!

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That's a secondary problem, imo. His primary problem was that Novak is just so damn good. He--like Roger and Rafa--has a "mid-range game" that is untouchable but all but a few of their peers, and only when they are playing at their absolute best.

Still, to this day, Novak can't be beaten by the "muggles" unless something is wrong - at least not on Wimbledon. I hope to be proven wrong in the SF or F, but it is hard to see it.

Don't forget that one of Novak's great qualities is his ability to adjust to the competition. If Rublev had played with more finesse, Novak would have adjusted. He's like the great doppelganger (or chameleon) of tennis history - he can pretty much play any style, take any approach. Whatever is necessary. The only players that seem to beat him when he's at his best is Rafa on clay or Roger on super fast courts.

That said, I do think Alcaraz's A game might beat Novak's B game, although maybe not at Wimbledon - certainly not in a final. Novak will have to slip further. Rune has the potential too, but as much as I want him to win it, I don't think he's there quite yet. Although who knows, maybe it is now that he finds that extra level.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's a secondary problem, imo. His primary problem was that Novak is just so damn good. He--like Roger and Rafa--has a "mid-range game" that is untouchable but all but a few of their peers, and only when they are playing at their absolute best.

Still, to this day, Novak can't be beaten by the "muggles" unless something is wrong - at least not on Wimbledon. I hope to be proven wrong in the SF or F, but it is hard to see it.
Don't forget that one of Novak's great qualities is his ability to adjust to the competition. If Rublev had played with more finesse, Novak would have adjusted. He's like the great doppelganger (or chameleon) of tennis history - he can pretty much play any style, take any approach. Whatever is necessary. The only players that seem to beat him when he's at his best is Rafa on clay or Roger on super fast courts.
I wasn't necessarily saying that Rublev could have beaten Novak...I never thought he would. I went Novak in 4. I gave Rublev the 1 set for his experience at this kind of level, and for Novak's nerves, or tiredness, and that's what he got. What you said was that Rublev did nothing wrong. I was only mentioning what I think Rublev did wrong. Which is much more about Rublev's game and its one-dimensionality than about Novak. A player with more tools might have taken more advantage of Novak's rough start. Beat him? Another story.
That said, I do think Alcaraz's A game might beat Novak's B game, although maybe not at Wimbledon - certainly not in a final. Novak will have to slip further. Rune has the potential too, but as much as I want him to win it, I don't think he's there quite yet. Although who knows, maybe it is now that he finds that extra level.
I've said all along, I think Novak only loses here if he gets picked off early. If he loses before the trophy ceremony, at this stage, I have to think he, and the pressure of history, would have contributed more than a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: El Dude