waste his energies on DC. That excuse is probably not valid anymore
(unless made by Wawrinka ;)).

They have a tough opener against Serbia and then two relatively easy
matches in QF and SF and then a tough final against Spain, the projected
opponent.

Anyway, Roger needs to accumulate some DC play in order to qualify
for Olympics 2016 (he did not play any in 2013). So, I guess he will play
at least 1 or 2 rounds in 2014. My recommendation for him would be to
try the opener. If they win the opener, continue trying until they fail.
If they lose, they have only one more tie in 2014 which will be the
play offs to stay in the international group.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
It all depends on if Swiss has home court against Serbia , or Spain. I don't know who had home in their last match-ups, but if the Swiss has home for both, they pick grass against Serbia, and ice against Spain...

Serbia has choice of courts in the first match against Switzerland.

If the swiss folks can win that, for all you know they might not have to play
Spain in finals (assuming Spain trips somewhere in between, possibly due to
stars not playing).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
It all depends on if Swiss has home court against Serbia , or Spain. I don't know who had home in their last match-ups, but if the Swiss has home for both, they pick grass against Serbia, and ice against Spain...

Ice, ROFL! :laydownlaughing Way to hamper the supreme movement of Nadal lol.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
1972Murat said:

Serbia has choice of courts in the first match against Switzerland.

If the swiss folks can win that, for all you know they might not have to play
Spain in finals (assuming Spain trips somewhere in between, possibly due to
stars not playing).

We'll see how Serbia does this weekend, but their team is not as formidable as it was in 2010 when Tipsarevic and Troicki were also both top 10-15. Tough first round for the Swiss, but they could come through. And Spain could go out early like this year, as you say, if the stars don't play. I hope Rafa doesn't, and I don't think Ferrer should. Spain could get to Canada, who beat them last time. (Unless Spain is home, then they'll play on clay.) Intriguing thoughts, GSM…thanks for previewing 2014. :)

Front242 said:
1972Murat said:

Ice, ROFL! :laydownlaughing Way to hamper the supreme movement of Nadal lol.

That was too funny! They can play on a glacier, if Switzerland has any left. And at altitude…that would mess with the Spaniards.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Davis Cup 2014

Take Me Out to the Davis Cup? U.S. to Play Britain in Baseball Park

Jim Courier, US Davis Cup captain: “You have to look at all the factors; you can’t just look at Andy Murray,” Courier said. “You have to assume that if you play him on a bed of nails, he’s going to be a tough out.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/sports/tennis/take-me-out-to-the-davis-cup-us-to-play-britain-in-baseball-park.html?smid=tw-share

Courier said the decision to play outdoors on clay was a team one and was also because, given previous results, it was the British team’s weakest surface. Andy Murray, the reigning Wimbledon champion, missed the end of this season after back surgery, but he is expected to return to the tour in 2014 and has said that, if healthy, he will play the first round of the Davis Cup.

What it could look like.

BYV5yk8CEAAatHi.jpg

I've read it's the same weekend as something called the Super Bowl. I think that is a big deal in the US. Not sure what the crowds will be like.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
RE: Davis Cup 2014

Del Potro lashes out at Argentine federation, won't play first Cup tie in 2014

In a letter to the Argentine Tennis Federation, Juan Martin del Potro criticizes the Davis Cup selection process and says he won’t play his country’s 2014 opening-round tie against Italy. Over the past few years, Del Potro has been odds with the federation, team captains, and some teammates, specifically the now-retired David Nalbandian, who is considered a Davis Cup hero in the South American nation.

Del Potro, who just contested the ATP World Tour Finals, says that the federation and captain Martin Jaite are being too impatient waiting for his response as they try and contact him during tournaments.

“I’m tired of being invited by mail or messages and at the same time you are pressuring me through certain [members of] the press, writing whether I will play Davis Cup or not, trying to let me look bad in front of public opinion,” del Potro wrote. “It seems a hypocritical double standard. The same thing happened last year, when any reply or failure to reply [on my part] was quickly known by some journalists. I was never consulted on the choice of captain, surfaces, offices, etc., and the one time you did it was for the series against Czech Republic in 2012, and you did not take my opinion into account.”

Del Potro is 12-6 lifetime in Davis Cup and last played in 2012, when he won three matches, two against Croatia in the quarterfinals and one against the Czech Republic in a semifinal loss. Del Potro was heavily criticized for being unable to play the third day of the semifinal tie, even though he was injured.

“Since I began playing Davis Cup I have only played the first series of the year once, [due to] calendar and surface issues,” he wrote. “In recent days with my team we analyzed the medical, physical and technical [issues] with very little time because of the urgent response you need. I will not play the first series against Italy.”

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I love that they're playing it in a baseball stadium. That's thinking outside of the box, though I hope they're planning on putting up seating on the other side, or else there won't be a great capacity option. Clay is an "interesting" choice for the US. Don't worry about the Super Bowl, Iona. I'm pretty sure that So. California has enough people who'd chose tennis over US football. …or else the stadium will be empty on the Sunday.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
I love that they're playing it in a baseball stadium. That's thinking outside of the box, though I hope they're planning on putting up seating on the other side, or else there won't be a great capacity option. Clay is an "interesting" choice for the US. Don't worry about the Super Bowl, Iona. I'm pretty sure that So. California has enough people who'd chose tennis over US football. …or else the stadium will be empty on the Sunday.

The GBR captain did think the US would pick clay to try and negate Andy. It's a smart move. So is the location.

An empty stadium on the Sunday would be fine by me Moxie. :)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Can this thread be merged with the other davis cup 2014 thread to make the discussion
unified.?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

[attachment=42]im sure there is an airbus A380 superjumbo just started from Melbourne/Sydney-Los Angeles,

so after the aust open..murray can travel in 21st century comfort.

Attachments

• A380_&_Red_Arrows_-_RIAT_2013.jpg
    A380_&_Red_Arrows_-_RIAT_2013.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 69

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions

GameSetAndMath said:
Can this thread be merged with the other davis cup 2014 thread to make the discussion
unified.?

I didn't see another Davis Cup 2014 thread - only the 2013 one. Merge it by all means. :)

secrettennisjunkie

Club Member
Reactions
If Federer plays for the Swiss against Serbia, they'll certainly have a fighting chance. If they win the doubles, they don't even need to beat Djokovic. And don't write Spain into the finals just yet because they have to go to Germany and then likely to France. Spain often doesn't have their top players in road ties and they always are played on lightning fast courts. I believe Switz-Spain would be in Switzerland, which would give the Swiss a fighting chance, but there's lots that would need to happen in between time just for those countries to reach the final.

secrettennisjunkie

Club Member
Reactions

Look at the US results recently. They win a lot on clay and play poorly at home on hard courts. Recent wins against Switzerland, France, Chile, and Colombia all on clay, home losses to Spain and Serbia plus nearly choking against Brazil on hard.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Iona16 said:

Jim Courier, US Davis Cup captain: “You have to look at all the factors; you can’t just look at Andy Murray,” Courier said. “You have to assume that if you play him on a bed of nails, he’s going to be a tough out.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/sports/tennis/take-me-out-to-the-davis-cup-us-to-play-britain-in-baseball-park.html?smid=tw-share

Courier said the decision to play outdoors on clay was a team one and was also because, given previous results, it was the British team’s weakest surface. Andy Murray, the reigning Wimbledon champion, missed the end of this season after back surgery, but he is expected to return to the tour in 2014 and has said that, if healthy, he will play the first round of the Davis Cup.

I hope Andy isn't pressured into playing. It may be better for him if he took some time off at that point, so that he's ready for the IW/Miami Masters.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
secrettennisjunkie said:
Look at the US results recently. They win a lot on clay and play poorly at home on hard courts. Recent wins against Switzerland, France, Chile, and Colombia all on clay, home losses to Spain and Serbia plus nearly choking against Brazil on hard.

Now that you point it out, this is unexpected, isn't it? The win against France was particularly surprising.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iona16 said:
Del Potro lashes out at Argentine federation, won't play first Cup tie in 2014

In a letter to the Argentine Tennis Federation, Juan Martin del Potro criticizes the Davis Cup selection process and says he won’t play his country’s 2014 opening-round tie against Italy. Over the past few years, Del Potro has been odds with the federation, team captains, and some teammates, specifically the now-retired David Nalbandian, who is considered a Davis Cup hero in the South American nation.

Del Potro, who just contested the ATP World Tour Finals, says that the federation and captain Martin Jaite are being too impatient waiting for his response as they try and contact him during tournaments.

“I’m tired of being invited by mail or messages and at the same time you are pressuring me through certain [members of] the press, writing whether I will play Davis Cup or not, trying to let me look bad in front of public opinion,” del Potro wrote. “It seems a hypocritical double standard. The same thing happened last year, when any reply or failure to reply [on my part] was quickly known by some journalists. I was never consulted on the choice of captain, surfaces, offices, etc., and the one time you did it was for the series against Czech Republic in 2012, and you did not take my opinion into account.”

Del Potro is 12-6 lifetime in Davis Cup and last played in 2012, when he won three matches, two against Croatia in the quarterfinals and one against the Czech Republic in a semifinal loss. Del Potro was heavily criticized for being unable to play the third day of the semifinal tie, even though he was injured.

“Since I began playing Davis Cup I have only played the first series of the year once, [due to] calendar and surface issues,” he wrote. “In recent days with my team we analyzed the medical, physical and technical [issues] with very little time because of the urgent response you need. I will not play the first series against Italy.”

Argentina will never win DC with this type of behaviour. team spirit guys, team spirit !!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Iona16 said:

What it could look like.

BYV5yk8CEAAatHi.jpg

I've read it's the same weekend as something called the Super Bowl. I think that is a big deal in the US. Not sure what the crowds will be like.

tennis matches in a baseball stadium with a temporary stand and another stand that seems to be slanting away from the court. :huh:

ummm yeah, seems ideal. :puzzled