• Poll closed .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
If Meddy serve and move like this he will beat Novak in straight sets again

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If this is peaking for the final, he's done a good job.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Novak was showing vulnerability in closing v. Shelton, he's going to have trouble v. this Medvedev.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This version of Medvedev has to show up on Sunday.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
However, if Medvedev tuned up Alcaraz for Novak in the Wimbledon final, it's very possible that Alcaraz tuned up Medvedev for this USO final.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
OK, everyone, I’m going to turn off the live chat. Thanks for joining us! You can continue on the thread.

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
I wanted carlos and novak in finals but in a way i feel good for medvedev. He’s too good to be swept aside like a joke, as alcaraz has done to him lately. Now he’s shown alcaraz that when he’s on, he’s no joke

Medvedev did a lot of things well. He served great, returned great. His winner/ufe was 38/32 vs alcaraz 45/38. This shows me he was aggresive and he was, he needed to go after carlos. He also attached carlos’ fh which may be what he observed worked for novak.

Medvedev is tough for novak, novak has to be patient and his impose his better ahot making in a grinding long match. If he tries to hit through medvdeev, he will miss a lot, get frustrated and lose. Medvedev is tricky as he is a human back board but has sneaky power and a massive serve.

Reactions: nehmeth

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As a post-game, I was surprised, yet not surprised by a let down from Alcaraz, and surprised, and pleasantly so, but how much game Medvedev brought today. If it wasn't his best showing ever, it was close to it. He's certainly peaking at the right time. Hopefully, this wasn't the peak, and he'll bring it on Sunday.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As a post-game, I was surprised, yet not surprised by a let down from Alcaraz, and surprised, and pleasantly so, but how much game Medvedev brought today. If it wasn't his best showing ever, it was close to it. He's certainly peaking at the right time. Hopefully, this wasn't the peak, and he'll bring it on Sunday.
The very good part too Moxie is that Medvedev already beat Djokovic on his way to the Dubai title, so he will not lacking confidence that's for sure.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wanted carlos and novak in finals but in a way i feel good for medvedev. He’s too good to be swept aside like a joke, as alcaraz has done to him lately. Now he’s shown alcaraz that when he’s on, he’s no joke

Medvedev did a lot of things well. He served great, returned great. His winner/ufe was 38/32 vs alcaraz 45/38. This shows me he was aggresive and he was, he needed to go after carlos. He also attached carlos’ fh which may be what he observed worked for novak.

Medvedev is tough for novak, novak has to be patient and his impose his better ahot making in a grinding long match. If he tries to hit through medvdeev, he will miss a lot, get frustrated and lose. Medvedev is tricky as he is a human back board but has sneaky power and a massive serve.
I don't see why you would call either Medvedev or Alcaraz a "joke." But I do think that Medvedev was in danger of becoming an also-ran to Novak and Carlos, and he wasn't having it, obviously, so good for him for the step-up.

Reactions: Kieran

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The thing about Medvedev is that Djokovic knows he can't go into long rallies with him. And if Djokovic does becomes aggressive, he has to be precise because if he is not, then Medvedev will pounce on him.

As for Medvedev, if he serves well AND he is hitting his CCFH aggressively, then he wins on Sunday.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz at 20 years of age will have plenty more time for titles etc, hardest thing to do in tennis is to defend your GS title,
Meddy played a very smart match, and if he can show that in the final I believe he can win against Novak.
As I have said before I would rather a player having a harder SF and win then to just walk into a GS final and that is what Meddy has done.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Over 3 million dollars that's a lot of money for the Russian he will be ready

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The very good part too Moxie is that Medvedev already beat Djokovic on his way to the Dubai title, so he will not lacking confidence that's for sure.
Medvedev should walk onto the court on Sunday with every confidence. And Novak, should, too, but he'll have more doubts. Not just because Daniil beat him there last time they played in a final, but for all the finals he's lost there. With the window closing. As stressed as he looked late in the 3rd set today v. Shelton, I don't see the stress getting less.

Reactions: rafanoy1992