Young Guns Watch: 2015 Edition

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
federberg said:
^ perhaps a bit harsh. In many ways Coric has a simpler game, so perhaps it's easier for him to develop. I could easily see Dimi take another step up again. What I'm trying to say is players take different paths. Roger's path was more step function, while Novak - for example - was steadier and inevitable

Good points, but what was a bit harsh? I said that I think he will still win a Slam or two--which is pretty darn good--but that I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes another Nalbandian. Nalbandian was disappointing, but still quite good.

Even Nalbandian had done a good bit more by Dimi's age. He might get a slam or two, but I would put more money on Raonic and Kei at this point. They seem more interested and hungry, even if he is the most talented.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
federberg said:
^ perhaps a bit harsh. In many ways Coric has a simpler game, so perhaps it's easier for him to develop. I could easily see Dimi take another step up again. What I'm trying to say is players take different paths. Roger's path was more step function, while Novak - for example - was steadier and inevitable

Good points, but what was a bit harsh? I said that I think he will still win a Slam or two--which is pretty darn good--but that I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes another Nalbandian. Nalbandian was disappointing, but still quite good.

I'm not sure it's appropriate to demote him to second tier status. Yes he might end up achieving things later than some in the past, but we've all noticed how players seem to mature later now. That's what makes Coric a potential phenom already.

In old years this feels more like a 16 year old taking out slam winners. Perhaps what Coric is doing now is as impressive as some of Rafa's earliest achievements. Perhaps... don't people go crazy.. just throwing it out there!

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
OK, fair enough. I actually think that adding two years compared to, say, the 80s is appropriate. That said, the 80s were particularly young with players like Wilander, Becker, and Chang winning Slams as teenagers. The game was a bit older in the 70s and before, so perhaps after the "young years" of the 80s and 90s what we're seeing is simply a reversion to historical norms, if in a different way.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
IMO regarding Grigor, is not that he develops a little later the issue. The problem is his game at this moment.
If he does not change something, he will stay where he is, hovering around 10-12 spots.
I watched him a few times as of late. His game has almost no weapons, works hard for every point and his basic strategy to let his opponent dictate points leads to tight grueling encounters.
Yesterday, if you looked at the match, he looked like a very mediocre player, manufacturing UE left and right, he could not adjust to the windy conditions, while buffed up Harrison could.
Bagelled by someone ranked 169 for someone considered a great talent is embarrassing to say the least.
And here on this forum, some posters were predicting he will rule tennis once the Big 4 age? Yeah, right:lolz:

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I have yet to see coric, but I feel that way too early people are named the next big thing. Can't see it in those two Greek Australians, definitely don't see it in dimitrov. There are a couple of others that get named too.

I think coric is composed enough to make it, more so than the others maybe. But I'm happy with my favorites maintaining their reign for the foreseeable future.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
I have yet to see coric, but I feel that way too early people are named the next big thing. Can't see it in those two Greek Australians, definitely don't see it in dimitrov. There are a couple of others that get named too.

I think coric is composed enough to make it, more so than the others maybe. But I'm happy with my favorites maintaining their reign for the foreseeable future.

So do I, the later these so called future elites get great results, the better for Nole;)

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Denisovich said:

So do I, the later these so called future elites get great results, the better for Nole;)

Novak has been unlucky to come right after Nadal and federer, but at least it looks like the road will be more clear during the latter stage of his career. He might get some slams the way Federer did back in the early 2000s.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Andy played poorly today, but Coric is, for me, the most exciting young player to come along since Nole and Andy.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
A nice piece by Tignor: http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/02/borna-scrutiny/54192/

If anything I'm more high on Borna after reading it. It is that intensity that will keep him from going the "Tomic route," and may be the edge he has over Kyrgios (who I think will also be at least a top 10 player).

Obsi

Masters Champion
Reactions
What sort of career do you predict for Coric?

A. Top 50 player
B. Top 10 player
C. Multislam winner and No. 1
D. All-time great

I'd say B.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Obsi said:

A. Top 50 player
B. Top 10 player
D. All-time great

I'd say C.

Yeah, I agree. I think Kyrgios has a chance, too. I thought Dimitrov would get there but the window is closing. Raonic and Nishikori look more like top 10; I think Thiem and Vesely will get there as well.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
Obsi said:

A. Top 50 player
B. Top 10 player
D. All-time great

I'd say C.

Yeah, I agree. I think Kyrgios has a chance, too. I thought Dimitrov would get there but the window is closing. Raonic and Nishikori look more like top 10; I think Thiem and Vesely will get there as well.

The only thing I worry with Kyrgios he tends to pick up injuries,even when he was playing juniors,at present he has a problem with his back and had to withdraw from 2 tournaments.Though I see he has been picked for DC for Australia.

Obsi

Masters Champion
Reactions
Ops, I've made a mistake. It's B not C. In tennis history majority of players who at age 18 showed similar potential like Coric, have never become No. 1 and multislam winners, so the odds are that Borna will not have such career.

Let's not get carried away.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
El Dude said:
Obsi said:

A. Top 50 player
B. Top 10 player
D. All-time great

I'd say C.

The only thing I worry with Kyrgios he tends to pick up injuries,even when he was playing juniors,at present he has a problem with his back and had to withdraw from 2 tournaments.Though I see he has been picked for DC for Australia.

That is my opinion too. I do not like to see repeated injuries when teenagers.

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Coric looked good in Dubai and his match against Roger. The scoreline didn't do justice to the match, he has the type of game that will bother people I think and he has a sort of relentlessness that reminds me of a young Nadal.

I think he'll be a very good player.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
El Dude said:
Obsi said:

A. Top 50 player
B. Top 10 player
D. All-time great

I'd say C.

He has bailed out of DC:
http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2015/02/26/kyrgios-out-of-davis-cup

And this is bothersome. You may count on your fingers how many matches he has played in the last 6 months.

Obsi

Masters Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
^^the odds are you are gonna be 100% wrong daddio.

In tennis history majority of players who at age 18 showed similar potential like Coric, have never become No. 1 and multislam winners. How, then, the odds are that Coric will have such career?

Obsi

Masters Champion
Reactions
Haelfix said:
I think he'll be a very good player.

Berdych is a very good player. If you predict that Coric will have career like Thomas then I agree.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
fashionista said:
El Dude said:

He has bailed out of DC:
http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2015/02/26/kyrgios-out-of-davis-cup

And this is bothersome. You may count on your fingers how many matches he has played in the last 6 months.

I read a further article from Chris Dutton,a sports reporter from the Canberra Times,who stated that Nick's actual problem-is a bone stress problem which could develop into stress fractures if Kyrgios' body is pushed to the limit.He also stated that his short career has been halted by injuries while his body adjusts to the professional circuit.