2013 US Open Final: Nadal vs. Djokovic

Who ya got?

• Total voters

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Wonder how Soderling will fare against this poor under pressure Djokovic, depleted Murray and plain crap Fed

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Im anxious to see how much hes been practicing and well hell come back

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa is surely now in top five ever. He is like Connors, only bigger, stronger and less prone to error. So, hes something

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe someone will "Like" my post I wrote a few days ago, I think I was pretty Spot on"

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I have a number of comments:

1) My frustration watching the US Open final has been off-set to some degree by seeing Michael Vick's terrific play on Monday Night Football. I am definitively winning a bet about that with someone, so that is satisfying.

2) You have to give credit to Nadal for his physicality, stamina, mental persistence, and ball-striking. You can't keep the ball in the court that often without having a great feel for the ball. I compliment Nalbandian for ball-striking. He may be the best, but Nadal is an excellent ball-striker as well.

3) Djokovic is a better shotmaker than Nadal. He lost the match in 4 sets but still had double the winners.

4) Djokovic's tentative and lackluster first set was absolutely inexcusable, especially in light of what happened in Canada a couple weeks ago.

5) When Djokovic opened up his groundstrokes and got aggressive, he was making Nadal look like a junior player. He was hitting flat and had Nadal running all over the place.

6) Nadal's stamina and persistence are incredible. McEnroe was stupid to say that "Nadal was really up against it" early in the third set just because he fell behind a break. No McEnroe, Djokovic was the one who was still up against it - not because of tennis, but because of Nadal's incredible stamina and unique mental profile.

7) The way Nadal saved the break point at 0-2 in the third and then of course the break points at 0-40, 4-4 in the third illustrated what separates him: not tennis, but persistence, intensity, concentration, constancy, and consistency. This is the Kieran insight, and I agree with him.

8) The better tennis player lost. The more fit man, the bizarre specimen that is Nadal won.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Maybe someone will "Like" my post I wrote a few days ago, I think I was pretty Spot on"
I was also spot on because I said Rafa in 4.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
8) The better tennis player lost. The more fit man, the bizarre specimen that is Nadal won.

Arguably the better shotmaker lost, but the better tennis player won. Tennis Player = Sum of all parts.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
now only 4 majors behind the fedster

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooF.

EAT MY GOAL.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Wonder how Soderling will fare against this poor under pressure Djokovic, depleted Murray and plain crap Fed

After 2 years he has to worry about beating anyone right off the bat. It will likely be slow progress but I'm looking forward to him coming back too.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Rafa and all his fans. This is demonstration of incredible will
apart from various other things.

Special congratulations to Moxie who picked the Bull three times in a row
(Montreal, Cincy and USO) and coming out the victor each time. I am yet
to determine whether this is an unwavering fan who got lucky or a wise
fan who knows the ground reality. At any rate, hats off now.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think nole is the better shot maker.
I think its high time we revisit what better shotmaking is.

a better shot maker would not lose 22 times to nadal.

I said yesterday that nadal is simply better than nole and hopefully today world got to see that.

its the totality of his domination on all surfaces against ALL top 30 players. nole has that win over nadal on grass but nadal might fix that next year.

22 wins is not by accident. the man has serious shot making ability.

the problem you people have is as follows:

its his style of play. he plays high percentage tennis.

how many errors did nole have tonight? was it well over 50?

well you get the picture then. nadal foces them all to go and swing for the fences.

players really have no choice but to go for more. that means more winners for them and also a few more errors.

and the better player goes home with the hardware.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
7) The way Nadal saved the break point at 0-2 in the third and then of course the break points at 0-40, 4-4 in the third illustrated what separates him: not tennis, but persistence, intensity, concentration, constancy, and consistency. This is the Kieran insight, and I agree with him.

well that happens to be a bigger and more important aspect than anything else i can think of, players often beat players with slightly better game because of it. But isn't that the crux of it all?

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Clay Death said:
I don't think nole is the better shot maker.
I think its high time we revisit what better shotmaking is.

a better shot maker would not lose 22 times to nadal.

I said yesterday that nadal is simply better than nole and hopefully today world got to see that.

its the totality of his domination on all surfaces against ALL top 30 players. nole has that win over nadal on grass but nadal might fix that next year.

22 wins is not by accident. the man has serious shot making ability.

the problem you people have is as follows:

its his style of play. he plays high percentage tennis.

how many errors did nole have tonight? was it well over 50?

well you get the picture then. nadal foces them all to go and swing for the fences.

players really have no choice but to go for more. that means more winners for them and also a few more errors.

and the better player goes home with the hardware.

better shot maker is not decided on H-H, otherwise you'd have Santoro >>>> Safin.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
Well, I have a number of comments

3) Djokovic is a better shotmaker than Nadal. He lost the match in 4 sets but still had double the winners.

Djokovic had more winners and even more unforced errors also. Net difference is -7.
Nadal had less winners and even less unforced errors also. Net difference is +7.
So, the overall net difference is 14 in favor of Rafa.

Naturally, if you are going for more winners, you will also have more unforced
errors. Finally, winning the game is about having a good differential. In the
differential, as said above Rafa is way over Djokovic.