Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Thiem in 5

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
First FO final for the Austrian and he gets to play the king of clay.

h2h is 6-3 with Thiem getting all his three wins on clay.

Who've you got?

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm going with Nadal in four.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll go Nadal in 4, too, because of the forecast. I was a little concerned about where Rafa's level was, until 4-4 in the first v. del Potro. Carillo once said that Rafa has an instinct for peaking for the last weekend of RG, and I'm thinking she's right.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'll go Nadal in 4, too, because of the forecast. I was a little concerned about where Rafa's level was, until 4-4 in the first v. del Potro. Carillo once said that Rafa has an instinct for peaking for the last weekend of RG, and I'm thinking she's right.

Not sure it's an instinct, it's more a question of everything coming together IMO. It's the end of the clay season so he has had a nice long run of practice, building the confidence. On top of that, the weather is generally the most suitable to him the closer we get to mid-summer. Then of course, the Chartier court suits him well too.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not sure it's an instinct, it's more a question of everything coming together IMO. It's the end of the clay season so he has had a nice long run of practice, building the confidence. On top of that, the weather is generally the most suitable to him the closer we get to mid-summer. Then of course, the Chartier court suits him well too.
There was a bit of poetic license in that. I'm just saying I was reminded of that (I think it was in 2014 she said it) when he shook himself awake late in the first today and said, time to play like a beast. And he did.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So is the fact that Thiem has three (!) clay wins over Nadal, including a straight set victory in Rome count for anything here?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So is the fact that Thiem has three (!) clay wins over Nadal, including a straight set victory in Rome count for anything here?
That's where he gets the one set. It's his first Major final, he's playing Nadal b/o 5 on Phillipe Chartrier. Really hard to see him winning. (See BB's hilarious clip above.)

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
It's as simple as it has always been (ironic). Thiem will have to be aggressive. He has to keep rallies short.

Today's match was very disappointing in terms of how much it was contested. I didn't see this coming. I hope I won't feel the same way after the final. I would love to see a good match.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That's where he gets the one set. It's his first Major final, he's playing Nadal b/o 5 on Phillipe Chartrier. Really hard to see him winning. (See BB's hilarious clip above.)
The clip made my day!

Reactions: Moxie

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal in 4. However, I have a feeling that Nadal could pulverize the Austrian, like he did last year at the same tournament.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, first of all I am happy that we got a good final. Gven the current cotingent of players, we cannot get any better final.

Before the event started, I picked Rafa to win. But, I checked my crystal ball today again and it says a different story.

Thiem in 4 (thanks to rainy conditions).

Thiem will win the first set (by a lone break at the end), Rafa will win the second set (in a TB), Thiem will win a third set that is close (they trade breaks early and the finally thiem gets ahead) and in the fourth set Thiem crushes Rafa.

Last edited:

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Well, first of all I am happy that we got a good final. Gven the current cotingent of players, we cannot get any better final.

Before the event started, I picked Rafa to win. But, I checked my crystal ball today again and it says a different story.

Thiem in 4 (thanks to rainy conditions).
So both you & Mrzz have crystal balls. Does nobody here just have premonitions? Lol.

Reactions: Moxie