Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Thiem in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominic Thiem leads the H2H match up 7-2 over Zverev winning the last 3 meetings including their last encounter at a Slam in this year's Australian Open semifinal round (feels like a long time ago, isn't?). In addition, Thiem leads 3-0 in Slam meetings over Zverev (2-0 at RG, and 1-0 at AO).

This will be Zverev's first ever Slam final, so kudos to him for making his opportunities.

As for Thiem, this will be his 4th Slam final in his career at three different slams (2x at RG and 1 at AO). If he does lose this match, he will join Ivan Lendl and Andy Murray as the only male players in the Open Era to lose their first four slam final appearances. There is a lot of stakes for Thiem in this match.

Anyways, Dominic Thiem in four sets to win his first slam ever and first US Open title.

By the way, whomever wins this match will more than likely will skip the Italian Open so he can rest for Roland Garros.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Theim I’m hoping in 4.

I just think Theims heavy ball will wear down Zverev And mentally he’s got the edge.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Theim in 4.....though it would not surprise me if he did it in straight sets......Sasha cannot afford to get off to a slow start.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I voted before I read the thread, and I see everyone, (so far,) went with Thiem in 4. In retrospect, though, I'm going to change my vote. That's everyone giving Zverev the benefit of the doubt to grab one set. Based on what, though? Or maybe figuring Thiem will throw one away on nerves. If the de facto final was the SF that just finished, and it didn't even go 4? Thiem has found his game just at the right moment. Zverev inspires no confidence. In 3 or 4, the title has to be Dominic's...finally.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I voted before I read the thread, and I see everyone, (so far,) went with Thiem in 4. In retrospect, though, I'm going to change my vote. That's everyone giving Zverev the benefit of the doubt to grab one set. Based on what, though? Or maybe figuring Thiem will throw one away on nerves. If the de facto final was the SF that just finished, and it didn't even go 4? Thiem has found his game just at the right moment. Zverev inspires no confidence. In 3 or 4, the title has to be Dominic's...finally.

I think it is more of a just in case set for Zverev than anything. To be fair, Zverev did win the 1st set against Thiem in this year at AO semifinal round. In addition, there were two tiebreakers in that match as well. But all in all, Thiem in four sets.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
What a fucking mess this tournament is.
What a final :facepalm: , I don’t believe I have to root now for the fake German Giraffe.
But more likely pink Missy will win, she will lift the trophy.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What a fucking mess this tournament is.
What a final :facepalm: , I don’t believe I have to root now for the fake German Giraffe.
But more likely pink Missy will win, she will lift the trophy.
A mess for you because you dislike both finalists. The #2 seed is playing the #5 seed for the title. And both have been #3 in the world, which is as high as anyone gets, other than the Big 4, since 2002. By any reasonable accounting, there is nothing "messy" about that.

Last edited:

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
A mess for you. The #2 seed is playing the #5 seed for the title. And both have been #3 in the world, which is as high as anyone gets, other than the Big 4, since 2002. By any reasonable accounting, there is nothing bizarre about it.
You also mentioned it before.
This is what we get without Novak, Roger and Bob. ATP 500 flair in a Slam. Bravo.
I hope this tournament is at least a financial Desaster for the tournament direction.
What a fucking mess it is.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You also mentioned it before.
This is what we get without Novak, Roger and Bob. ATP 500 flair in a Slam. Bravo.
I hope this tournament is at least a financial Desaster for the tournament direction.
What a fucking mess it is.
What about the above did I say before? I actually had to look up their seedings. And now you're saying it's like an ATP 500? Sorry, but that's a boring trope you stole off of disgruntled Federer fans when Nadal won the USO in 2017. Except that they likened it a 250. And now you hope that the tournament is a financial disaster. I held off saying this before, out of respect for your pain and suffering as a fan of Novak, but, as one who often accuses others of it, you do sound...bitter.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
What about the above did I say before? I actually had to look up their seedings. And now you're saying it's like an ATP 500? Sorry, but that's a boring trope you stole off of disgruntled Federer fans when Nadal won the USO in 2017. Except that they likened it a 250. And now you hope that the tournament is a financial disaster. I held off saying this before, out of respect for your pain and suffering as a fan of Novak, but, as one who often accuses others of it, you do sound...bitter.
You wrote, I think it was at a QF match, that’s what we got without the three. And you meant it like I do looking at the quality of play. Don’t turn around or put it under a carpet.
Also read carefully what I wrote, I do not say 500 draw, I wrote flair of a 500 event.
of course I’m disappointed about Novak’s match, like you and the others are happy, also understandable.
The fact you Bob-fans are way in majority at this forum, doesn’t mean you are right.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
If Thiem plays anywhere near his best I can't see how this isn't a straight setter. He's due a slam. I'm actually more interested in seeing what he becomes when he gets over the hump. He just may become the wall that the Big 3 have to navigate going forward. It would be about bloody time! I can't get enough of that backhand of his, and his game has evolved with much more all court variation. He would be a worthy number 1. But let me not jinx the fella!

As an aside, I think that Zverev has finally shown me that he can be a multi-slam winner. But on Sunday I'm hoping to see the beginning of the age of Thiem...he might just become so tough to beat that only Wimbledon will be left as a playground for the Big 3 (obviously Rafa will always be a dominant factor at RG)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I love it. The best (and last) of the Lost Gen, and the first Next Genner to break through into the top 5. Epic.

I think Thiem will win this handily - if his ankle is ok. If not, who knows. But it is Thiem's time. Thiem in 3, with one or two tight sets. Again, based on his ankle being OK.

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You wrote, I think it was at a QF match, that’s what we got without the three. And you meant it like I do looking at the quality of play. Don’t turn around or put it under a carpet.
Also read carefully what I wrote, I do not say 500 draw, I wrote flair of a 500 event.
of course I’m disappointed about Novak’s match, like you and the others are happy, also understandable.
The fact you Bob-fans are way in majority at this forum, doesn’t mean you are right.
You misunderstood me. I was hoping that the men would step up. The fact that some failed to doesn't degrade the value of the tournament, and that's not sweeping it under the carpet. You seem to forget how you were perfectly happy to agree with me when I said that the fact that Rafa and Roger weren't in didn't degrade the quality of the field, when some tried to say that the Major would be less valuable when Djokovic was the presumptive winner. It didn't change just because Djokovic fell out. But that has nothing to do with whether they play especially well or not. That's just on them.

Reactions: Jelenafan

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
You misunderstood me. I was hoping that the men would step up. The fact that some failed to doesn't degrade the value of the tournament, and that's not sweeping it under the carpet. You seem to forget how you were perfectly happy to agree with me when I said that the fact that Rafa and Roger weren't in didn't degrade the quality of the field, when some tried to say that the Major would be less valuable when Djokovic was the presumptive winner. It didn't change just because Djokovic fell out. But that has nothing to do with whether they play especially well or not. That's just on them.
You got me wrong, value of slam is always same, 7 matches best of three and so on.
Quality of the field is surely not the same without Roger or Nadal, how could it. So isn’t without Novak . They are the best of the best, without even one of them the Field quality is lower.
the Austrian missy pointed it out in an interview, it isn’t the same without them. That is my point too.
Not the trophy, not the money or the points but knowing you reach your goal only because of not having to play them.

Last edited:

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
that a event is thiem winning his first major in 4 sets than going on to beat djokovic at RG, before losing the final to his master nadal.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Forgive me for quoting myself, but, after the Osaka match, I'm going to stick with Thiem in 4. I'm giving one to Zverev based on nerves and the moment for Dominic. If Rafa was so tight last year v. Medvedev, Thiem is really going to know that this is one he doesn't want to slip away. He's lost 3 Major finals, but to great champions. He will know this is a big opportunity. He hasn't really served his best, this tournament, so I give one set to Sasha, maybe in a TB.