Young Babe Watch

Who will make the most noise?

• Total voters

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
RE: Young Babe Watch (2013)

Sundaymorningguy said:
I think Sloane is one to watch but if she doesn't win a tournament within the next 6 months I might add a question mark for now. Victories over Serena and Maria are nice, but no one cares really until you start winning tournaments. Good job for now Sloane just don't back track.

I agree. She really needs to start winning 250s at very least. She has to find a way to motivate herself for smaller tournaments. I think winning smaller tournaments is the stepping stone to winning a grand slam. You can make QFs and SFs of grand slams but to believe you can win the whole thing I think it's good for a player to rack up titles at smaller tournaments.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

kskate2 said:
We'll track all their accomplishments for the year in this thread and in December we can see who made the most noise. Please add any player to the list you deem necessary.

Please clarify. Should I take your question literally or figuratively?:p

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions

SingleBackhand said:
Camila Giorgi!!!

camila_giorgi4.jpg
-
tumblr_mb4g2ytgo61r7dlg4o1_500.jpg

Camilla is the #26 seeded qualifier in US Open, made it into the main draw and now has 6 wins to her name, she is into the 4th round of US Open 2013.

201308312121769132486-p2@stats.com.jpg

Better late than never.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I didn't know Bernard tomic had a tennis sister..but looking at the scores in the usa open website doulbles there was a sarah tomic..

she is 15yrs (b feb 5th 1998)..still probably more mature than her soon to be 21yr old brother. :devil

is she a potential top 20 player..or is it too early..the wimmins side of tennis has lots of players either in the top 100 who could be top players or not too far off (t townsend ??)

she should play doulbes with lisa Raymond just turned 40yrs, she could tell her what life was like in the olden days of the 1990s :D..y'know..before the twitter machine and the interwebz n stuff.

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
I think I am more intrigued by Konjuh than by any of the players listed in the poll. Ranked 52 at 18 yrs 8 months, but more importantly has the big offense that could take her high in the rankings. She did freeze up like hell against Pliskova in the QF, but her nerves will get better as she gets into more situations like that.

In other developing player news, Cici Bellis has turned pro. I think that is for sure the right choice for her- she will develop much more as a player on the pro tour. (And also make that ca$h money, of course).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
delPoFearhand said:
I think I am more intrigued by Konjuh than by any of the players listed in the poll. Ranked 52 at 18 yrs 8 months, but more importantly has the big offense that could take her high in the rankings. She did freeze up like hell against Pliskova in the QF, but her nerves will get better as she gets into more situations like that.

In other developing player news, Cici Bellis has turned pro. I think that is for sure the right choice for her- she will develop much more as a player on the pro tour. (And also make that ca$h money, of course).

It was really sad when she rolled her ankle against when in a winning position against Aga at wimby.

So, CiCi said no to Stanford? Surely, development will be faster in the pro circuit. If she clicks, the decision is good and on the other hand, if she does not it will be bad decision (I know it sounds like a tautology, but you know what I mean). In other words, if she really has what it takes to be one of the elite players right thing to do is to go pro now and otherwise, the right thing to do is to go to Stanford. These kinds of decisions need to be made with gut feeling and not by rational thinking.

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
delPoFearhand said:

It was really sad when she rolled her ankle against when in a winning position against Aga at wimby.

So, CiCi said no to Stanford? Surely, development will be faster in the pro circuit. If she clicks, the decision is good and on the other hand, if she does not it will be bad decision (I know it sounds like a tautology, but you know what I mean). In other words, if she really has what it takes to be one of the elite players right thing to do is to go pro now and otherwise, the right thing to do is to go to Stanford. These kinds of decisions need to be made with gut feeling and not by rational thinking.

I think it is the right call- she is already backing up her decision at the International level event in Quebec City, where she is in the QF against Julia Boserup, which is a very winnable match. Even if she loses, she picks up 60 free ranking points- if she can put together a good fall tour where she is defending virtually no points, she could possible make automatic entry to the AO main draw, which would be a big step.

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
Congrats to Oceane Dodin for winning the International level WTA event in Quebec City this past weekend- one that seems to be constructed for Genie to win, but that didn't work out this year. She is now ranke d#93 as a 19-year-old (for the next month, at least)- a player to keep your eye on in the next couple years.

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
Naomi Osaka sets herself up for a SF match in Tokyo against Svitolina, a Premier 12 event (470 ranking points to the winner). After the drubbing she gave Cibulkova, I think she makes it to the final, but I don't know how much I like her against a high level retriever like Radwa or Woz- I think they could frustrate her and get her to start making errors.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I have not seen Osaka much. If she doesn't come to net, it will be tough to beat the good defenders. She should work on her net game to put away floaters.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Naomi Osaka is the real deal..she has a Serena vibe to her with those strong legs.She is still very young mentally but as she wins more and more she will get stronger.
I like Ana Konjuh too...very solid serve..Bencic has faded with all the injuries..she needs to lose weight and work on her mdsection.
Keys is a ballbasher with low self esteem...Scone is wasting her talent.
Townsend is also sitting on massive talent..

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
Cici Bellis (17 yo) just won the inaugural WTA $125k tournament in Hawaii, part of what is basically the WTA's new challenger level tournament series (previously the ITF handled this level). The win puts her up to 75 in the world, which will obviously help out tremendously in getting automatic entry to tournaments. Hopefully she can make a splash at the AO.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Interesting to look at the original poll of players in 2013. Only one went on to win a slam (Mugu). Outside of Pliskova getting to USO final and Puig winning the gold medal. The rest really haven't done anything over the 3 year period.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
Naomi Osaka is the real deal..she has a Serena vibe to her with those strong legs.She is still very young mentally but as she wins more and more she will get stronger.
I like Ana Konjuh too...very solid serve..Bencic has faded with all the injuries..she needs to lose weight and work on her mdsection.
Keys is a ballbasher with low self esteem...Scone is wasting her talent.
Townsend is also sitting on massive talent..

Scone is wasting her talent.

Is Kamau Murray still coaching Sloane?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jhar26 Pro Tennis (Womens) 17