• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
federberg said:
1972Murat said:
Federberg, Murray himself did not look convincing either, starting from the first match...

Yes agreed. Worrying... When does he get back to his level? Or was the quest for a slam making him outperform? He should set himself the target of getting to No 1 now

No. 1?! He should set the target of winning a tournament.

:clap My point is that he should set himself a target. Whether it's achievable is debatable. But the goal will spur him on. I almost feel like now that he's won a slam, and also Wimbledon he's become unmoored. He's playing tennis because it's his job, but he doesn't have that painful hunger that used to drive him

Put it this way.. I bet before he won a slam he would wake up in the middle of the night fretting. Doubt he does that now. He needs something to grab on to

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Over the moon Nishikori beat Djokovic today nehmeth,maybe your be more humble on other tennis players.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Yeah but no one remembers you for winning a 250 although admittedly winning at least one of those is a confidence boost.

At this point, Murray needs any win he could possibly get. Besides, you have to start winning somewhere even if it is a small tournament.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
rafanoy1992 said:
TennisFanatic7 said:
rafanoy1992 said:
Riotbeard said:
federberg said:
Yes agreed. Worrying... When does he get back to his level? Or was the quest for a slam making him outperform? He should set himself the target of getting to No 1 now

Riot, he should set a target of reaching the final of any tournament ;)

In all seriousness, Murray needs to change his priorities this upcoming off-season. Instead of just focusing on the Slams, he needs to start to focus on doing well on the smaller tournaments. If he starts winning on the smaller tournaments, then he could start focusing on the Slams. Because right now he lacks focus and fitness (a minor one).

I agree. Since Lendl came in the Masters events have been approached as tune-ups, particularly those before the majors - Madrid, Rome, Cincy, Canada. He didn't even play Monte Carlo this year. He may have been able to do that in the past when he was ranked in the top 2-3 places and was reaching slam finals but now he needs to build himself back up. I think he has a good chance of a good run in Shanghai, perhaps things can start there.

Also, because he has won two majors, he could just focus on playing well on smaller tournaments without having the huge pressure on whether or not he would win a Slam at all.

You would think, but after you've won a couple majors, I think the pressure is on to add to the total! Even 2 can be considered a fluke! There are plenty of players with his resume and I think expectations have been terribly overblown and exaggerated! In a lot of ways Murray's underachieved IMO because of the way he plays the game!

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Front242 said:
Yeah but no one remembers you for winning a 250 although admittedly winning at least one of those is a confidence boost.

It's not about being remembered at this point though, it's about getting the points on the board to reach the year end championships and start building his ranking and confidence back up so he can compete at the slams again.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Boris discussing Novak.

[video=youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xQrOzsl7XIY[/video]

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nishikori was outstanding and I had the pleasure of watching the match with a Japanese friend of mine who loves tennis and hits a good ball. We plied him full of beer and Canadian whiskey as we watched Kei come through this. It was great. I'm happy for nishikori for he has earned his place this fortnight.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
Riotbeard said:
federberg said:
1972Murat said:
Federberg, Murray himself did not look convincing either, starting from the first match...

:clap My point is that he should set himself a target. Whether it's achievable is debatable. But the goal will spur him on. I almost feel like now that he's won a slam, and also Wimbledon he's become unmoored. He's playing tennis because it's his job, but he doesn't have that painful hunger that used to drive him

Put it this way.. I bet before he won a slam he would wake up in the middle of the night fretting. Doubt he does that now. He needs something to grab on to

I hear ya, but I think he should focus on the day to day and build himself up.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Congrats to Kei on an awesome performance! Happy for him and his fans, hope he can go all the way.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJN4L8Pzzk4[/video]

Srini

Futures Player
Reactions
So very happy Kei won. He must be feeling so proud, very well deserved. He will be no 5 already and I strongly feel he will be the champion this time.

It's a new era in tennis definitely, we don't have none of the Big 4 in a slam final in don't know how many years!!