2014 Davis Cup

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Wikipedia is being used as a reliable source over topics one clearly has no idea about. Great.

Nothing that Johnsteinbeck (or anybody else) said casts a cloud over the reliability of what is stated in that Wikipedia page.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Wikipedia is being used as a reliable source over topics one clearly has no idea about. Great.

Wikipedia is actually probably the most reliable information source freely available on the internet. Even beats paid sources. It might not be very detailed sometimes, but it's a good starting point for information.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
johnsteinbeck said:
Germany currently has suspended the mandatory military service system altogether.

And the whole of France say, "merci..."

Make that the civilized world.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Wikipedia is actually probably the most reliable information source freely available on the internet. Even beats paid sources. It might not be very detailed sometimes, but it's a good starting point for information.

It is a good starting point, but that's it. If you call Wikipedia "reliable" I feel sorry for the information you acquire.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Denisovich said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

It is a good starting point, but that's it. If you call Wikipedia "reliable" I feel sorry for the information you acquire.

Nah, you're being a snob. If you don't like it, help improve it.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Denisovich said:

lol, seriously? You want me to help "improve" what exactly? Do you understand how Wikipedia works? You do know it's is universally accepted as unreliable too, right? Maybe you need to research Wikipedia...and not on Wikipedia!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's just say it as it is... Federer escaped military service because he's Switzerland's greatest sporting export and an ambassador for the country. Forget bad backs... video footage of him racing around a tennis court like a greyhound wouldn't be admissable evidence for giving him a pass to avoid duty in the armed forces.

But the bottom line is... The Swiss made the right call... and the case for Thiem is a totally different kettle of fish.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Denisovich said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

lol, seriously? You want me to help "improve" what exactly? Do you understand how Wikipedia works? You do know it's is universally accepted as unreliable too, right? Maybe you need to research Wikipedia...and not on Wikipedia!

It's perfectly fine to use Wikipedia to look up stuff like military service requirements, tennis stats, zoology, basic historic events etc. it works very well and is one of the most reliable internet sources. Many university professors help keep the encyclopedia up to date. Obviously there is no top notch research published there, but that's not what it's meant for.

Wikipedia gets bashed a lot mainly because of the past, yet it has more and more reliable information than encyclopedia brittanica. If you find an article that is not up to standards you can help improve it, instead of acting like a snob like you are doing.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
britbox said:
Let's just say it as it is... Federer escaped military service because he's Switzerland's greatest sporting export and an ambassador for the country. Forget bad backs... video footage of him racing around a tennis court like a greyhound wouldn't be admissable evidence for giving him a pass to avoid duty in the armed forces.

But the bottom line is... The Swiss made the right call... and the case for Thiem is a totally different kettle of fish.

I have no problem with big sports stars skipping such a thing. Please, there are other people in any country where military service is a must that can do the job, let's leave sportsmen to do what they know best: compete in their sport.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Billie said:
britbox said:

I have no problem with big sports stars skipping such a thing. Please, there are other people in any country where military service is a must that can do the job, let's leave sportsmen to do what they know best: compete in their sport.

Which is the same as saying:

"I have no problem with big movie stars skipping such a thing. Please, there are other people in any country where military service is a must that can do the job, let's leave movie stars to do what they know best: act in their films."

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Denisovich said:

It's perfectly fine to use Wikipedia to look up stuff like military service requirements, tennis stats, zoology, basic historic events etc. it works very well and is one of the most reliable internet sources. Many university professors help keep the encyclopedia up to date. Obviously there is no top notch research published there, but that's not what it's meant for.

Wikipedia gets bashed a lot mainly because of the past, yet it has more and more reliable information than encyclopedia brittanica. If you find an article that is not up to standards you can help improve it, instead of acting like a snob like you are doing.

This explains a lot.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Denisovich said:
It's perfectly fine to use Wikipedia to look up stuff like military service requirements, tennis stats, zoology, basic historic events etc.

It has a very accurate entry on ufology too.

Edit:

94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6.jpg

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
tented said:
Billie said:
britbox said:

"I have no problem with big movie stars skipping such a thing. Please, there are other people in any country where military service is a must that can do the job, let's leave movie stars to do what they know best: act in their films."

Well it's not the same thing really. Actors can postpone their films for a few months, a year, whatever the length of the military service is, but for a future world class sportsmen, that time when they have to postpone their training for military service can be crucial.

I don't know what you are arguing with me here? Can you at least state 1 Swiss world famous actor? I don't think that the development of actors and singers can be majorly impacted by military service.:cool:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
Actors can postpone their films for a few months, a year,

Well, no. Because the director/studio would just find somebody else to play the role instead. Please don't find this as bullying.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Billie said:
tented said:
Billie said:

Well it's not the same thing really. Actors can postpone their films for a few months, a year, whatever the length of the military service is, but for a future world class sportsmen, that time when they have to postpone their training for military service can be crucial.

I don't know what you are arguing with me here? Can you at least state 1 Swiss world famous actor? I don't think that the development of actors and singers can be majorly impacted by military service.:cool:

Actually, it's exactly the same thing: giving preferential treatment to people based on their popularity. It's a variation on Leona Helmsley's line "only the little people pay taxes" -- "only the little people do their military service."

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Let's wait and see, eh? If he withdraws from India - for example - citing his back, then obviously he's not "fully" healthy yet.

If he cites the back for any injuries in the new year - the same.

1. Rog has indeed shown up in India to collect his huge paycheck.

2. As for your second remark, it is asking for too much. If you have a headache and your wife asks after few days whether you have recovered, will you say "Honey, please wait until end of 2015 and then I will be able to say whether I recovered fully".

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Headaches are now compared to recurring back issues. I mean it's less offensive than stem cells being compared to slavery, or Moxie being compared to Nazis but still...Oh my lord.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The point is there is no such thing called total recovery from a recurring back issue. There
is only recovery from the current episode of it.

I wonder whether geniuses do take comparisons literally without pausing to think about
the point of the comparison. :nono

Finally, when a new poster was pointing out that Fed had back issues for a long time,
established posters tried to jump on that fellow and suppress him. Until, I provided specific
evidence that he has been having back ache even in 2003, many thought it is a byproduct
of Fed aging up. Now, after accepting it, they try to use it against my argument and that
too improperly.:lolz:

I know Kieran is your buddy. But, that does not mean you should try to defend his bad
logic, especially when you are fully capable of creating your own bad logic (and get
irritated when exposed about it).

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
The point is there is no such thing called total recovery from a recurring back issue. There
is only recovery from the current episode of it.

I wonder whether geniuses do take comparisons literally without pausing to think about
the point of the comparison. :nono

Finally, when a new poster was pointing out that Fed had back issues for a long time,
established posters tried to jump on that fellow and suppress him. Until, I provided specific
evidence that he has been having back ache even in 2003, many thought it is a byproduct
of Fed aging up. Now, after accepting it, they try to use it against my argument and that
too improperly.:lolz:

I know Kieran is your buddy. But, that does not mean you should try to defend his bad
logic, especially when you are fully capable of creating your own bad logic (and get
irritated when exposed about it).

Oh boy, I never disputed that Federer had a back injury in 2003. I said that just because you get the same injury twice over the span of FIVE YEARS does not mean that's some sort of chronic condition, the way said poster's comments implicated. That was it. The poster was somehow upset and wanted to go back into hiding and you started your typical "this forum is filled with bullies" propaganda.

So yeah, I'm sorry if I think that old Federer getting a back injury in 2013 is unrelated to the one he had ten years earlier, which never forced him to miss any time, or cost him any match as evidenced by the fact that he almost literally won everything.