2014 U.S. Open Men's Semifinal: Djokovic v. Nishikori

Pick your poison

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak actually won three more points than Kei. The Nole fans claiming Novak did not show
up is completely ridiculous
. Novak was just outplayed and outsmarted by tenacious Kei.

In particular, in the third set, Novak brought on all kinds of heat and tried to make
Kei wittle. But Kei did not budge.

Congrat Kei, You showed what a Samurai is capable of. :clap:clap:clap

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Novak actually won three more points than Kei. The Nole fans claiming Novak did not show

In particular, in the third set, Novak brought on all kinds of heat and tried to make

That's not really an argument but fair enough, and enjoy the ad hoc. Of course Novak was outplayed, and I said even if Novak had played his best it was not a guarantee, but he never quite hit his stride, first serve percent was low, lots of errors in the last two sets without even taking risk.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What an amazing effort from Kei Nishikori especially after dropping serve while serving for the third set. In addition, his backhand especially down the line and return of serve were brilliant and spectacular.

As for Djokovic, he could not really find his rhythm except for the second set. The humid conditions certainly did not help. However, he still won one major this year so that is a huge accomplishment for him. Now, he could go back to Monte Carlo and enjoy his time with his wife and his newborn baby. If I were him, I probably would not play tennis maybe until the Shanghai Masters 1000 or he could get a mental rest.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
What on earth just happened? Anyone able to give me a brief summary of the match? Djokovic off colour or did Kei just step up to the plate? Haven't been able to get online since watching the QF.

Here's a point by point commentary http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/tennis/29010919

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Sounds like the mind of the samurai shows somewhat more fortitude than the body.

I think his body has just improved to match his mind. Guy has won 3 real fights in a row and seems to be doing fine. Even when he was tired looking, his level was the same.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
GameSetAndMath said:

That's not really an argument but fair enough, and enjoy the ad hoc. Of course Novak was outplayed, and I said even if Novak had played his best it was not a guarantee, but he never quite hit his stride, first serve percent was low, lots of errors in the last two sets without even taking risk.

Oops meant ad hominem

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I see from the top of this play by play commentary from BBC that Navratilova is getting married. http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/tennis/29010919

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kei Kei Kei

I am on the Kei Band Waggon now for him to win the USO.

What a Incredible tournament he is having!!!!!!!!!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
GameSetAndMath said:

It is a rare match where the winner has less points won than the loser. In fact there is
"........... Paradox" name attached to such matches. Saying, you are giving credit to Kei and
at the same time claiming Novak did not show up is basically not giving credit.

As for enjoying the "ad hoc", I am just talking about this match. I don't think it is a
fair assessment to say Novak did not show up. When Kei served for the third set, Novak
stopped him; that is not showing up in your books or is there any match in your book
where Novak showed up and yet lost.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Novak won only %37 of his second serves. Kei can punish returns, that's for sure.

Yeap! He hit some amazing return of serves and Djokovic could not even do anything about those return of serves.

Also, his backhand is amazing. In some of those backhand to backhand rallies, he made Djokovic foolish out there.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am very (3 times) disappointed by Novak's lack of solutions in today's match. Samurai played a courageous tennis indeed and he was not able to respond. He was not even capable to stretch Kei to 5 sets like Raonic or Wawrinka Argh:mad:

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Riotbeard said:
GameSetAndMath said:

It is a rare match where the winner has less points won than the loser. In fact there is
"........... Paradox" name attached to such matches. Saying, you are giving credit to Kei and
at the same time claiming Novak did not show up is basically not giving credit.

As for enjoying the "ad hoc", I am just talking about this match. I don't think it is a
fair assessment to say Novak did not show up. When Kei served for the third set, Novak
stopped him; that is not showing up in your books or is there any match in your book
where Novak showed up and yet lost.

Sure Novak has shown up and lost (Matches that immediately come to mind, AO 2014 QF, FO 2012, USO 2010). I also said Novak did not quite show up. "quite" meant to be a qualification that he was only slightly off his best. To be fair Novak did show up, but he was never quite in rhythm, Kei certainly contributed to that, but Novak also can play better against a shotmaker. I also said kei played great, and that I am not convinced Novak would have won even if he had played his best. You focused in on only half of what I said. I think it's fair to say a player is capable of and has played better, if that is what you think. It's not an excuse, you play how you play on the day. That's sports.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak played too passive for my liking,Kei was playing good solid offensive tennis
I still cant understand why Novak hasnt got more titles in NYC? it is a mystery to me.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
I see from the top of this play by play commentary from BBC that Navratilova is getting married. http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/tennis/29010919

not that it matters... but dude or gal?

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
Front242 said:

not that it matters... but dude or gal?

One assumes gal as she is a lesbian.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
Novak played too passive for my liking,Kei was playing good solid offensive tennis
I still cant understand why Novak hasnt got more titles in NYC? it is a mystery to me.

I think he's more effective on slow hards. It's exactly the same reason he hasn't won in Cincy