2023 US Open SF: Keys vs. Sabalenka

Who wins this US Open semifinal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Thanks everyone for joining us on the live chat. Please come back this weekend for the last few days of the slam season

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Keys choked this one. No way around it. Keys was the better player in this match (she won 18 games, compared to Sabalenka's 14, and even bageled Sabalenka), but she still found a way to lose. Keys really should have won this 6-0, 6-2 (maybe 6-0, 6-4 worst case scenario).

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Any thoughts on what happened to Madison in the 2nd set Tbr Rennae said that she was nervous midway through the 2nd set ,@kskate2 @MargaretMcAleer @Moxie @tented
I didn’t watch it live last night, but I DVR’ed it and watched this morning. Based on that, I agree with Stubbs: after failing to serve it out in the 2nd, Madison played a shaky, nervy TB. You could see it spinning out of control. To her credit, she got it together enough to take it to a match TB, but again got too nervous to play as confidently and powerfully as she needed to take down Sabalenka, who turned on the afterburners.

Reactions: tossip and Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Keys choked this one. No way around it. Keys was the better player in this match (she won 18 games, compared to Sabalenka's 14, and even bageled Sabalenka), but she still found a way to lose. Keys really should have won this 6-0, 6-2 (maybe 6-0, 6-4 worst case scenario).
I don't know why she got tight.. poor lady this one is gonna sting for a while..God Bless her

• Sad
Reactions: Moxie and tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I don't know why she got tight.. poor lady this one is gonna sting for a while..God Bless her
It’s the difference which separates true champions from everyone else: the ability to close out big matches. Madison doesn’t have that special sauce, whereas Sabalenka raised her game when it was most needed.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching Madison Keys press conference after her loss at the SF, Madison left after a couple of minutes in tears,
" Sports at times can be cruel"
Serving for the match , as a tennis player you know that your opponent is going to be even more nervous than you may be.. what I try to is clear my mind and make that I get my first serve in but try to win the first two points.. I try to finish with the body serves or kicker because it allows more time to come forward to the net..One of my team captain told me..with your pro serve you are gonna scare the HELL out of anyone..So my thoughts were to bring the big serve at 40-0 or 40-15 and come in behind it but stop to take my split steps so I don't give my opponent an angle. Maddie can either sulk on what could have been or suck it up knowing that when she is focused she is a very dangerous top ten player today.

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Serving for the match , as a tennis player you know that your opponent is going to be even more nervous than you may be.. what I try to is clear my mind and make that I get my first serve in but try to win the first two points.. I try to finish with the body serves or kicker because it allows more time to come forward to the net..One of my team captain told me..with your pro serve you are gonna scare the HELL out of anyone..So my thoughts were to bring the big serve at 40-0 or 40-15 and come in behind it but stop to take my split steps so I don't give my opponent an angle. Maddie can either sulk on what could have been or suck it up knowing that when she is focused she is a very dangerous top ten player today.

In the live rankings, she’s up to No. 11. It would be great if she could get up to the top 8 and get into the year end championship.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
In the live rankings, she’s up to No. 11. It would be great if she could get up to the top 8 and get into the year end championship.
True Bro, Maddie wanted the PRIZE plus the 3 million dollars like @tossip said she can pay for that rock of ring ...I don't know Bjorn financial status but his megar wins on the Challenger events CAN'T afford it..

• Sad
Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
True Bro, Maddie wanted the PRIZE plus the 3 million dollars like @tossip said she can pay for that rock of ring ...I don't know Bjorn financial status but his megar wins on the Challenger events CAN'T afford it..
I really feel for Keys and her interview after the match is really sad.She lost focus after losing serve whilst serving for the match.I hope she don't have to beat herself down because this too shall pass.I hope she wins one before she retires for you and all her fans.

• Sad
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I really feel for Keys and her interview after the match is really sad.She lost focus after losing serve whilst serving for the match.I hope she don't have to beat herself down because this too shall pass.I hope she wins one before she retires for you and all her fans.
Good post my friend..I feel for her too...like MM said "Sports at times can be cruel"

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I dont believe in 'Woulda Coulda Shoulda Won, saying a player should have won 60 62 is hypothetical and misleading, sometimes in a tennis match stats are misleading, yes Keys was in front in the 2nd set, though lets give some credit to Sabalenka okay who found her range and upped her game she was too good for Madison in the 2nd TB and also the 3rd set,, I believe you didnt watch the whole match, I suggest if you get a chance to watch it on replay do.
BTW I did pick Saba to win in 3 sets.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Om Monday 11 September Coco Gauff and Jess Pegula will become the new co-ranked WTA World No 1 doubles players. Well done Coco and Jess!
( this first all American team since 2012, when Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond were the No 1 ranked doubles team)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I dont believe in 'Woulda Coulda Shoulda Won, saying a player should have won 60 62 is hypothetical and misleading, sometimes in a tennis match stats are misleading, yes Keys was in front in the 2nd set, though lets give some credit to Sabalenka okay who found her range and upped her game she was too good for Madison in the 2nd TB and also the 3rd set,, I believe you didnt watch the whole match, I suggest if you get a chance to watch it on replay do.
BTW I did pick Saba to win in 3 sets.
You also have to look at it like Djoke did at Wimby. Saba has lost some that she should have won and then she won last night when she should have lost. Same thing could be said about the Auz final. She was behind for most of that match and then she would not be denied at the end.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You also have to look at it like Djoke did at Wimby. Saba has lost some that she should have won and then she won last night when she should have lost. Same thing could be said about the Auz final. She was behind for most of that match and then she would not be denied at the end.
I remember that AO match this year we were on chat and we all held our breaths and in the end she won, she does have a habit of doing that lol!

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan