2014 Fifa world cup: Round of 16

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: Fifa world cup: Round of 16

1972Murat said:
atttomole said:
More cruel than a penalty shootout I think.

No kidding...
The match confirms that this could be the most entertaining world cup we have ever seen.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I'm happy Holland went through. Nothing against Mexico but a Mexico vs. Costa Rica/Greece quarter final isn't exactly mouthwatering and the winner of that match would have been an obvious weak-link in the semis. Upsets are cool. Too many upsets are irritating.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

yes..Holland were struggling as bit in the 35c-40c and v humid conditions..

for some reason (heat/humid??) Holland got bogged down passing around in midfield and van persie / robben were heavily marked out of the game and/or they just couldn't move too much in silly weather. hope hollands QF is in slightly cooler weather. even the fans were moving out of the seats in the sun.

jan klaas huntelaar gets his first action of the world cup..and puts away the pen. klaas. the Holland amazing strikers list is endless, huntelaar missed 4 months of last season at least with injury at schalke 04. so it was good for him to get on finally.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Kiu said:
And here we are down to the last 16.

world-cup-tournament-bracket.jpg

I have an office pool going on this, we are finalizing the picks tomorrow right before the first match starts.

Who is your pick?

I'm feeling Germany v. Brazil for the top half, though Colombia could replace Brazil. I'd say Germany gets through, but what if it's the host county?

Netherlands should make the SFs in the bottom half. Could US make it that far? Or will it be Argentina? Sorry…those aren't exactly picks. With so many So. American teams still in, I'd like to see one in the final. My least favorite final would be Germany v. Netherlands. My favorite would be Brazil v. US.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

the Greece v costa rica match was so dull in the first half I stopped watching..had the radio on..then went back to the telly after the sending off and it gradually became an unbelievably exciting match. you just don't know what can happen with football.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

lionel messi is going to carry on scoring..i want him to win the golden boot, I think it is clear I am a messi fan..i tune in to watch him even on pirate streams in argentina friendlies if I can..

anyway. the ideal final is a match that cannot happen argentina vs Holland so hopefully that's a sf match.

argentina vs brazil final would be awesome, messi wasting brazil in front of the home brazil fans would be a laugh and a half.

markus1

Club Member
Reactions

1972Murat said:
Brazil- Chile heading towards penalty shots. 5 minutes to go in the overtime.

Chile were so close to knockout Brazil .. whew :)

markus1

Club Member
Reactions

JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
lionel messi is going to carry on scoring..i want him to win the golden boot, I think it is clear I am a messi fan..i tune in to watch him even on pirate streams in argentina friendlies if I can..

anyway. the ideal final is a match that cannot happen argentina vs Holland so hopefully that's a sf match.

argentina vs brazil final would be awesome, messi wasting brazil in front of the home brazil fans would be a laugh and a half.

I'm fan of Messi too and he absolutely deserves the Golden Boot. But Argentina's squad is not that good and I doubt that they are winning the World Cup.
My ideal final would be Argentina v Germany :)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Messi should wreak havoc today (I hope), but Germany is going to be tough for anybody. Chile really should be still in this over Brazil, but it is a game of inches like in tennis, no?

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com

Germany look like they're going to knock Algeria off after looking pretty poor tonight. France won't be too scared of them if they play like this again.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions

TennisFanatic7 said:
Germany look like they're going to knock Algeria off after looking pretty poor tonight. France won't be too scared of them if they play like this again.

to be fair to them , germany had about 16 shots on target . They just didnt go in until the end. This happens in Football a lot

markus1

Club Member
Reactions

shawnbm said:
but it is a game of inches like in tennis, no?

i guess it is
Argentina have only Messi and that's not enough, while Germans have a very strong squad. I like both teams but Germany obviously have an advantage.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions

We are almost done with the round of 16
Last two matches are coming up.

BTW, I took Argentina.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions

Di Maria had a horrible game but a good 15 minutes at the end and he gets the player of the match. He is the key player for Argentina though,their game improved as his did

Belgium doing well now , I think they should go through

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions

I picked USA to beat Belgium.
I am 5 for 7 in the round of 16 matches. Neither of my upset picks materialized.