2014 NFL Draft/Free Agency

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Thought I'd start a thread about this. The draft will be held May 8-10.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Here's the latest activity in the FA market:
Bears waive:
Hester
Tillman
Peppers
McCown signs 2 year worth 10mil w/ Bucs

Pats sign Darrelle Revis

Broncos sign Demarcus Ware and waive Rogers-Cromartie

Lions sign Golden Tate

Jags sign LeKoda Watson

Jets sign Eric Decker

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Didn't Golden State say that he was gonna take a pay cut so he could stay with the Seahawks?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Yeah. I thought I remember something to that nature. Funny what they'll do for $$

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's been hectic already. I am hoping GB goes after Peppers or Allen if he becomes available. They are pretty old so they could get away with something like 2 years for 8 or maybe 10 million.

The Ware deal will cripple Denver but I don't blame them for the "win now at all costs" attitude. Packers didn't land any safeties in free agency and that's a big concern. Their GM never goes after free agents and it is biting them in the arse now as they will be stuck with that awful defense for the foreseeable future.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
And GB picks up Peppers!! 3 years 30 million but only 7.5 guaranteed. He counts 8.5 million next year and similar amount for 2015. There is no way he will be here in 2016 so this is effectively a 1 or 2 year deal, 2 years if he plays really well next year. Big move for GB as pass rush has been a big weakness for 3 years now and Peppers is still a good all around playmaker even if he is past his prime.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Yeah, I saw that. Great for them as Allen would have cost more.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Yeah, I saw that. Great for them as Allen would have cost more.

Yep and I think Peppers is more of an all around player (better against the run, more disruptive) while Allen is just a pure pass rusher.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For the first time in a long time, the Raiders have a budget to bring in some seasoned veterans. I wasn't pleased Veldheer was let go at left tackle, but they are making moves to improve the D-Line. Jason Tuck, LaMarr Woodley and DT Jason Hatcher should give the pash rush a boost.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
For the first time in a long time, the Raiders have a budget to bring in some seasoned veterans. I wasn't pleased Veldheer was let go at left tackle, but they are making moves to improve the D-Line. Jason Tuck, LaMarr Woodley and DT Jason Hatcher should give the pash rush a boost.

Very good moves on defense. What do you think of their decision to stick with McFadden and let Jennings go. I am pretty high on Jennings, he is a young 28 (not many carries in his career) and showed that he can be a big contributor even when the defense is gearing to stop him. McFadden definitely has the higher ceiling but a history of injuries. No way they could keep both but they went the riskier route IMO.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Very good moves on defense. What do you think of their decision to stick with McFadden and let Jennings go. I am pretty high on Jennings, he is a young 28 (not many carries in his career) and showed that he can be a big contributor even when the defense is gearing to stop him. McFadden definitely has the higher ceiling but a history of injuries. No way they could keep both but they went the riskier route IMO.

I'd have let McFadden go Darth. I think it will be more of the same with constant injuries + Oak need to shore up that offensive line big time.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-moving-extra-points-back-----in-the-preseason-144622396.html

Not a fan of this at all. The sentence that says it best is the one about how this places the fate of a game on the kickers' shoulders more and more.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Agree Darth. It's kind of stupid to change it after all these years. I think in a game tying situation, you will see team's opt for 2 versus a long kick unless they have seasoned reliable kicker like a Veniteiri or Gould.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Bears get Jared Allen in a pricy 4 year deal

Definitely not happy about that. It seems like the Bears have never ending money this offseason but it makes sense since they had tons of free agents. When all is said and done they only lost a couple key players and they completely replaced one of them with this signing.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Eagles release Desean Jackson. It'll be interesting to see where he goes because not many have the cap space to sign him, especially this late in the game when many teams have already made high price pickups in the last few weeks.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Pretty surprising move, I didn't read up on it yet but what's the reasoning?

Edit: Decided to look it up, he was released due to associations with gang members in LA and it seems there was some other off-field things that came to their attention. I doubt that will stop teams from pursuing him as he is just 27 years old, I was thinking he was older than that. As long as he doesn't turn out to be another Aaron Hernandez there will be plenty of teams that will take a punt on him.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Raiders snap up Maurice Drew-Jones. I'm liking the off season moves by the Silver and Black. Still need to beef up on the offensive line though. Letting Jared Veldheer go was a big mistake IMO.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Nice move by the Raiders, that is a good way to deal with the high likelihood that McFadden will always be injury prone. MJD is coming off a down year but being on Jacksonville didn't do him many favors.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Another nice move by the Raiders...

Khalil Mack with the fifth pick in the draft.

Big moves on defense from the Silver and Black this offseason.