2017 Wimbledon Championships - Men

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1st set for Sir Andy, happy to see him play well, for me he's the huge favourite to win the tourney even if it's not finished yet

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh they had a fear of Nadal winning, not a fear of him beating Roger. As I said Roger has a devil of a draw
I don't think you read back very carefully, but it's fine if you still prefer to think that. I think it was both things, though the more explicitly stated was Rafa across the net from Roger.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think you read back very carefully, but it's fine if you still prefer to think that. I think it was both things, though the more explicitly stated was Rafa across the net from Roger.

Possibly. It's just that most of my conversations with the usual suspects is more about protecting Roger's lead in the slam race. Personally I exert more energy willing him to win more than, hoping Rafa et al lose. Different strokes. At the end of the day, the joy I feel when Federer wins is a whole lot more lasting than anything I feel about Rafa et al winning. Also, I was actually hoping that Roger could stamp on Rafa's neck here. I won't go as far as to say I'm disappointed Rafa is out, but clearly I would have had greater pleasure enjoying 19 at SW19 if it had been against Rafa. In any case that's far from certain so I'm super stressed worrying about the brutal draw he still has to negotiate. Heck it could be all over by this evening :(

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sir Andy broke Sam in second set, I guess he'll win in 3

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm curious. Whom are the Fed fans hoping will win? Muller, Quarry, and Berdych?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
hey, @brokenshoelace , are you alive still?

I actually had to stop watching the match at 7-7 in the decider because I had a football (soccer) match. I'm glad I did.

But anyway, this wasn't too surprising. I thought Nadal's level had been overstated a bit. I'll discuss this further after Roger's match.

Meanwhile, I hope some of these results, including Querry's win prove to @DarthFed that maybe this isn't quite medium hards after all.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I actually had to stop watching the match at 7-7 in the decider because I had a football (soccer) match. I'm glad I did.

But anyway, this wasn't too surprising. I thought Nadal's level had been overstated a bit. I'll discuss this further after Roger's match.

Meanwhile, I hope some of these results, including Querry's win prove to @DarthFed that maybe this isn't quite medium hards after all.

That was a really tense match, and it only got worst.

I agree that Nadal's level was high, but not insanely high. Anyway, he got to into that winning machine mode, which for me is his greatest asset, maybe the greatest asset in tennis -- and given that it was easy to confuse one thing with another.

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
For the stats guys out there, who's the oldest male tennis player to have won Wimbledon (or any GS?)?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
After the semifinals are set, here are the latest odds.

1. Federer 4/11
2. Cilic 17/4
3. Berdych 14
4. Querry 22

Works out to 73% chances for Fed, the first time his chances are greater than the rest of the field combined.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quarter Final Highlights and Interviews

Results from the Wimbledon Men's Singles Quarterfinal matches on Wednesday

3-Roger Federer (Switzerland) beat 6-Milos Raonic (Canada) 6-4 6-2 7-6(4)
11-Tomas Berdych (Czech Republic) beat 2-Novak Djokovic (Serbia) 7-6(2) 2-0 (Djokovic retired)
7-Marin Cilic (Croatia) beat 16-Gilles Muller (Luxembourg) 3-6 7-6(6) 7-5 5-7 6-1
24-Sam Querrey (U.S.) beat 1-Andy Murray (Britain) 3-6 6-4 6-7(4) 6-1 6-1

3-Roger Federer (Switzerland) beat 6-Milos Raonic (Canada) 6-4 6-2 7-6(4)

11-Tomas Berdych (Czech Republic) beat 2-Novak Djokovic (Serbia) 7-6(2) 2-0 (Djokovic retired)

7-Marin Cilic (Croatia) beat 16-Gilles Muller (Luxembourg) 3-6 7-6(6) 7-5 5-7 6-1

24-Sam Querrey (U.S.) beat 1-Andy Murray (Britain) 3-6 6-4 6-7(4) 6-1 6-1

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was a really tense match, and it only got worst.

I agree that Nadal's level was high, but not insanely high. Anyway, he got to into that winning machine mode, which for me is his greatest asset, maybe the greatest asset in tennis -- and given that it was easy to confuse one thing with another.
That's a fair point about his attitude, which I did believe was his best chance to get over the hump of the 4th round, and possibly the QF (just distantly.) But you could see it in his face how stressed he was late in the 5th. He was the one with the pressure, of serving second, and being the ex-champion with a lot of ego on the line. Muller was not going away, and too many chances went begging. Still a better Wimbledon than he's had in a while.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You're calling me mean? I'm not the one who wishes certain players would lose at every turn. Besides, do you even know what Acne10 is?

Relax, Kelli. I was just pointing out that he doesn't actually have acne. But I don't know what Acne10 is. I was assuming it was for acne, but if it is for scars then my bad.

As for wishing players would lose, I'm not sure why you're calling me out on that when there are far worse offenders and I don't know a single fan who doesn't want the main opponents of their favorite to lose.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
For the stats guys out there, who's the oldest male tennis player to have won Wimbledon (or any GS?)?

I guess that would be me. The oldest male player in the Open Era is Ken Rosewall, who was 37 when he won the 1972 Australian Open. The oldest to win Wimbledon was Arthur Ashe at age 31 (although almost 32) in 1975. Ashe, Laver, and Federer are the only 30+ year olds to win Wimbledon in the Open Era.