2020 USO SF: Serena Williams vs. Victoria Azarenka

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Yep. It needed to be straight sets. Even then, I’m not sure she could have beaten Osaka in the final. I’m becoming increasingly afraid no. 24 is never going to happen.
Yep. It's looking like a long shot now. I can't see her winning at RG, but stranger things have happened. It would really be a kick in the gut if Vika wins on Sat and wins a slam as a mom before Serena could do it.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yep. It's looking like a long shot now. I can't see her winning at RG, but stranger things have happened. It would really be a kick in the gut if Vika wins on Sat and wins a slam as a mom before Serena could do it.

I mean Kim came back and won as a mom. Maybe this is what Serena needs something to fuel her to greater things. Vika winning as a mom before she does.

I think Serena and Patrick need to go back to the drawing board and figure out what Serena needs to do to get past this hurdle. Maybe Serena will get a relatively kind draw in Paris.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I mean Kim came back and won as a mom. Maybe this is what Serena needs something to fuel her to greater things. Vika winning as a mom before she does.

I think Serena and Patrick need to go back to the drawing board and figure out what Serena needs to do to get past this hurdle. Maybe Serena will get a relatively kind draw in Paris.
One thing the clay does is expose poor movement because you have to rally more to win points on the dirt. She can't come to Paris w/ poor footwork and expect the serve to bail her out. I don't think Patrick needs a different game plan. She has to remain consistent over 2 sets. She just may not be able to do that.

I do agree Vika winning first would light a fire under her to get 24 done.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I feel like before Serena became a mom she had this fire to destroy players like Maria and Vika on the court. The media came for Serena and threw things at her that she would use to go on to bigger and better things. Now she doesn’t have any of that driving her. I will say this was probably her most competitive slam since her return where she fought. It was better than watching her plow through the field only to reach the final and watch her act like a spectator in her own matches.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have to put up my hand I did vote for Vika in 3 sets
Still when I left the match at 2 all in the 2nd set I thought Serena would win in straight sets
Going back to watch the 3rd set

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I feel like before Serena became a mom she had this fire to destroy players like Maria and Vika on the court. The media came for Serena and threw things at her that she would use to go on to bigger and better things. Now she doesn’t have any of that driving her. I will say this was probably her most competitive slam since her return where she fought. It was better than watching her plow through the field only to reach the final and watch her act like a spectator in her own matches.

She definitely had a killer instinct before her maternity leave. Maybe motherhood has softened her up some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
She definitely had a killer instinct before her maternity leave. Maybe motherhood has softened her up some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serena to me did take her foot off the pedal,I am not taking away Vika's win over Serena,she started to neuturalize Serena's serve,tidy up her UFE in the match.

I did read Serena will go to Paris,though it would really surprise me if she won,though stranger things have happened.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Vika!!!! That's as good a women's tennis match as I've seen in a long long time. Serena played at an extremely high level, so much so, I doubt she'll actually be too upset about the loss. But so happy for my girl. She's back! Sadly either of these two will probably get squashed by Osaka. She just too fast with too much easy power. Good thing I like her too!