Young Guns Watch: 2017

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Did you watch this particular match, GSM? His forehand is getting better. He fired some winners that he would not even be able to dream about a year ago. Not WMD yet, but if he keeps improving at this pace he could become a serious threat.

Yes, I did watch considerable parts of it. BC seems to have bulked up a bit. His legs seems sturdier than before. There is more weight on his shot now compared to before. More than anything else, he had tremendous focus in that match.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Taylor Fritz seems over his marriage/early fatherhood caused distractions. Following the USO, where he scored his first win in a slam he rejoined the top 100 and this week he has a good showing in Chengdu.
Now there are 4 teenagers in the top 100:

37 ranked Rublev
51 Shapovalov
73 Tiafoe
94 Fritz

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't remember if we have a specific Race to Milan thread, but anyone wonder if Sasha Zverev will skip the Milan event to focus on YEC? Frances Tiafoe is currently sitting at #9 to make it in and I'd love to see him go.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I can't remember if we have a specific Race to Milan thread, but anyone wonder if Sasha Zverev will skip the Milan event to focus on YEC? Frances Tiafoe is currently sitting at #9 to make it in and I'd love to see him go.

I don't think we have a thread for it... anyway I have bad news for you. Only the first seven qualify automatically for Milan -- the last place is reserved to an Italian, they will hold a qualifying tournament to select the player.

About Zverev, for a long time I was sure he would compete, not because he would be dying to do so, but because I was sure the ATP would ask/beg/demand/force/implore/whatever him to do so. After all, they invested a lot in this idea and Zverev is surely the most valuable asset of the tournament. Having said this, it seems that people bought the idea, some other names are catching some attention, specially Shapovalov, so he might pull out with no problems, even if I still think he will play. Pulling out will give too much of a second rate impression to the whole thing.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wouldn't Sascha love to win both? My guess is that the chances for that to happen won't come around too often. Maybe Shapovalov in 2019? (Don't see him reaching top 8 next year).

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

You think he's gotten that good? The experience would be valuable as long as he's not crushed; mere fodder for his group to beat up on ending his year 0-3! Even his betters has had to overcome that humiliation; Nadal at the top of the list in '09! That was one horrible season for him; Soderling ended his FO run, his parents broke up, he was seriously injured (of course he had to be if he lost), annihilated at the USO by Del Po 2, 2, & 2 in the semi's, then abused in straights in his group at the YEC! But I digress; had no idea Tiafoe was even that close to qualifying with so many other players making a name for themselves! I guess I need to check outside the top 2! It's hard since so many players are out of the game injured and to measure the "also-rans" with the tour devastated like this! :facepalm: :rolleyes: o_O

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You think he's gotten that good? The experience would be valuable as long as he's not crushed; mere fodder for his group to beat up on ending his year 0-3! Even his betters has had to overcome that humiliation; Nadal at the top of the list in '09! That was one horrible season for him; Soderling ended his FO run, his parents broke up, he was seriously injured (of course he had to be if he lost), annihilated at the USO by Del Po 2, 2, & 2 in the semi's, then abused in straights in his group at the YEC! But I digress; had no idea Tiafoe was even that close to qualifying with so many other players making a name for themselves! I guess I need to check outside the top 2! It's hard since so many players are out of the game injured and to measure the "also-rans" with the tour devastated like this! :facepalm: :rolleyes: o_O
Indeed you do digress! Tiafoe has had some great opportunities of late, including Laver Cup, and I do think he's good.

Reactions: Fiero425

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
More bad news for all guys chasing the final spots in the race to Milan... just found out that this week is the last one to accumulate points (it is probably written somewhere from the start but at least I wasn't aware off, I guess most folks here neither).

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That
More bad news for all guys chasing the final spots in the race to Milan... just found out that this week is the last one to accumulate points (it is probably written somewhere from the start but at least I wasn't aware off, I guess most folks here neither).
Makes sense. The event starts on Nov. 7, they have to rest the week before.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think we have a thread for it... anyway I have bad news for you. Only the first seven qualify automatically for Milan -- the last place is reserved to an Italian, they will hold a qualifying tournament to select the player.

About Zverev, for a long time I was sure he would compete, not because he would be dying to do so, but because I was sure the ATP would ask/beg/demand/force/implore/whatever him to do so. After all, they invested a lot in this idea and Zverev is surely the most valuable asset of the tournament. Having said this, it seems that people bought the idea, some other names are catching some attention, specially Shapovalov, so he might pull out with no problems, even if I still think he will play. Pulling out will give too much of a second rate impression to the whole thing.

I don't think it's really in his interests to compete if he's playing the YEC... but he might throw the ATP a bone under duress and turn up.