2013 US Open Final: Nadal vs. Djokovic

Who ya got?

• Total voters

Srini

Futures Player
Reactions
Clay Death said:
many believe that Sampras was a single trick pony.

nadal does what he has to. he is required to kill so he kills. on all surfaces.

he has everything that Sampras had and more except for the serve.

Sampras would be nothing without his serve but nadal can win without such a serve.

Hey CD, I am no Sampras fan or Rafa fan but I somehow feel belittling Sampras to show Nadal on a higher pedestal is not fair. Rafa's win today has got nothing to do with Sampras, both are great in their own right. Things evolve in every sphere of life, Tennis is no exception.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Nehmeth and other Nole fans, let me mention one great thing about Nole as a person
and a true tennis player and lover. Over the last three or four years, I have seen Nole
openly appreciating opponent's good shots DURING THE MATCH. He did that several
times today also. The interesting thing is that he actually means it, as he does not
appreciate all kinds of shots that wins the points for opponents and only excellent
shots. So, this is not a robotic move like apologizing to the opponent over a net
cord winner.

Thank you G.S.M. Thanks for noticing. One of many reasons why I appreciate Nole.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
I think USTA might want to rethink the Bonus Challenge after losing
more than 2 million dollars this year. They coughed out a million extra to Serena
and a million extra to Bull (not to mention quarter million extra to Vika and other
sundry stuff).

If they're not willing to pay it, they shouldn't offer it. They win in PR.

The original intention behind the Bonus Challenge is to make players
(such as European Players) who would not otherwise play in the USO Series, play in it.
However, it has been well established that it does not really happened.

IMHO, this money is better spent in promoting tennis at the grass roots
level within the united states.

Postpre

Club Member
Reactions
Clay Death said:
nole is the greatest mover the sport has ever seen.

he could have mastered any number of sports.

beating him is not exactly easy.

he has the best return the world has ever known and he has deadly finishing power off both wings.

his backhand is the best I have ever seen.

affirmative on all points.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Srini said:
Clay Death said:
many believe that Sampras was a single trick pony.

nadal does what he has to. he is required to kill so he kills. on all surfaces.

he has everything that Sampras had and more except for the serve.

Sampras would be nothing without his serve but nadal can win without such a serve.

Hey CD, I am no Sampras fan or Rafa fan but I somehow feel belittling Sampras to show Nadal on a higher pedestal is not fair. Rafa's win today has got nothing to do with Sampras, both are great in their own right. Things evolve in every sphere of life, Tennis is no exception.

I am not really trying to belittle anyone. that is the way I see it from my vantage point.

I just think that somebody like Sampras was a single trick pony.

somebody had said something to the effect that nadal wont be considered one dimensional if he keeps winning like this. just because nadal dominates the planet on the red clay for a decade does not make him one dimensional. he keeps proving that he can win on other surfaces.

hell after Wimbledon this year I was just waiting for monte carlo to roll around next year for nadal to try to shine. he surprised the whole world and proved all of us wrong. all in a matter of 3 weeks.

he is forcing all of us to rethink all that he can do on other surfaces too.

each and every person is entitled to his and her own opinion here.

the game is simply different today. a guy like Sampras would be considered and is considered in some tennis circles as single trick pony compared to the greatest players of this modern era.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Clay Death, watch the vid I sent you of Sampras and weep with awe!!

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
couldn't watch live, because work is going crazy atm... but left the re-run on on my office tv this morning.

CONGRATULATIONS Rafa and all Nadalites. just plain wonderful, tbh.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hey CD, in what way was Sampras a one trick pony? He won on all surfaces but clay, had a great S and V game, one of the best forehands ever, a damn good baseline game in general, and was one hell of an athlete. Curious to hear your reasons.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
CD basically said a couple weeks ago that the only match of Sampras he saw was the 5 set loss to Federer in 2001. That kind of explains it all. Put Sampras in there today and you have by far the best serve out of the top players (yes, way better than Roger's), by far the best net game and a very deadly forehand with good movement. Pete could play in any era, no doubt about it.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Congrats to all the Djoker fans.. He played fantastic though out the entire tourney and proved why is he is still the World's Number 1. Both players played with a lot of courage and Rafa was able to capitalized on the big points. The US Open typically ends my tennis year but I have enjoyed posting. My time is typically focuses on the AO thru the summer hardcourts series and finally the final grand slam, US Open. This is the time when Kieran, Moxie, Tented, Broken and all the other Rafa fans usually engage in competitive banter. I am quite sure there are going to be some fantastic topics that I will occasionally peek in on.

Later

AP

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Congrats to all the Djoker fans.. He played fantastic though out the entire tourney and proved why is he is still the World's Number 1. Both players played with a lot of courage and Rafa was able to capitalized on the big points. The US Open typically ends my tennis year but I have enjoyed posting. My time is typically focuses on the AO thru the summer hardcourts series and finally the final grand slam, US Open. This is the time when Kieran, Moxie, Tented, Broken and all the other Rafa fans usually engage in competitive banter. I am quite sure there are going to be some fantastic topics that I will occasionally peek in on.

Later

AP

You away? Thanks for sharing - and don't be shy if you want to say something before Oz! :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
the AntiPusher said:

Later

AP

You away? Thanks for sharing - and don't be shy if you want to say something before Oz! :)

Yeah, I am out.. Kieran.. don't worry MR K.. I wont be shy.. I don't roll like that.. the floor is all yours good Sir, Enjoy:)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
imjimmy said:
Before today's matches, I would have called Nadal in 4 or 5, but I am not so sure anymore.

To me it seems that both players are NOT playing that well. Nadal is definitely not playing the best hard court tennis of his carrer. He is not as sharp as he was in UsOpen 2010. His serve is not comparable and his ROS is also not as good. Today's match was a little disappointing from Nadal's perspective. His forehand didn't have the same penetration. He was overspinning his backhand and standing back for ROS making the server look good. This typically happens when Nadal is not very confident. In short: Rafa definitely looked better in the earlier rounds of the UsOpen. Especially against Robredo. So did Nadal peak too early at the Open?

If you thought Nadal was sub-par, things are not looking so great for Djokovic either. Wawrinka dismantled him for 1.5 sets today and was clearly the better player for the majority of the match. Djokovic has had difficulty being aggressive and changing direction with his DTL backhand. His serve too was also not as good as it usually is. In the end he won the match, because he was stronger physically and played better in the bigger moments. Biggest reason: Wawrinka didn't have the self-belief to seal the deal. In short Djokovic is not the same guy who blew the competition away in 2011.

So what's going to happen? The Montreal Nadal-Djokovic match was a very good indicator. Nadal was very aggressive (Especially with the off-forehand) and he continually changed direction and never backed off on his backhand side. He was pushing Djokovic from side to side and coming to the net at every opportunity. Then he raised his level in the Tie-break and hit HARD to Djokovic's forehand. Even then the match was close. I haven't seen Rafa play with the same authority in the UsOpen, which makes me wonder whether there is any truth in the speculation that Rafa's B team is better than the A team (Toni).

It'll come down to the day to day form. Nadal needs to play at atleast as well as he did in Montreal to have a good shot. Since Djokovic has the matchup advantage and has usually been better than Nadal at this surface, it's hard to argue against him. He tends to perform better against Rafa at non-clay slams while looking sub-par earlier (think UsOpen 2011, Wimb 2011 and AO 2012). For Nadal, it's now or never. He has all the momentum. The iron is hot, and he has to strike. No excuse in being defensive and losing.

All said and done, based on today's performances I have to say Djokovic in 5. But of course I'd be happy to be wrong.
Whoever wins this is the best player of the year IMO, irrespective of the rankings.

Good points imjimmy especially about Rafa's B team instead of A team with Toni. If you look at it, the B team is undefeated on the hardcourts and Rafa seems to had been playing looser.

I don't agree with what your analysis of Rafa's play so far in the USO but I do feel that you are saying what you honestly believe.

Here are my reasons:

Rafa's hardcourt success this year has been an astonishing accomplishment this year. To totally dominate the North American hardcourts master series is against all the top players in the ATP tour cannot be underestimated. ( I know he hasn't beaten Murray but truthfully Andy hasn't been his best during both swings of the North American tour).

Indian Wells

R64 Ryan Harrison (USA) 73 W 7-6(3), 6-2
R32 Leonardo Mayer (ARG) 64 W W/O
R16 Ernests Gulbis (LAT) 67 W 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
Q Roger Federer (SUI) 2 W 6-4, 6-2
S Tomas Berdych (CZE) 6 W 6-4, 7-5
W Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG) 7 W 4-6, 6-3, 6-4

Montreal
R32 Jesse Levine (CAN) 132 W 6-2, 6-0 Stats
R16 Jerzy Janowicz (POL) 18 W 7-6(6), 6-4 Stats
Q Marinko Matosevic (AUS) 74 W 6-2, 6-4 Stats
S Novak Djokovic (SRB) 1 W 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(2) Stats
W Milos Raonic (CAN) 13 W 6-2, 6-2

Cincinnati

R32 Benjamin Becker (GER) 100 W 6-2, 6-2
R16 Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 29 W 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
Q Roger Federer (SUI) 5 W 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
S Tomas Berdych (CZE) 6 W 7-5, 7-6(4)
W John Isner (USA) 22 W 7-6(8), 7-6(3)

Keep in mind that Rafa was scheduled to meet Isner and Federer at the USO which I still feel that his results would have been similar.

In the past especially after getting dismantle by JMDP at USO 09, it was said that Rafa couldn't handle the big hitters which at that time appeared to be true. Rafa has made a ton of adjustments to his game to counter this.

In the past against excellent hardcourt players such as Federer and Djoker, it was said that Rafa chances was less than certain but Rafa has counter this.

Djoker made some adjustments in his game since their meeting at the USO 2010 which Rafa won in 4 sets. The primary was when a short ball was hit to Djoker's backhand, Nole crushes the ball to Rafa's forehand by pull him off the court and controlling the center of the court.
Rafa has made some adjustments by being more aggressive to Djoker's forehand which is more prone to breakdown and produce more UFEs. ( please reference Montreal 2013).
Rafa has been more aggressive at the net and his slice backhand down the line is landing deeper so far this year. Unlike the past, Rafa is playing the big points in his service games better mostly by going for more placements with his serve and shorten the points. He is playing more aggressively from the beginning of his matches with Djoker and shorten the rallies.

I have stated before, if all things remain true, it will always be Rafa vs Djoker. When they are both healthy, they are the best two players on the planet on every surface regardless of what happen this year at SW19. These two are Twins in talent, movement and defense. It too hard to make a prediction because it should come down to just a few points, who plays the big points better. So far this year it has been Rafa and I cant see why there is a need to change.

This is the best Rafa has ever been on the hardcourts.

The biggest intangible is confidence, Rafa is the more confident player, imo.

*bump.*:)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Great job, AP. I'm glad you brought it back.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
One thing about Imjimmy's comment above got me thinking:

"Nadal is definitely not playing the best hard court tennis of his career. He is not as sharp as he was in UsOpen 2010."

I think this is interesting. To me, Nadal is absolutely playing the best hard court tennis of his career. Never in his entire career has he been so consistently great on hards, on a week-to-week basis. With that said, yes, I thought he played better at the 2010 US Open than he did at this year's US Open (including a comparison of the two finals with Djokovic). However, and this is what I wanted to comment on, the above statement makes it sound like your most recent match is the indicator of your form. Moreover, it makes it sound like 2 weeks are enough make a general statement. An entire form on a surface can't be determined by one tournament. Nadal's results on hard courts in 2010, as well as his general form on average, doesn't even come close to what he's done this year. He did however, have two brilliant weeks in New York that year. Meanwhile, this year, his form at the same tournament was close, albeit not quite as good IMO, but his form in all the other hard court tournaments (especially Cinci and Montreal, where he was amazing) was far better than his general form on hards in 2010. Imjimmy himself alluded to this when he discussed his Montreal and Cinci form, only to completely change his mind because of one performance against Gasquet. IMO, this isn't really fair, and leads to inaccuracies.

So yeah, Nadal is absolutely playing the best hard court tennis of his career this year, match in and match out, as evidenced by his form in each tournament he's played in, and his undefeated record, which isn't too shabby.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Also, regarding the comparison of Nadal's B team (Roig) and his A team (Toni), I'd stick with the one that helped him to winning 13 majors.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Useless piece of trivia:

Apparently, Nadal won his 40th career title at the French Open in 2010, his 50th at the French Open in 2012, and his 60th at the US Open this year.