2013 US Open Final: Nadal vs. Djokovic

Who ya got?

• Total voters

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Huge congratulations to Rafa and his fans. Commiserations to Novak and his fans. Tennis is lucky to have these 2 at the top of the game.

If it couldn't be Andy then I'm glad it was Rafa. Andy will be getting it back next year.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
sean connery was in the stands tonight. I bet any money he cheered for the clay warrior.

I am sure so did andy and his mom. you just know that they would not miss such a historic occasion.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Maybe someone will "Like" my post I wrote a few days ago, I think I was pretty Spot on"

Give it a bump so we can "like" it. Or appreciate it, anyway. :)

N

NADAL2005RG

Today Nadal was only broken 3 times, and 4 times in total in the event. Only 4 breaks. That is the new US Open record. In 2010, Nadal tied the record (broken 5 times) with Roddick's 2003.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Today Nadal was only broken 3 times, and 4 times in total in the event. Only 4 breaks. That is the new US Open record. In 2010, Nadal tied the record (broken 5 times) with Roddick's 2003.

This is unbelievable. This makes it even for special for the Bull.

N

NADAL2005RG

Iona16 said:
Huge congratulations to Rafa and his fans. Commiserations to Novak and his fans. Tennis is lucky to have these 2 at the top of the game.

If it couldn't be Andy then I'm glad it was Rafa. Andy will be getting it back next year Rafa though.

Soon it will be Nadal and Murray at the top of the game. Murray looks mighty confident vs Djokovic at the slams (except for Australia, but that could change too).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think USTA might want to rethink the Bonus Challenge after losing
more than 2 million dollars this year. They coughed out a million extra to Serena
and a million extra to Bull (not to mention quarter million extra to Vika and other
sundry stuff).

N

NADAL2005RG

GameSetAndMath said:
NADAL2005RG said:

I literally only just realized it 5 minutes ago when I saw the match stats and breakpoint conversions. During the match I didn't think the record was doable when I saw Nadal getting broken. The tide really turned though late in the 3rd set, and BOOM no more breaks.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
GameSetAndMath said:
NADAL2005RG said:

I literally only just realized it 5 minutes ago when I saw the match stats and breakpoint conversions. During the match I didn't think the record was doable when I saw Nadal getting broken. The tide really turned though late in the 3rd set, and BOOM no more breaks.

That's stunning, if true. (And I'm sure you guys are right.) Yes, very special for Rafa, as he has struggled to improve his serve his whole career. ¡Bien hecho, campeon!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I think USTA might want to rethink the Bonus Challenge after losing
more than 2 million dollars this year. They coughed out a million extra to Serena
and a million extra to Bull (not to mention quarter million extra to Vika and other
sundry stuff).

If they're not willing to pay it, they shouldn't offer it. They win in PR.

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
NADAL2005RG said:
GameSetAndMath said:
NADAL2005RG said:

That's stunning, if true. (And I'm sure you guys are right.) Yes, very special for Rafa, as he has struggled to improve his serve his whole career. ¡Bien hecho, campeon!

Well - that has more to do with Nadal's ground game than his serve. In particular his first shot after getting a ROS.
Nadal's serve today was actually very ordinary. His percentage was lower than Novak and he also did NOT get big MPHs. I mean 105-115mph is not really great even by Rafa's standards.

Let's just put it this way: If Nadal had the UsOpen 2010 serve, he would have smoked Djokovic in straights today. He was winning so many cheap points on serve in 2010, where as today Djokovic was almost in all of Nadal's service games. Most games went to deuce in set 2 and set 3. While Djoko was holding his serve easily.

If you hold your serve easily, it's much easier to break your opponent. I think that's the next thing for Nadal. To improve the serve. He's served far better before in his career.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Well done Rafa! Congrats on your 13th Slam. :)

Hey, nehmeth. Sorry you weren't around for the chat. And sorry that Novak didn't have a better day. Nice of you to say that, though. :shy:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
Well done Rafa! Congrats on your 13th Slam. :)

Hey, nehmeth. Sorry you weren't around for the chat. And sorry that Novak didn't have a better day. Nice of you to say that, though. :shy:

Nehmeth and other Nole fans, let me mention one great thing about Nole as a person
and a true tennis player and lover. Over the last three or four years, I have seen Nole
openly appreciating opponent's good shots DURING THE MATCH. He did that several
times today also. The interesting thing is that he actually means it, as he does not
appreciate all kinds of shots that wins the points for opponents and only excellent
shots. So, this is not a robotic move like apologizing to the opponent over a net
cord winner.

I do not see Rafa, Fed or Murray making similar gestures about opponent's excellent
shots, especially during the match. This really raises my opinion of Nole as a
person and tennis lover.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW, if Rafa wins another AO, he would have double career grand slam
which nobody from ATP has. That will remove any doubt whatsoever as to
his being one dimensional non-versatile tennis player.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
many believe that Sampras was a single trick pony.

nadal does what he has to. he is required to kill so he kills. on all surfaces.

he has everything that Sampras had and more except for the serve.

Sampras would be nothing without his serve but nadal can win without such a serve.

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Congrates to Nadal.
Amazing Hard court season and the USO grand slam win , that too beating the #1 and best hard court player Djokovic.

Srini

Futures Player
Reactions
Novak seems to be collecting too many plates, feel sorry for him. He played 7 finals in the last 8 grandslams and won just two, that must be hard to digest. On one side it shows great consistency but it also shows he lacks something mentally, he otherwise has a game to beat Rafa & Andy.

Rafa really played well, deserves to get his #13 after such a fantastic run this season. Just realized its amazing Rafa is now #3 in most number of slams list.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nole is the greatest mover the sport has ever seen.

he could have mastered any number of sports.

beating him is not exactly easy.

he has the best return the world has ever known and he has deadly finishing power off both wings.

his backhand is the best I have ever seen.