2014 FIFA World Cup Final & 3rd place

Pick winner and 3rd place

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kiu said:
Another embarrassing performance from Brazil, they weren't even close to the Dutch's league.
Lost 3-0

I am sure most in Brazil would like to forget this World Cup!

They'd probably like to forget that they paid for expensive stadiums in towns that don't have major teams and will now be considered White Elephants. (Manaus and Brasilia are two, though I know there are two others.)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently, Brazil is up for elections this Oct. Guess what will happen to the incumbents?

The repercussions appear to be far beyond just the coach and players.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiu said:
I am sure most in Brazil would like to forget this World Cup!

Much as they'd probably like to forget it, I think Brazil should remember this World Cup, and engrave it in plaques on the side of every football pitch, and watch videos of it and absorb it and cry it from the rooftops, and never forget it: This is what Brazil have become!

Get back to playing football and use this as a motivation and a humbling tool, so that they never again dabble in artless athleticism and foul sentimentality. I'm sure there are already major rumblings in Brazil right now, about how many of their players are so second rate, and clueless, and how they sold out their footballing principles decades ago, and what they need to do to improve...

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Referees are also pretty bad, they should have fouled Brazil. Because they did not foul them , it encouraged them to play more roughly and that was exposed by Germany. Even yesterday,Thiago Silva should have been red carded in the third minute of the match and 3 clear penalties were not given in favour of the Dutch(though there was 1 penalty for Brazil also which wasnt given)

I actually feared for Robben yesterday, the fouls on him were really dangerous but the referee never enen once fouled the Brazilian Gustavo

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Robben makes the most of the slightest breeze. I saw how Brazil tried to rough him up a couple of times, but a guy like him deserves this. He flails and flops and flings his arms about and pulls a mush and the music starts playing and referees are boggled.

The lad's a filthy cheat. Great player, but terrible. Because of him, I'm glad the Netherlands lost. And did you notice how van Persie was MIA since the match with Spain, more or less. He might as well have been on the bench. And people say he's a great footballer... :nono

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I'm rooting for the Argies, but i think it'll take Messi performing at Maradona proportions for it to happen. If he does that, he's comparable to the very best...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Germany...well deserved
Argentina pushed them all the way.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Gotze does it in overtime! Germany wins...first European to win this in South American soil.

Like Lieneker once said " Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."

It was 120 minutes this time but nevertheless...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What a goal by the young German star! Will be shown for many Cups to come. It seemed to me the better side won, particularly when you consider the scoring and defense during the elimination rounds, underscored by the total destruction of Brazil. What can you say? Germany was stellar!

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
The right team won in the end. They were better today as well as in the whole tournament

Mario Gotze will be forever remembered in German history. Thomas Muller finally has a world cup medal to his name as well. Best goal scorer for Germany this world cup with 5

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Great match, wasn't it? Argentina will be kicking themselves but a great goal won it. I think overall, Germany were deserving of the win...

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Great match, wasn't it? Argentina will be kicking themselves but a great goal won it. I think overall, Germany were deserving of the win...

Fantastic match and much more cleaner as well as better than the last 2 finals. A great goal really clinched the deal for Germany

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Gutted for Messi and only Messi. :(

Does anybody know why Tevez wasn't picked for the squad?

BTW do the cameras really need to show us children crying in the stands? I don't want to see some heartbroken child.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, at least Brazil got a consolation prize in the final (instead of in the consolation match). :nono

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iona16 said:

I am, too, and he was the main reason I wanted Argentina to win. He's a little undervalued in his home country. But I will say, perhaps controversially, he didn't step up. He did seem nervous, and it seemed apparent that the pressure weighed on him the whole match. Both sides were kind of tentative through a lot of it. But I wished that Messi had been able to break through and prove his mettle for Argentina. Anyway, young Goetze's goal WAS gorgeous. And ended the match almost exactly the way/when Iniesta's did 4 years ago…late in the 2nd OT, just when a penalty shoot out seemed all but inevitable.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Messi could have gone in glory, if he could convert the last free kick and then if Arg won
on PK. That is a lot of ifs, I suppose. He sure did not step up and so I am not gutted for
him even though I like him.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Messi could have gone in glory, if he could convert the last free kick and then if Arg won
on PK. That is a lot of ifs, I suppose. He sure did not step up and so I am not gutted for
him even though I like him.

Yes, agreed. Messi had chances. And Argentina did, playing the better in the first half. Actually, both sides blew sitters, and whoever said it above, it could have been 1-1, instead of 0-0 going into extra time. Exciting match, anyway. And the young German booked his place in history. It was a pretty goal.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Iona16 said:

I am, too, and he was the main reason I wanted Argentina to win. He's a little undervalued in his home country. But I will say, perhaps controversially, he didn't step up. He did seem nervous, and it seemed apparent that the pressure weighed on him the whole match. Both sides were kind of tentative through a lot of it. But I wished that Messi had been able to break through and prove his mettle for Argentina. Anyway, young Goetze's goal WAS gorgeous. And ended the match almost exactly the way/when Iniesta's did 4 years ago…late in the 2nd OT, just when a penalty shoot out seemed all but inevitable.

No controversy at all , no striker stepped up for either team to be fair. The real person in Higuain who will feel the most burden of losing, unable to score. He is a horrible finisher this world cup missing tons of chances in every game

I dont feel bad for him, I mean he got a award he did not deserve actually and a silver medal is also a great honour in my books