2014 U.S. Open Men's Semifinal: Djokovic v. Nishikori

Pick your poison

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Third meeting between these two and they have each won a match. Who takes this one?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Nole in 3 or 4 I think. I just can't see how Kei can compete after 2 back to back 5 setters. If it was Nole who'd had to navigate through that then it wouldn't matter, but Kei seems to be of a more fragile composition. Still.. if he's able to bring his best, then it's not going to be easy for Novak

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
Nole in 3 or 4 I think. I just can't see how Kei can compete after 2 back to back 5 setters. If it was Nole who'd had to navigate through that then it wouldn't matter, but Kei seems to be of a more fragile composition. Still.. if he's able to bring his best, then it's not going to be easy for Novak

I said the same about his chances against Stan and he certainly proved me wrong. I voted Novak in three, but the little Samurai might have something to say about that.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
federberg said:

I said the same about his chances against Stan and he certainly proved me wrong. I voted Novak in three, but the little Samurai might have something to say about that.

Yup. I did the same. I hope I'm wrong and it's competitive. But I'm actually tempted to put some money on a Kei retirement in this one!

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
There are some things that Kei does that can make Nole uncomfortable. He takes the ball early and takes time away from you. He is also not too shy to come to the net to finish the point as he showed against Stan. He won 2 five setters in a row against two top 10 players, so confidence cannot be an issue. The usual question with Kei is how is he feeling physically?

I think if the Samurai shows up to play, he should at least get a set but Nole is Nole. I say Nole in 4 or 5.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
voted Djoker in four - maybe he want some more action in legs before finals with FedEx.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Mile said:
voted Djoker in four - maybe he want some more action in legs before finals with FedEx.

FedEx not a given to make it to the final. :nono

Nole had more than enough workout with his legs against Murray last night. I think the plan will be to make the little samurai run. It will be interesting to see who will seize control of the middle court and dictate.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm certainly not looking past this next match. Gael, Berdych and Cilic are all capable of beating Roger. All I will say is that if he DOESN'T make it through I'll be devastated. That said, I almost prefer to see a Nole v Roger final now, than a Nishi v Roger one. If Kei can get through Novak, I don't want anything to do with him!

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
I'm certainly not looking past this next match. Gael, Berdych and Cilic are all capable of beating Roger. All I will say is that if he DOESN'T make it through I'll be devastated. That said, I almost prefer to see a Nole v Roger final now, than a Nishi v Roger one. If Kei can get through Novak, I don't want anything to do with him!

True. Best case scenario for Roger at this juncture is for Cilic to upset the Berd and then win out quickly against Monfils without letting him into the match.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^That's the way I'm looking at it. While Cilic has improved, he's a little too vanilla. Doesn't hit it hard enough, doesn't move quite well enough to stop Roger (if.. and ALWAYS an if... Roger is playing well)

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Nole in three or 4. Even if fitness isn't an issue for Kei (Given the last two matches, I am going to assume he will be fine physically), Novak will simply outplay him from the baseline IMO. Kei's game is the most similar to Novak's of the "youngish" guys, but it ain't quite at his level. Novak does everything a little better.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
^That's the way I'm looking at it. While Cilic has improved, he's a little too vanilla. Doesn't hit it hard enough, doesn't move quite well enough to stop Roger (if.. and ALWAYS an if... Roger is playing well)

As long as Roger doesn't go 5 tonight I think he will step up and beat Berdych on Saturday. Honestly if he loses to Monfils at this stage with this opportunity then that's a signal that he truly is done everywhere except maybe Wimbledon where he showed small signs of life this year. Good players DO NOT lose to Monfils at slams.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I voted for Novak in 3 sets.I think this where the Japanese Warrior's wonderful run ends.
I am also glad Novak played Murray last night,it sharpen's him up going into the s/final and final.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Kei can come back after finishing at 2.26 a.m. on Tuesday and play at 3:00 on Wednesday,
I don't see why he should be questionable to play at 12:00 noon on Saturday after finishing
at around 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday.

Kei has beaten Roger at Miami, Rafa at Madrid (ok, not quite), Milos and Stan here
and I say why not Novak too?

Further, Novak seemed to be in deadly form based on the first four matches. However,
after seeing the QF match against Murray, I am not so convinced that he is there to win
it all here. He still seems to have mental lapses during the matches. He won the QF
mostly because he was able to wear out Murray physically. If Murray had the stamina
to fight till the end, who knows what would have happened in that match itself?

Finally, this is not a wishful thinking vote as I feel Kei will also be very dangerous for
Roger in the final game wise, assuming he gets there. Only advantage Roger would
have is that this all would be new experience for Roger and hopefully the occassion
will be too much for Kei.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
With the extra day off Kei should be alright physically unless the blisters come into play. Regardless if he is 100% ready to go or not it should be Djokovic in 4 at most. All things considered Djokovic looked good enough vs. Murray, the matches between those 2 will always have a lot of ups and downs for both players it seems

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Yup agreed. A match vs Murray is not a guide to how Djokovic will perform in the semi. As a member of the troika (Fed, Rafa, Nole), it's semifinal time, and these guys at their peak should beat the field. I'm more confident of Novak doing what he has to get the W than I am about Roger

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hello peeps, sorry for being absent a while.

Happy two of my favorites made it so far! Fantastic run by Kei and what a joy to watch him play tennis.

Rooting for Novak. History on the line here.

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Kei getting more than one set would really surprise me, as I don't see his serve or any other part of his game causing Novak too many problems. I can imagine a scenario where Novak is in control most of the time, but a lapse from him and/or great play from Kei costs him a set, similar to the match against Gulbis at the French Open.

But during Kei's other good runs in Miami and Madrid his efforts caught up on him at some point, so I'm not sure how he will handle it physically this time and a routine three-set-win or even a retirement seem possible to me as well.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
-FG- said:
Kei getting more than one set would really surprise me, as I don't see his serve or any other part of his game causing Novak too many problems. I can imagine a scenario where Novak is in control most of the time, but a lapse from him and/or great play from Kei costs him a set, similar to the match against Gulbis at the French Open.

But during Kei's other good runs in Miami and Madrid his efforts caught up on him at some point, so I'm not sure how he will handle it physically this time and a routine three-set-win or even a retirement seem possible to me as well.

FG, I agree with you for the most part but there is a part of Kei's game that has caused guys like Roger and Rafa huge problems and it can hurt Nole too : Taking the ball really early on the baseline and taking time away from the opponent. It gave Rafa fits on the Madrid clay up until Kei got hurt. It totally got Roger out of his comfort zone in Miami and Madrid.

I am not saying it WILL hurt Nole consistently, but it is something Kei does well and Nole should be ready for it.