Mubadala World Tennis Championship 2016-2017

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Well, our wait is over. The off-season ends tomorrow when this event kicks off. We are heading into january with this tournament. We will have a separate thread for Hopman cup when that starts. This is for MWTC. I have old memories of one Fedal final here in the 2010-2011. It was a good match. So, quick info:

Official website of MWTC

An image on this site has info on list of players, seedings, draw and timings of matches. Enjoy.!

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal fans, are you looking forward to today's match? Rafa should be able to handle the current Berdych if he plays his game well. Your say?

Sent from my Titanium Octane using Tapatalk

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tsonga plays now David Goffin

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal looked in scary form. He is moving well, hitting well and showing good stamina. Great signs for him. I am pleasantly surprised. Spices up not only this tournament but also the upcoming season.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
shivashish said:
Onto the next match. Berdych has deteriorated but it will still require some doing from Nadal to get through this match.

We keep giving credit to the "stick-to it-ness" of Berdych, but that's been his whole problem! After all these years and working so hard, he still stinks trying to beat the elites! He's maybe upset Fedalic once when it meant something; Olympic semi, AO, Wimbledon, or Masters! He, along with his contemporaries who had "so much game," were unable to harness and use it to their benefit! They will be forgotten after they retire! Add Tomas' name to the others on the list of wasted talent: Ferrer, Gasquet, Nalbandian, Monfils, Tsonga, and so many more! They so underachieved, they lacked mental fortitude to make multiple finals! Even Cilic and Wawrinka waited until their hair had turned gray before realizing their potential! It's been very frustrating to see this happen every short tennis generation; a great talent never realized! Today the honor falls on players like Baby Fed; my thinking he would be great! Grigor blew it! Even though it didn't happen to me, I can still see him blowing a match against Murray a few years ago! I have to look it up, but IIRC, it was prob. Cinci with him up a set and a break or 2 in sets 2 & 3, but couldn't close it out! He was full of style, going down to defeat with multiple MP's in his pocket; all wasted! I was done! :nono :angel: :cover :rolleyes: :cry

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
shivashish said:
Onto the next match. Berdych has deteriorated but it will still require some doing from Nadal to get through this match.

We keep giving credit to the "stick-to it-ness" of Berdych, but that's been his whole problem! After all these years and working so hard, he still stinks trying to beat the elites! He's maybe upset Fedalic once when it meant something; Olympic semi, AO, Wimbledon, or Masters! He, along with his contemporaries who had "so much game," were unable to harness and use it to their benefit! They will be forgotten after they retire! Add Tomas' name to the others on the list of wasted talent: Ferrer, Gasquet, Nalbandian, Monfils, Tsonga, and so many more! They so underachieved, they lacked mental fortitude to make multiple finals! Even Cilic and Wawrinka waited until their hair had turned gray before realizing their potential! It's been very frustrating to see this happen every short tennis generation; a great talent never realized! Today the honor falls on players like Baby Fed; my thinking he would be great! Grigor blew it! Even though it didn't happen to me, I can still see him blowing a match against Murray a few years ago! I have to look it up, but IIRC, it was prob. Cinci with him up a set and a break or 2 in sets 2 & 3, but couldn't close it out! He was full of style, going down to defeat with multiple MP's in his pocket; all wasted! I was done! :nono :angel: :cover :rolleyes: :cry

I for one, still have a lot of hope in Grigor. I won't ever let it go, I just can't. His problems have largely been mental. But now that the media pressure is off of him, it will be interesting to see when will he reach the top 10, if he ever does. He was on the right track these last few months but he needs a strong showing at the AO for example, so that he can kick things off. I just don't get why he chokes so much in 95% of his matches, can a coach even fix this at all? Someone like Magnus Norman, who made a mental giant out of a very talented serial choker. Whatever approach he had, Grigor needs it badly as well. When The Man shows, up he really shows up, and can sustain a very high level for more or less 2 sets. This is the key.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
even if it's only an exh, Manacor's bull seems in top form

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Goffin just defeated world number 1 in straight sets. Very nice!

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Murray out. Not a very surprising result when opening against Goffin. Goffin had played a match yesterday. The more aggressive player won.

A word for Goffin. This lad is in some good form. Great signs for him for the oz open. It will be one of the most heavily contested slam after some time.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
shivashish said:

You and me both, brother. We lived through more than this. Watching Federer roll punchdrunk slobs wasn't my idea of dramatic viewing. Safin, Baggy, Gonzo and Fozzy bloody Bear. Nalbandian? Pfft. It's really even more irritating when a guy has great talent, but no trousers. Like Nalbandian, Tsonga, Monfils, and the whole of French tennis, if memory serves. Grigor has a pretty smile, so I'm told. Women can see why he pulls. He's handsome. His game is pretty too. Pretty as pink lace. And about as flimsy... :nono