2017 Wimbledon Final: Venus Williams vs. Garbine Muguruza

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
All the best for MUGU and not just because she is Basque (his father and me too) but because her great potential which has not showed since RG 2016, it's about time! :clap:

Reactions: WTA-rocks

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I was impressed by Garbine's performance in 2015 Wimbledon final. Even though she lost, she fought like a big girl and did cot cry.
She has only had more experience since then. So, I think this will be a good match.

Having said that Venus is best on this surface and would not want to let go off this opportunity. When Vee is determined, everyone
else have to just move away. That includes Garbine.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Venus leads the series 3-1. With Mugu's lone win coming in the QF of Rome this year. All 3 of Venus' wins came on hard courts. This is their first meeting on grass.
upload_2017-7-13_12-24-44.png

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sure, Garbine did not let her opponent into the match. But, we got to realize that her opponent is ranked #87 who has already overachieved in this tourney and has a Agaeseque finesse based game. So, don't read too much into that domineering SF win.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I accidently deleted my original post.Dont take my post out of context I said Garbine would have to produce the same type of tennis she displayed in her s/final if she is to defeat Venus.
I picked Venus to win her 6th Wimbledon title at the start of the tournament,I also have been impressed with the mental strength she has shown due to the civil case brought against her,it has not affected her tennis.Venus to win in 3 sets.Yes I have been impressed with Garbine in this tournament she has produced consistent tennis which has been lacking in her tennis since she won RG.Hopefully both players will bring their best tennis to the final.Good luck to both players.

Last edited:
Reactions: WTA-rocks and Moxie

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Garbine opponent reached the semis it was because she played better than the others , it doesn't matter the ranking, so she deserved it and watching today the Garbine performance she would have beaten anyone so I hope she will keep that level tomorrow and watching her lifting the Trophy

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If Garbine opponent reached the semis it was because she played better than the others , it doesn't matter the ranking, so she deserved it and watching today the Garbine performance she would have beaten anyone so I hope she will keep that level tomorrow and watching her lifting the Trophy

Indeed Garbine has deserved her final spot.Her performance in the s/final was impressive good to see her displaying the type of tennis she is capable of.Good luck Garbine in the final.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Nobody is saying (In particular I am not saying) that Garbine does not deserve to be in finals. But, the notion that if she plays on Saturday like she did today, then she will win is not quite accurate. Garbine was able to play the way she played because of her opponent. She will not be able to play that way when she is facing Vee. Tennis is always about match-ups and you cannot take her play of today and somehow implant it for her final match.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Venus is going to play Muguruza like she played pova in 2005....gsmStarr

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nobody is saying (In particular I am not saying) that Garbine does not deserve to be in finals. But, the notion that if she plays on Saturday like she did today, then she will win is not quite accurate. Garbine was able to play the way she played because of her opponent. She will not be able to play that way when she is facing Vee. Tennis is always about match-ups and you cannot take her play of today and somehow implant it for her final match.

In my last post I was talking about Garbiñe's opponent Ryvarikova saying that if she reached the semis it was because she played better than others, it doesn't matter the ranking. And of course Garbine deserved to play the finals because she has played match by match brilliant in all the ways and not just today so I wouldn't be surprised if she wins the final

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I accidently deleted my original post.Dont take my post out of context I said Garbine would have to produce the same type of tennis she displayed in her s/final if she is to defeat Venus.
I picked Venus to win her 6th Wimbledon title at the start of the tournament,I also have been impressed with the mental strength she has shown due to the civil case brought against her,it has not affected her tennis.Venus to win in 3 sets.Yes I have been impressed with Garbine in this tournament she has produced consistent tennis which has been lacking in her tennis since she won RG.Hopefully both players will bring their best tennis to the final.Good luck to both players.
For me, a dream, as I really like both players. I hope they play a great final. I have to pull for Vee, as this could well be her last chance to win a Major. Another Wimbledon would be fitting.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Venus better take the net away from garbage...she should crowd Mugu into errors..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is their first meeting on grass
For me, a dream, as I really like both players. I hope they play a great final. I have to pull for Vee, as this could well be her last chance to win a Major. Another Wimbledon would be fitting.

I think most people are hoping that Venus aged 37 years young can win her sixth Wimbledon,she is the sentimental favorite and has been a credit to women's tennis all of her playing career thus far.Venus is just a pleasure to watch especially on her favorite surface grass.I read today in her recent interview how much she misses her sister Serena who of course is not playing Wimbledon this year due to having a baby.....Venus Ebony Star Williams such a 'class act'.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I think most people are hoping that Venus aged 37 years young can win her sixth Wimbledon,she is the sentimental favorite and has been a credit to women's tennis all of her playing career thus far.Venus is just a pleasure to watch especially on her favorite surface grass.I read today in her recent interview how much she misses her sister Serena who of course is not playing Wimbledon this year due to having a baby.....Venus Ebony Star Williams such a 'class act'.

I would have "liked" this post twice, if I could have. It was mentioned recently that one of the few people who knew that Serena was pregnant during the AO final this year was her opponent. I don't believe for a minute that it changed the outcome, but it's such a unique circumstance in tennis and sport, that I thought I'd mention it. Venus and her baby sister have been amazing and singular in so many ways.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Definitely in doubles and So far may be in singles also. But in the final, she probably would not miss seeing Serena across the net.

WTA-rocks

Club Member
Reactions
Williams looked unstoppable in yesterday's semi-final.

Tonight before bed I shall recite a prayer for Garbine.

Reactions: Carol

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Williams looked unstoppable in yesterday's semi-final.

Tonight before bed I shall recite a prayer for Garbine.
If Mugu has confidence in herself she will win :)