2013 US Open SF: Nadal vs. Gasquet

Who ya got?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Nadal leads the series 10-0

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=G628

These two haven't played since the Davis Cup SF in Spain. A match Rafa took in straights.

Who ya got?
efe_20130831_222423_pa1346nadal_22704_1.jpg

vs.
126003-richard-gasquet.jpg

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal in 3, maybe 4 if Gasquet plays an inspired opening set before Nadal wins with his physicality, lack of talent, and stamina.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
wouldn't it be a laugh if Richard won..

Well, it would sure be a surprise. Even Richie mentioned that the last time he beat Rafa was when they were 14.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Heart says Gasquet gets a set.
Head says Nadal in 3 commanding sets.

Anyway, big result for French Tennis since we don't really know when Tsonga is going to return and if he's ever going to be the player he once was. At least we can rely on Richard. Our first boy since Pioline to make it to the Final 4 in New York City. Go out there and leave your soul on the court. Allez Mozart!

france-flag-01.gif

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa in straight sets
Loving the fact his serve still hasnt been broken soo far in this tournament...anti jinx of course

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Didi said:
Heart says Gasquet gets a set.
Head says Nadal in 3 commanding sets.

Anyway, big result for French Tennis since we don't really know when Tsonga is going to return and if he's ever going to be the player he once was. At least we can rely on Richard. Our first boy since Pioline to make it to the Final 4 in New York City. Go out there and leave your soul on the court. Allez Mozart!

france-flag-01.gif

Nice, Didi, and with the emoticon with the tricolore! Motivation is also to rise in the ranks for the YEC. I don't think he'll do it, but he's got plenty of motivation.

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
This one is tricky. Does Richard win a set or nae? We all knew Robredo would be mince meat in Rafa's hands. His countryman tries to use his feet to stay in matches and possesses a very limited offensive game whilst Gasquet is deadly on the backhand wing. Two 5-setters back to back for Richard is pretty extreme. Alright, I think Gasquet takes a set and breaks Nadal's serve at some point. That's really a best case scenario as far as I can see.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
AndrewWilliam said:
This one is tricky. Does Richard win a set or nae? We all knew Robredo would be mince meat in Rafa's hands. His countryman tries to use his feet to stay in matches and possesses a very limited offensive game whilst Gasquet is deadly on the backhand wing. Two 5-setters back to back for Richard is pretty extreme. Alright, I think Gasquet takes a set and breaks Nadal's serve at some point. That's really a best case scenario as far as I can see.

I think you're right...5 sets is too much to do again, and against Rafa, and I do think that's what it would take. Someone is going to break Rafa's serve, though, and it could be Gasquet. Take a set? Perhaps, but I'm not convinced.

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
AndrewWilliam said:

I think you're right...5 sets is too much to do again, and against Rafa, and I do think that's what it would take. Someone is going to break Rafa's serve, though, and it could be Gasquet. Take a set? Perhaps, but I'm not convinced.

No need to convince you, Moxie. I am still trying to convince myself of it! I really need to get back into those fantasy draw prediction games we used to play. They were a lot of fun.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Did not a 10-0 H2H got reversed recently? Can we see another one of it?
Just a wishful thinking, not that I expect it to happen.

Nadal against single handed beautiful backhand. The beast wins and the beauty dies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Did not a 10-0 H2H got reversed recently? Can we see another one of it?
Just a wishful thinking, not that I expect it to happen.

Nadal against single handed beautiful backhand. The beast wins and the beauty dies.

Aw, I hate that you say it like that. :( I know there has been a lot of love for the SHBH during this tournament, as a lot of the proponents have gone deep. But one nice shot is not the only description of beauty in a game. I like Nadal's varied and quirky game. One pretty shot, like a swallow, does not a late-summer tournament make. And I reckon that shot is going to get 'swallowed up' by a more complete game. :cool:

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
Oh I don't know....Nadal's forehand is as pretty as they come if you ask me. ;)

Night guys. See you tomorrow.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
AndrewWilliam said:

Even though Richard had two 5-set matches, he is going to have 2 days to recover.
So, it won't be a walkover. It will be reasonably competitive.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafael Nadal in straight sets. I think the first set will determine if this match will be competitive or not. I do believe it will be a competitive match but the way Nadal is playing right now, it could be manslaughter.

In ten meetings between the two, Gasquet only managed to win four sets. So, it will be really tough for him to win a set.

The one thing I'm curious to see if Nadal will get broken. So far in this tournament, he is 67 for 67 on his service games and he has only faced six break points. Since the semifinals of Cincy, Nadal has held 82 straight times. That is an unbelievable feat especially to a player who isn't known for his serve.

In my opinion, if he could reach the finals without losing his own serve, then I think he could break his own record of winning a Grand Slam title with the least service game broken which is five.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Same matchup issues as for Robredo, although Gasquet can do some more damage with the bh and serve. Gasquet was being awefully passive in the last three sets against Ferrer, still can't believe he pulled that one out (complete and very unusual meltdown by Ferrer).

If he does that against Nadal, he is toast.

Nadal in three.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa in three over Richie G.. Hopefully. Rafa has to save something for the final against one of the same birthday month twin(Djoker or Murray).