2022 Grass season preview

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah watched the highlights too and agree he looked very sharp. Not much you can do about being aced but when the ball was in play he was doing well. Interesting camera angle on the highlights too which really showed the speed the ball travels. FAA made a ton of errors and quite lame ones at that but also a lot of aces.
Yeah, very interesting cameras angle. The court seemed to be playing fairly fast but Rafa wasn’t flopping about like a fish out of water. He looks calm and contained. FAA looks sharp too..

Reactions: Front242

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, very interesting cameras angle. The court seemed to be playing fairly fast but Rafa wasn’t flopping about like a fish out of water. He looks calm and contained. FAA looks sharp too..
I can see FAA losing possibly to Cressy tbh in his first match. FAA has the serve and shots to be much better than he is but makes far too many errors. His grass results so far have been poor this year. Time to watch Cressy v Fritz now.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I can see FAA losing possibly to Cressy tbh in his first match. Time to watch Cressy v Fritz now.
I don’t know, FAA has been brilliant at the slams this year, only close five set defeats to Rafa and Medvedev. I think FAA will be a player to avoid at Wimbledon. The usual caveat though - getting through the early matches. Cressy won’t be a pushover, but we’ll learn a lot about Felix from that match..

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I don’t know, FAA has been brilliant at the slams this year, only close five set defeats to Rafa and Medvedev. I think FAA will be a player to avoid at Wimbledon. The usual caveat though - getting through the early matches. Cressy won’t be a pushover, but we’ll learn a lot about Felix from that match..
Is Cressy the player with the serve & volley game who gave Medevdev trouble at the AO?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well Kyrgios isn't exactly the blueprint for serving as he's very fast but I could do with way faster on average than Nadal, Djokovic, Del Potro when he was playing, Tsitsipas and Cilic. It makes it painful to watch and it's just not fair on the opponent.
Front, the 3-5 second you are referring to doesn't bother the opponent as much as it appears via television theater. Afterwards a point, the returner is trying to quickly problem solving and really the extra second secs can be an hindrance for some players. Most servers have a tell that quickly provide assistance to what type of return they want to imply on the ball.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, it seemed gimmicky at the time but who knows, at Wimbledon?
Kieran and the southern Italian..Cressy has a compact and complete serve and volley game but his combos are predictable. His groundstrokes are squeaky and he will get carved up by a better like Fritz or better.

Reactions: TheSicilian

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AP
If you are around Toni was congratulating the Young Greek in Mallorca Chmapionships on his first grass title, probably one of the reasons he is not with FAA at Wimbledon

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran and the southern Italian..Cressy has a compact and complete serve and volley game but his combos are predictable. His groundstrokes are squeaky and he will get carved up by a better like Fritz or better.
Fritz carved him up so badly he lost by a whopping 2 points in a 3rd set tiebreak!

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafanoy if you are around, like what I am reading from Darren Cahill on Jannik Sinner,

"Jannik is one of the most interesting talents in tennis and so I have followed his evolution.And in person he confirmed the idea I had formed.An extremely polite guy, hard worker and passionate about his work.Which makes everything easier"

I know for a fact Cahill will not put up with anyone that doesn't work hard, I remember he and Halep had had a parting of the ways once,Cahill didn't like her attitude, she cleaned up her act and they got back together.

Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Speaking of Sinner, he has a tough opening round and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 5 sets against Wawrinka. Old, bashed up dude just back from recent foot surgery versus young, bashed up dude frequently injured. :popcorn

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Speaking of Sinner, he has a tough opening round and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 5 sets against Wawrinka. Old, bashed up dude just back from recent foot surgery versus young, bashed up dude frequently injured. :popcorn
Sinner has had knee troubles reason he had to retire in his match at RG, though he said he had treatment on it before he came to the grass, still grass has not been his best surface,actually I could see Stan beating him.Happy that Cahill is coaching him, great addition to his team

Reactions: Front242

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner has had knee troubles reason he had to retire in his match at RG, though he said he had treatment on it before he came to the grass, still grass has not been his best surface,actually I could see Stan beating him.Happy that Cahill is coaching him, great addition to his team
Great news alright about Cahill. Just hope he can build up Sinner physically to make him more resilient so he stops getting injured so often and needs to work on his serve. Fix both of those and he'll be a much better player. Yup, could see Stan beating him too and then having nothing left for the next round. I'll be taking the > 3.5 sets for that as the safest option. Could go either way. 4 or 5 set win for either. Don't see it being straight sets to either guy.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great news alright about Cahill. Just hope he can build up Sinner physically to make him more resilient so he stops getting injured so often and needs to work on his serve. Fix both of those and he'll be a much better player.
Jannik needs to get into the gym for strength training and to build some muscle for starters, agree he is getting injured too frequently for a youngster,for a tall player he should have a better serve, though he returns well and is good off both wings.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Jannik needs to get into the gym for strength training and to build some muscle for starters, agree he is getting injured too frequently for a youngster,for a tall player he should have a better serve, though he returns well and is good off both wings.
Yup, chicken legs second only to Gilles Simon.

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I understand that the Hurlingham Tournament is an exhibition tournament,Alcaraz has lost both of his matches there, one to Tiafoe and to Ruud of all players,
Alcaraz plays Struff on Monday, who is a tough player, on the grass.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafanoy if you are around, like what I am reading from Darren Cahill on Jannik Sinner,

"Jannik is one of the most interesting talents in tennis and so I have followed his evolution.And in person he confirmed the idea I had formed.An extremely polite guy, hard worker and passionate about his work.Which makes everything easier"

I know for a fact Cahill will not put up with anyone that doesn't work hard, I remember he and Halep had had a parting of the ways once,Cahill didn't like her attitude, she cleaned up her act and they got back together.
Great to hear. I am hoping for a great 2023 season from Sinner IF he listens to Cahill and prepare his body correctly. I do wonder when will Cahill start Sinner on his training block.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great to hear. I am hoping for a great 2023 season from Sinner IF he listens to Cahill and prepare his body correctly. I do wonder when will Cahill start Sinner on his training block.
We will have to see,,I keep you posted if I hear any more news