Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Thiem in five sets

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominic Thiem leads the H2H match up 2-1 over Medvedev, however Medvedev won their most recent encounter in the 2019 Canadian Open.

Now, this is potential to be an all out war. Unfortunately, this is only the semi-final not final itself. This is the ideal opposite style clash between a clever defensive master in Medvedev against an athletic offensive guru in Thiem.

Assuming they do not tire themselves out too much, the winner of this match will more than likely will in the US Open thus either guy's first slam.

It is truly close call, but I am going with Medvedev in 5 sets. I think the US Open hardcourts suit his game very well and he showed his mental coolness against a very dangerous Andrey Rublev. I would not be surprised at all if Thiem wins in 5 sets either.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Both gave Nadal an epic classic five set match at the U.S. Open! I can’t wait to see the match!

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
extremely even on paper, i think Thiem is maybe a bit more deserving as he's been close in so many big matches.........should've won against Djoker at AO as he was the better player till he ran out of gas.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This will be a matter of who wants it more. Thiem has managed to make it this far without really needing to find his A-Game. He will definitely need it for this and the next match. The serve will be key for both players. Both can be very uneven with their serve.

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This feels like the final - the two best players of the tournament. I'd give the edge to Thiem, but who knows. I voted Thiem in 5.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Daniil will do it, in 4, he is the better player on HC when fit.
Miss Wiener Schnitzel is overrated, won two sets in Melbourne when Novak take a walk outside, after returning to play , easy losing.
Daniil was much closer to win last year against Bob.
But all of them just have to shut up and wait for retirement of the 3 real deals.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Medvedev in 4 sets,he has been the most impressive player of the tournament to me,I know he can go 5 sets if needed.

Reactions: tented

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev in 4 sets,he has been the most impressive player of the tournament to me,I know he can go 5 sets if needed.

Don’t forget Team Theim reportedly drags tree trunks chained to his waist in training sessions. :D

IIRC Theim has the least amount of hours on court of all the SF I can’t see how a 5 setter will exhaust him physically, mentally with both players that is the big question.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Don’t forget Team Theim reportedly drags tree trunks chained to his waist in training sessions. :D

IIRC Theim has the least amount of hours on court of all the SF I can’t see how a 5 setter will exhaust him physically, mentally with both players that is the big question.

Yes and I know he can climb any mountain as well? though in a q/final match I prefer a opponent who has had a tougher match,in preparation for s/final match,which was the case with Medvedev.Theim's match was a practice session,I knew Alex did not have any weapons to upset him.

• Haha

tented

Administrator
Reactions

This is how I’m also thinking it will play out, especially on HCs.

This feels like the final - the two best players of the tournament.

Agreed. Either one of these guys will beat PCB or Zverev in the final.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I went with Medvedev in 4. Thiem is a very solid player but Medvedev's movement on the US Open court is court is absolutely seamless. I think he will also take heed of what happened against Nadal last year when he was too defensive early in the match in the final before waking up in sets 3 and 4. I can see him being explosive enough offensively to really surprise Thiem (and everyone watching).

I could see Medvedev winning in 3 or 5, depending on how things go, but I think 4 is a safe bet because both players are on a roll and we know that Thiem fights and grinds. But I haven't been this excited to see a non-Big 3 match in quite some time. It could be a classic. Both players are in their peak form and are ready to fight to the last point. I wouldn't be surprised to see this match go well over 4 hours and possibly as high as 5.5 or 6 if both players bring their best tomorrow. But I have a sense that Medvedev is going to try to be more offensive early in a way no one including Thiem expects, and with that he may create a totally different dynamic to the match that helps him end it quicker. There is no doubt that both players will be intensely focused though, as this is one of the biggest matches of their lives, with huge ramifications.

Regardless of what happens, it will be very interesting. This match has ramifications that extend well beyond this tournament. It will determine the likely competitor with Federer for the third wheel on the ATP circuit going forward.

Reactions: Bonaca

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes and I know he can climb any mountain as well? though in a q/final match I prefer a opponent who has had a tougher match,in preparation for s/final match,which was the case with Medvedev.Theim's match was a practice session,I knew Alex did not have any weapons to upset him.

Medvedev, maybe in 5 sets. Margaret what time (as in australian zone) is this game going to be played?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I’m hoping Thiem takes this. He is one of my favorite players to watch. If he could get his serve more consistent, he would be even more dangerous than he currently is.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
FB_IMG_1599833942939.jpg

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rooting for Medvedev and I hope it will be an epic 5 set match.

Reactions: Bonaca