2013 Wimbledon Final: Djokovic vs. Murray

Who wins?

• Total voters

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Match Stats:
Novak Djokovic (SRB)<---->Andy Murray (GBR)
4<-----Aces----->9
4<----Double faults--->2
68 of 105 = 65 % 1st serves in 67 of 105 = 64 %
40 of 68 = 59 % 1st serve points won 48 of 67 = 72 %
15 of 37 = 41 % 2nd serve points won 16 of 38 = 42 %
127 MPH Fastest serve 131 MPH
118 MPH Average 1st serve speed 117 MPH
97 MPH Average 2nd serve speed 80 MPH
30 of 52 = 58 % Net points won 26 of 37 = 70 %
4 of 13 = 31 % Break points won 7 of 17 = 41 %
41 of 105 = 39 % Receiving points won 50 of 105 = 48 %
31 Winners 36
40 Unforced errors 21
96<---Total points won--->114

201307071228449061606-p2@stats.com.jpg

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good win for Murray, and I am happy that the ATP has entered the post-British-man-must-win-Wimbledon phase because I have grown to be very tired of it.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
To the Djokovic fans: I know it's not a good day, but your guy had a terrific tournament, including winning that great, epic semifinal. I'm sure Novak will bounce back quickly. He always does, no? The USO will be very interesting.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
ricardo said:
To me that was a great match, so unsure of the result until the final ball.... pretty sure the match would've still been in the air if Novak won that break point. Very happy for Murray, but it really shows what a champion Djoker is. The guy is absolute steel under pressure, in comparison Murray is still a kid learning his way but he is getting better. Doesn't matter how good you are, a real champ must have the mind of one.

Asmodeus said:
Are you telling me none of you guys picked Murray in 3?

Though I really don't like Murray one bit I am happy The Joke is stuck at 6.

I don't know, but you can't watch Djoker and not admire him. The guy is made of steel.

This was not a match from Djokovic that displayed any steel. That was the puzzling thing, he went quietly into the night. Not sure if it means anything in the future or it was just a bad day physically and mentally at the office.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He went quietly last year at Wimbledon too...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
He went quietly last year at Wimbledon too...

Yes, but not like this. That one last year was his 2nd worst of the last few years though.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
For Iona.

Congrats my lady:
070713-Wimbledon-Andy-Murray-DG-PI_20130707125230489_660_320.JPG

and
F35989B92AAC517CBE230B94B7D9A.jpg

Yes, Congrats to Iona and Andy\Team.. Iona has taken a lot of abuse from a lot of us(I know I have been hard on her) over the years as she has been very loyal to her guy and gracious to rest of us especially the Rafa supporters. Iona, it was all in good fun no disrespect ever intended.:clap:clap;):)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I never believe in congratulating fans for sitting on their hole the same way the losing players fans did. Why not congratulate the neutral fans for successfully snuggling up on the sofa too? Some neutral fans do this in style.

But - I want to hear from Iona! So bring her on.

Questions for Iona:

How long are your fingernails?

How long were they before the match?

Could you watch the match?

Did you kick any household pets?

How many laps did you run around the living room?

Are you drunk now?

Will you buy the DVD?

And wasn't it funny when Andy forgot to hug his dear old devoted mother? :D

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congrats to Andy....what a great win.I tipped him to win in 4 or 5 sets.....never thought it would be in straight sets.
Well done Andy....now you have 'that monkey off your back'....I expect you can win more titles at Wimbledon.

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
DarthFed said:
This was not a match from Djokovic that displayed any steel. That was the puzzling thing, he went quietly into the night. Not sure if it means anything in the future or it was just a bad day physically and mentally at the office.

I was thinking the same thing. This was anything BUT clutch tennis. It's probably Djokovic's worst slam final performance. Maybe even one of his worst performances in a big match. To say that he displayed steel is laughable.

Every time he had a lead, he led it slip away. He made head scratching UFEs at the most inopportune moments, insane net rushes, lost his temper and composure, and almost never got a foothold in the match despite being ahead a few times (and even 4-1 in set 2). This was far away from the guy who saved Match points against Fed and beat Nadal in 3 slam Finals. Not the ruthless machine who became #1.

All credit to Murray though. Played a great match and held his nerve. Hopefully he can play more offensive tennis now that the monkey of his back. He's so much better when he hits through the ball and stands in.

Finally, one could NOW make a reasonable argument that Murray might be a better grasscourt player than Djokovic, which is what I said before the match. Except that I didn't know Djokovic would cave in so meekly.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
This match was like RG 2012 to me. Everytime Roger was ahead he played atrocious and gave the lead right back. Same today with Novak but congrats to Andy all the same for seizing the moment when his opponent was very sub par.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
all credit to murray but like you guys mentioned this was not the normal djoker. he didnt play bad per se but neither was he at his best. Maybe it had to do with delpo match but we've seen him bounce back before AO2012 being one on shorter rest too. so we will have to see. i still say hes slight fav for US open

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions
I know I'm late to the party but congratulations to Murray, the Brits, Iona and the rest of his fans.

This has to be so S-W-E-E-T!

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Andy Murray winning Wimbledon this year reminds me of Rafael Nadal winning Wimbledon five years ago. Both of them lost a tight match to Federer the year before they won title. Also, both of them were in tears in their speeches. But the most important thing was both of them needed to win Wimbledon to prove something to the world. I remembered Nadal wanted to win Wimbledon so badly because that was his dream and he wanted to prove to the world that he is just not a Clay court player. And he wanted to prove to the world that he can win outside of the French Open. Fast forward five years later, it is the same for Murray. Now of course, the pressure is a lot different. But, Murray wanted to win Wimbledon for his own country and to prove that he isn't a one slam wonder. Let's hope winning Wimbledon will catapult Murray to the number one ranking (and hopefully more Majors) just like Nadal five years ago.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is quite simply a marvelous day for Scotland, Great Britain and all fans Murray. The lad was clutch today and totally deserving of praise and adulation for his major accomplishment. I'm happy for him, his fans and the game of tennis. He is a legitimate champion and nobody here (or in the world of tennis generally) can really feel or know what kind of intense pressure and expectations Murray was playing under. I think it must've been extraordinary. Kudos to him and his team. We'll done!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy should fly to Monte Carlo 2nite to celebrate by playing craps.. Here is why.. its all about the Sevens

Today was seven month and seventh day (JULY 7th)
Its been 77 years since Fred Perry won the last Wimbledon title for England
This was Murray 7 GS final
Murray has 7 victories over Djoker
Murray is 7 days older than Djoker
Djoker was attempting to capture his 7th GS singles titles

It was all in the cards for Andy today, rather it was all about the 7s.:clap

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
kskate2 said:
For Iona.

Congrats my lady:
070713-Wimbledon-Andy-Murray-DG-PI_20130707125230489_660_320.JPG

and
F35989B92AAC517CBE230B94B7D9A.jpg

Yes, Congrats to Iona and Andy\Team.. Iona has taken a lot of abuse from a lot of us(I know I have been hard on her) over the years as she has been very loyal to her guy and gracious to rest of us especially the Rafa supporters. Iona, it was all in good fun no disrespect ever intended.:clap:clap;):)

Thanks to kskate2 for the fabulous photos. They bring a tear to my eye.

AntiPusher - Thanks for the congrats and your kind words. I really appreciate them. I don't remember any abuse though. Perhaps I blocked it all out. :)

Thanks to everyone for the congrats to Andy and his fans. Very kind of you all. I'm a happy girl.

Kieran said:
I never believe in congratulating fans for sitting on their hole the same way the losing players fans did. Why not congratulate the neutral fans for successfully snuggling up on the sofa too? Some neutral fans do this in style.

But - I want to hear from Iona! So bring her on.

Questions for Iona:

How long are your fingernails? A nice length.

How long were they before the match? I had special union flag nails. Way too expensive to bite.

Could you watch the match? It was a gorgeous day in Scotland. Lovely BBQ weather. We had a projector out in the garden to watch the match.

Did you kick any household pets? I might have done but none to kick.

How many laps did you run around the living room? I think I walked a marathon around the garden.

Are you drunk now? I've had some champagne. I don't drink so the 3 glasses have went to my head a little.

Will you buy the DVD? As soon as it comes out. I've already sent a tweet to the BBC.

And wasn't it funny when Andy forgot to hug his dear old devoted mother? :D Yep, oops.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Like the Union Jack nails!