2014 Davis Cup

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Australia playing today against France. Starts at 11:30pm and ends at 5:00AM AEST. Can't wait!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
http://www.daviscup.com/en/home.aspx

I'm not sure I'd give Australia a big chance v. France.

Italy v. Argentina should be highly competitive! I wouldn't call that one.

I think Germany v. Spain is tough to call, though I have to give the edge to Germany.

Switzerland looks to take down powerhouse Serbia, with only the Serbian scrubs playing, and Fed and Stan on the team for the Swiss.

The US should get through over Britain…but we shall see.

Could be some fun tennis this weekend! Just when we thought the season had gone fallow. :)

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:

I think Germany v. Spain is tough to call, though I have to give the edge to Germany.

Switzerland looks to take down powerhouse Serbia, with only the Serbian scrubs playing, and Fed and Stan on the team for the Swiss.

Could be some fun tennis this weekend! Just when we thought the season had gone fallow. :)

Germany V. Spain is super competitive. Spain really sent out the B team this year. Feli is the #1. Surface could make a big difference. Very tough to call.

USA USA USA

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Moxie629 said:

Germany V. Spain is super competitive. Spain really sent out the B team this year. Feli is the #1. Surface could make a big difference. Very tough to call.

USA USA USA

Agree on Germany v. Spain. Indoor HC could be the decider. Remember that Verdasco/Marrero won the WTC in doubles. And of course, Bautista Agut is the guy who took down Del Potro in the AO.

And the USA is playing on that converted baseball field in San Diego. I expect big home field advantage.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
No home field advantage for USA, especially if the tie goes to Sunday. The entire country
would be matching Superbowl and not a soul would be watching Donald Young lose to
Murray. I doubt whether they can fill up the stadium even if they give free tickets on
sunday evening.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Riotbeard said:
Moxie629 said:

USA USA USA

Agree on Germany v. Spain. Indoor HC could be the decider. Remember that Verdasco/Marrero won the WTC in doubles. And of course, Bautista Agut is the guy who took down Del Potro in the AO.

And the USA is playing on that converted baseball field in San Diego. I expect big home field advantage.

All three days are sold out. I give Young a chance actually.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Now that Fed is playing in the first round, I expect that he will continue to play
in all successive rounds until Switzerland either wins the title or loses at some stage.
I am glad Roger decided to play right from the beginning. It will look cheap if he just
played in the final round and claims the DC.

I expect Roger to play Doubles with Stan at IW and also in Toronto by way
of practice for the next two rounds of DC.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Now that Fed is playing in the first round, I expect that he will continue to play
in all successive rounds until Switzerland either wins the title or loses at some stage.
I am glad Roger decided to play right from the beginning. It will look cheap if he just
played in the final round and claims the DC.

I expect Roger to play Doubles with Stan at IW and also in Toronto by way
of practice for the next two rounds of DC.

Did Youngderer decide to play before or after Nole W/O ????
If Nole had played, would Youngderer be there ???

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
No home field advantage for USA, especially if the tie goes to Sunday. The entire country
would be matching Superbowl and not a soul would be watching Donald Young lose to
Murray. I doubt whether they can fill up the stadium even if they give free tickets on
sunday evening.

It's also worth noting that Murray is very much mortal on clay. Good, but no title or finals at any level.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Roger took care of his match in straight sets Bozoljac.
Canada -Japan is 1-1. It is a good first day considering Milos and Popsicle are both absent from singles action.

Doh. I completely forgot to watch Roger's match! :(

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
GameSetAndMath said:
sunday evening.

It's also worth noting that Murray is very much mortal on clay. Good, but no title or finals at any level.

True but he made semis at RG in 2011 which is a decent achievement.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
1972Murat said:
Roger took care of his match in straight sets Bozoljac.
Canada -Japan is 1-1. It is a good first day considering Milos and Popsicle are both absent from singles action.

Doh. I completely forgot to watch Roger's match! :(

He posted pics of the new swords, ready for battle.

BfS_vNgCYAAhZpY.jpg

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Riotbeard said:
GameSetAndMath said:
sunday evening.

True but he made semis at RG in 2011 which is a decent achievement.

Considering his style of play and the others results, he should be more accomplished on clay. He is the only one in the top 5 without a clay title.

A very rare spot of rain this morning here...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Never heard such biased commentators as these French dudes routing for Tsonga.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Tsonga and Hewitt in a 3rd set TB. Entertaining match.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Thought Hewitt would at least get a set. Disappointing for him.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone watching Stan's match? He playing well?