Young Babe Watch

Who will make the most noise?

• Total voters

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
RE: Young Babe Watch (2013)

Must admit I'd never heard of Bouchard before today but I liked some of the angles she used v. Ivanovic...she still needs to do some work on her 1st serves, they were a little wild sometimes. I voted for her but would have also liked to vote for Puig, it's great to see some new blood.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions

I still think Sloane has the biggest upside if she can keep it together. She needs to build herself up to play at smaller events the way she plays at slams. She seems to up her level for slams. Truth is to become a solid member of the top 20 she needs to win some 250s. We all know that nobody who surprisingly makes it to the SFs one year has a safe ranking the next. Chances are that will be hard for her to repeat.

I like Madison Keys' chances but I think she needs another year before she becomes a solid threat.

Puig seems to be having a breakthrough year. I will be looking at her to see how far she can take this.
Would we still consider Hampton a young babe? She's 23 ;).

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I like Madison Keys a lot,she comes off as a well brought up young woman and very media savvy even at 14yrs I remember her being asked about the sisters and she refused to bite...during Wimbledon they tried to make her diss the sisters and she was smart enough to divert attention...very smart young woman because when Serena and Venus retire she will get all their fans.Serena was really gushing about this gal and seems to like her...I think Serena never liked Sloane to begin with.
Go Townsend and Keys!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Hampton is 23 ??..if not a 'young babe'.....

maybe she is a 'sprightly cougar' then ??

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
Hampton is 23 ??..if not a 'young babe'.....

maybe she is a 'sprightly cougar' then ??
middle aged unfortunately...

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions

I know a lot of people dislike Sloane but I think she's getting some seriously unfair coverage. Yes she had a SERIOUS dip in level after the AO but she managed to recover in time for RG and Wimbledon. Tennis.com literally had a headline today that read:
Keys Impresses in Loss, Sloane lucky to win.

Now that is some REALLY bias reporting. Saying Sloane is lucky to win is a severe understatement. The entire measure of a champion is how well can you deal with adversity? Serena can come from WAY down in a match to take it all. Maria can lose a first set by insane margins and come back. Vika began her first grand slam final (at the AO) by almost losing the first set and then won it all. So yes some of Sloane's wins are pretty ugly, but that is what makes me think she has a huge upside--she still manages to win.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

sk310 said:
I know a lot of people dislike Sloane but I think she's getting some seriously unfair coverage. Yes she had a SERIOUS dip in level after the AO but she managed to recover in time for RG and Wimbledon. Tennis.com literally had a headline today that read:

Now that is some REALLY bias reporting. Saying Sloane is lucky to win is a severe understatement. The entire measure of a champion is how well can you deal with adversity? Serena can come from WAY down in a match to take it all. Maria can lose a first set by insane margins and come back. Vika began her first grand slam final (at the AO) by almost losing the first set and then won it all. So yes some of Sloane's wins are pretty ugly, but that is what makes me think she has a huge upside--she still manages to win.
Madison was playing her first Wimbledon and has already done very well and with experience she will be taking down names.Sloane comes off negative and boring in her interviews and even her matches are boring.I think she is more of a defensive player and has negative body language when things dont go her way.
Madison comes off as more likable and her game is more exciting to watch...and more media savvy....cant stand Sloane with her self absorbed ways especially after comparing herself to Miley Cyrus...

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions

tossip said:
sk310 said:

Madison was playing her first Wimbledon and has already done very well and with experience she will be taking down names.Sloane comes off negative and boring in her interviews and even her matches are boring.I think she is more of a defensive player and has negative body language when things dont go her way.
Madison comes off as more likable and her game is more exciting to watch...and more media savvy....cant stand Sloane with her self absorbed ways especially after comparing herself to Miley Cyrus...

Seriously? Just be up front and stop trying to pin other things on her. Just say what you mean: I don't like Sloane because she has taken on Serena.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

golds girl said:
Must admit I'd never heard of Bouchard before today but I liked some of the angles she used v. Ivanovic...she still needs to do some work on her 1st serves, they were a little wild sometimes. I voted for her but would have also liked to vote for Puig, it's great to see some new blood.

You can vote for mulitple players in this poll.

sk310 said:
I still think Sloane has the biggest upside if she can keep it together. She needs to build herself up to play at smaller events the way she plays at slams. She seems to up her level for slams. Truth is to become a solid member of the top 20 she needs to win some 250s. We all know that nobody who surprisingly makes it to the SFs one year has a safe ranking the next. Chances are that will be hard for her to repeat.

I like Madison Keys' chances but I think she needs another year before she becomes a solid threat.

Puig seems to be having a breakthrough year. I will be looking at her to see how far she can take this.
Would we still consider Hampton a young babe? She's 23 ;).

Probably not at 23. I'll remove her from the poll and replace w/ someone else.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Laura Robsons lateral movement is too often poor..STILL..

Maybe she will always be a bit of a lumbering camel :s,

but at 19 plenty of time to improve a bit though, I think.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

Sloane is the last young babe standing in QF of Wimby. Currently doing battle w/ Bartoli. Let's see how she fares today, but so far she has made the most noise getting to the SF of AO, R16 at RG and now QF of Wimby.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

sk310 said:
tossip said:
sk310 said:

Seriously? Just be up front and stop trying to pin other things on her. Just say what you mean: I don't like Sloane because she has taken on Serena.
never liked Sloane even before 2013...she used to bore me with her passive game..never warmed to her.I was put off by her comments after she lost to Ivanovic at the USA Open surprised mewith her bitter comments about Ivanovic and just confirmed why Inever liked her.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

doesnt anyone know what Coco s ranking will be after Stanford...hehehe right now she has around 260 points and ranked around that number..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

tossip said:
sk310 said:
tossip said:
sk310 said:

never liked Sloane even before 2013...she used to bore me with her passive game..never warmed to her.I was put off by her comments after she lost to Ivanovic at the USA Open surprised mewith her bitter comments about Ivanovic and just confirmed why Inever liked her.

Agreed, I don't feel anything for Sloane and I don't like her attitude. The tour will figure her out just like they did Melanie Oudin, IMO.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
tossip said:
sk310 said:
tossip said:
sk310 said:

Agreed, I don't feel anything for Sloane and I don't like her attitude. The tour will figure her out just like they did Melanie Oudin, IMO.
:clap..do you know that Coco probably be ranked in the 400s after Stanford if she fails to defend her points...:laydownlaughing

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

vICTORIA dUVAL HAS a lot of potential..maybe better than Sloane and Madison.She is a very promising youngster..

C

Chelsia16

Of the "young guns", I have been partial to Madison Keys and Garbine Muguruza; I hope both develop that killer instinct on court.

I guess, we will have to wait and see!

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

Taylor Townsend and Madison Keys are two that I follow. I also like Putinseva and her feisty attitude.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I think Sloane is one to watch but if she doesn't win a tournament within the next 6 months I might add a question mark for now. Victories over Serena and Maria are nice, but no one cares really until you start winning tournaments. Good job for now Sloane just don't back track.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jhar26 Pro Tennis (Womens) 17