2014 Davis Cup

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So much for people not believing when Fed said that his back has healed and he could not
perform well against Monfils due to his lack of practice (which was caused as he wanted to
give time for the back to heal).

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
So much for people not believing when Fed said that his back has healed and he could not
perform well against Monfils due to his lack of practice (which was caused as he wanted to

Yeah you're right, because winning a match means your injury has healed. No player ever won a match injured, ever, especially against the mighty Richard Gasquet.

I swear logic on these boards is going down the toilet.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Yeah you're right, because winning a match means your injury has healed. No player ever won a match injured, ever, especially against the mighty Richard Gasquet.

Are you claiming that you saw something in that match that indicated to you that Fed's play is hampered due to back injury (leaving aside that he won)? Although I did not see the whole match,
I did not see any lingering effect based on the portions of it that I saw.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's difficult to believe his back was fully healed. He couldn't play on Sunday but it's fully healed by Friday? It's a strong recovery. It's not impossible but it's very fast. Especially at his age.

I think most likely he still has the effects but against Gasquet he could manage. But we'll see...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Are you claiming that you saw something in that match that indicated to you that Fed's play is hampered due to back injury (leaving aside that he won)? Although I did not see the whole match,
I did not see any lingering effect based on the portions of it that I saw.

No, I can't claim that I did. And yet, that's the most misunderstood part of injuries around here. People want to see a player paralyzed before conceding (and even then, I had to hear that Rafa wasn't moving that poorly against Wawrinka in the final two sets of the AO).

Federer looked stiff as hell against Monfils and his level was garbage. The things normally associated with a back injury were all present and evident through his lackluster play. The next day, Fed claimed it wasn't the injury, but lack of practice that affected the outcome. I call bull$hit, because lack of practice will only affect your timing, and if you're still playing like crap after two sets of competitive tennis (which should serve as practice, wouldn't you think?), then something is wrong. Now, of course you could claim Fed just had an off day then, but I think that would be hugely coincidental (almost as coincidental as Nadal's garbage results post-US Open, but we all know, that was purely because he "always stunk indoors.").

Now, did Fed make a miraculous recovery in two days, or did he just run across an opponent who he can manage, even with an injury? Your injury is obviously going to be magnified and bother you further against an opponent who tracks down your shots, moves you around, and has huge fire power, especially if he's having a great day. But if you're dominating off of both wings, and moving on your terms, AND you happen to have Roger's experience at dealing with these things and pacing yourself, you could very well have smooth sailing (nobody accused this injury of being career threatening), especially against, shall we say, a docile opponent.

The problem around here is we treat a win as a sure fire sign of no injury being present (but somehow refuse the injury notion when a player loses just the same). Case in point, any time someone says "Oh, X Player lost due to an injury? Then how come he beat player Y the previous day?" Here, it's almost the same in reverse, which is even more dumbfounding: "Oh, Fed was injured against Monfils? Then how come he beat Gasquet two days later?"

Well, I don't want to touch the first question with a 10 inch pole for now, for obvious reasons, but I'll answer the second question further: With pain killers, careful management, and an extra two days, it might very well be that his back got better.

Of course, what your initial sarcastic post fails to mention is when the debate about Fed's injury arose, it was after the Monfils match and the double's match. Nobody claimed he couldn't be feeling better on Sunday. In fact, I even predicted he'd beat Tsonga, let alone Gasquet.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
It's difficult to believe his back was fully healed. He couldn't play on Sunday but it's fully healed by Friday? It's a strong recovery. It's not impossible but it's very fast. Especially at his age.

Pretty much this.

Moreover, the logic astonishes me:

As early as Friday (the day he played Monfils), Federer couldn't practice because of his back injury. Yet, it's fully healed?

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:

I think most likely he still has the effects but against Gasquet he could manage. But we'll see...

A lot of ironic comments about his fast recovery, not only from French press...how is it possible to play and win DC 7 days after a back injury ??? I have to admit that I find it very strange (I'm not a sore loser, I'm happy for Stan who deserved to win DC, he's a rock and a nice guy)
Next time he'll say 'Im injured" I'll wait to have some proof before believing him...
We lost that's life nevertheless

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
What's so strange about an light injury that takes 4-5 days to heal?

Sometimes you're playing, feels something and is not able to play for the next two minutes. Two and a half minutes after you are there playing. Some injuries finish carreers. There's a whole universe in between. Simple as that.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
mrzz said:

Sometimes you're playing, feels something and is not able to play for the next two minutes. Two and a half minutes after you are there playing. Some injuries finish carreers. There's a whole universe in between. Simple as that.

Well said! I find the whole commentary quite amusing. Since when does an injury have to be long lasting. Sometimes you're temporarily incapacitated. Then the physios sort you out. Clearly the fight with Stan disrupted the work his chaps normally do on him. Just shows how important that part of the game is.

I don't believe he was injured against Monfils. I think he hadn't had sufficient practice on the surface, and lacked confidence. Before you know it, Gael turns into a monster and the match is over. Where's the conspiracy? His confidence seemed to pick up as the match went on, and the more he played the better he got. This is further reinforced by the fact that he used the double to play himself into form. Stan was the hero of this whole thing. Once Gasquet was scheduled to play him the whole thing was over. Folks can suck on whatever sour stuff they want, but it really looks to be that simple!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The key word in everything here is "fully." Was he "fully" healed on Sunday?

He was incapacitated sufficiently before the WTF final that he couldn't play. That's unusual for Federer, who's only been similarly incapacitated twice before, in over 1200 matches, so we had to conclude that the injury was bad. Now, most people accept he also skipped that match as a precaution against further damage - and obviously it was bad enough that he couldn't practice enough before the match with Gael.

This was the reason he gave for his defeat there.

But he was healed sufficiently to be able to play. Apparently the back even felt better at the end of the match with Gael than it did at the start.

But was he "fully" healed? I doubt it. I doubt he was "fully" healed on Saturday for the doubles, and he didn't need to be "fully" healed against Gasquet. He may have been improving his health all the time. So what we're saying is reasonable: he may not yet be "fully" healed.

It's funny round here, people so touchy. If Roger struggles in 2015 with his back, will you all conclude it's a "new injury" (which you'll obviously have to if this one is "fully healed") or will you say, "uh his back been giving continuous issues since 2002?" :ras:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
isabelle said:
Kieran said:

A lot of ironic comments about his fast recovery, not only from French press...how is it possible to play and win DC 7 days after a back injury ??? I have to admit that I find it very strange (I'm not a sore loser, I'm happy for Stan who deserved to win DC, he's a rock and a nice guy)
Next time he'll say 'Im injured" I'll wait to have some proof before believing him...
We lost that's life nevertheless

I think there is enough proof between Roger pulling out of the final of the 5th biggest event of the year, limiting his practice in the week leading up to DC, and then getting smoked in 3 easy sets by the likes of Monfils. How much more proof do you need??? No one said his back was going to be awful forever...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here are some excerpts from a tennis.com article on Saturday after the doubles match which
has some quotes both from both sides:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''I'm fine now. I understand you want to know everything about (my back). But I know as much as you do,'' said Federer, who picked up the injury last week at the ATP Finals. ''I've been very open and honest. For me, it's just about now, whatever it feels like, I feel like I am at 100 percent. I'll give it 100 percent".

His French counterpart Arnaud Clement stuck to his decision to send in Gasquet and Benneteau, and brushed off speculation that he was forced to rest Tsonga because of an injury. Tsonga and Gasquet trained together earlier Saturday, and Clement was bombarded with questions on his main player's condition.

''Imagine if there was something, I wouldn't tell you anyway,'' Clement said. ''Of course, I can just say that Jo rested today for some reasons, and there will be no problems tomorrow.''

French Tennis Federation president Jean Gachassin later told French TV that Tsonga was doubtful for Sunday's singles because of pain in an elbow.

Federer's prediction that he would play better in the doubles was right, as he served and moved far better. The Swiss duo converted their dominance to break for a 4-2 lead in the first set when Wawrinka unleashed a powerful forehand that Gasquet could hardly touch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Decide for yourself who is being honest and who is playing games. Whose words matched with deeds on sunday.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It was a straight sets final. The score line was 6-4, 6-2 and 6-2. However, both of these do not mean Gasquet was a pigeon waiting to be toasted that day based on the portions of the matches that I saw. There were lot of lengthy baseline rallies. There was some strategy on the part of Gasquet too in terms of the (usual practice these days by anybody) of attacking Fed's backhand. I don't think with his back bothering him Fed would have won against Gasquet. Gasquet was not a lame duck that day, he did go toe to toe with Fed on that day and the chances are that Fed would have lost if back was bothering him significantly.

Here are couple of lines from USA today article that supports my view also.

"Federer was sublime on Sunday against Gasquet, who was filling in for an injured Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. And though Gasuqet was far from struggling, the Frenchman never had a chance. This match wasn’t one-way traffic, it was Federer speeding around the Arc de Triomphe, never giving Gasquet room to make a move."

Some folks hold on to their pet notions, call themselves custodian of logic and do not want to let them be influenced by evidence coming from multiple directions.

Even on Friday, Fed's game improved as the match went on attesting to his assertion that
the primary factor was his lack of practice (especially with a surface change). Of course, everybody
would agree that the lack of practice was caused by the injury.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Guys, keep in mind, we are talking about back issues here.
Sometimes you have a spasm that feels like you will never be able to breath properly again. Yet, a couple of muscle relaxants and massages later, you are up and running in 3-4 days. But you are hesitant first time around to fully commit to everything, and slowly you test your limits and finally go all out.

That to me explains what happened with Roger.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Let's wait and see, eh? If he withdraws from India - for example - citing his back, then obviously he's not "fully" healthy yet.

If he cites the back for any injuries in the new year - the same.

However, as things stand, neither of these has happened and as a Rafa fan who's lived through enough heartache regarding injuries, I wouldn't wish it on him. We have less years ahead with Roger, than we have behind. I wish him good health and a nice trip to India...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
mrzz said:

It's actually REAAAAAAAAAALLY strange for an injury to be serious enough to make you forfeit one of the biggest finals of the year without even attempting to give it a go, spend the whole week without practicing DUE TO INJURY (I don't know if GSM is playing dumb or he genuinely fails to understand this point), loses a match in which he looks poor, serves poor, moves poor, then is magically fine two days later. It's even more strange considering the same player in question just spent the entirety of last year struggling with back injuries.

I mean this is literally one of the most obvious things I've ever debated here. The fact that this has to be explained dumbfounding to me. I mean, pain killers and playing Richard Gasquet do wonders.

But no, you guys are right, your theory is totally plausible. In fact, the arguments I've heard from everyone, which so far have zero substance other than "Roger said he's healed before the match) are bullet-proof.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Some folks hold on to their pet notions, call themselves custodian of logic and do not want to let them be influenced by evidence coming from multiple directions.

Oh cut it off. Stop it with the passive aggressive bull$hit for once. What evidence? An expert from an article saying Roger played well? Really? That's all you can offer?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Let's wait and see, eh? If he withdraws from India - for example - citing his back, then obviously he's not "fully" healthy yet.

If he cites the back for any injuries in the new year - the same.

However, as things stand, neither of these has happened and as a Rafa fan who's lived through enough heartache regarding injuries, I wouldn't wish it on him. We have less years ahead with Roger, than we have behind. I wish him good health and a nice trip to India...

1. I don't think he will withdraw from the Circus. He gets paid a million bucks a night and that too for playing one set of exo tennis with no-ad scoring. It surely cannot aggravate his injuries. He
has greater danger of getting injured by eating the spicy food out there.

2. There will probably be an occasion next year where he will cite back injury. This is because he has been having back issues since 2003. Not continuously. But it is a reoccurring issue. You cannot make any conclusions (about his state in DCF) based on a potential withdrawal from some event some time next year.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Guys, keep in mind, we are talking about back issues here.
Sometimes you have a spasm that feels like you will never be able to breath properly again. Yet, a couple of muscle relaxants and massages later, you are up and running in 3-4 days. But you are hesitant first time around to fully commit to everything, and slowly you test your limits and finally go all out.

That to me explains what happened with Roger.

A week ago, Roger was someone who was struggling with back injuries since 2003 according to one poster, and 2008 according to another. Now it's just a spasm that magically healed.

I guess I'll ignore the 19201010 times Roger brought up his back issues last year.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To Game Set and Math:

Since you're acting like a wise-ass, please explain to me the following:

How does an article describing Fed's victory over Gasquet prove that he wasn't injured against Monfils?

Keep in mind, this was literally all I was arguing. The argument about Roger's back injury was after the Monfils match. Of course, you still thought it would make you look smart by making the "so much for Fed's back injury" comment, but if I were to subscribe to your magic healing theory, then can't it mean that Fed's back healed AFTER the Monfils loss (I still don't think it did, but I'm following your "logic")?

I wonder why you haven't offered any "proof" in the shape of some newspaper article talking about Fed's performance in THAT match, and how well (read: poorly) he moved.

But no, you're right, I AM the one stubbornly holding on to an opinion.