27 Lesia Tsurenko
28 Carla Suarez Navarro
29 Maria Sakkari
30 Mihaela Buzarnescu
31 Petra Martic
32 Aliaksandra Sasnovich

eSyaK1N.jpg

The Tournament:

A French national tournament has been held since 1891. For some time it was open only to French citizens, or members of French clubs. In 1925, it was opened to international amateurs, and in 1968 it was the first Grand Slam event to go "open," allowing amateurs and professionals to compete. It has always been played on clay.

h52OkCG.jpg

About the City:

Paris is one of the most charismatic and romantic cities in the world. It is an art mecca, a gastronomic destination, a film capital and the crossroads of Europe. It is the City of Light, softly beautiful in its gardens, monuments and boulevards, and hard-edged, in its blue-collar neighborhoods, its banlieue. Go to the top of the hill at Sacre Coeur at sunset and watch the lights come up.

gv68FN5.jpg

Tourism Guide:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I like Kiki Bertens draw she is in the lower side of the draw,top draw is loaded.
I will studied it further as I have to go to work now.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like Kiki Bertens draw she is in the lower side of the draw,top draw is loaded.
I will studied it further as I have to go to work now.
Plus Bertens is trending. Do you like her for the title, Margaret?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Plus Bertens is trending. Do you like her for the title, Margaret?

If the projected seeds make the quarters......Bertens to play Stephens,if Bertens win this match up I feel she could win the title.I usually do not take much notice of the winner in Madrid,as it is high altitude and quite frankly a h/court with clay over the top:) Pliskova won Rome and has Martinez as her coach,also she made the s/finals from memory in 2017 at RG.Pliskova is projected to play Kerber in the quarters,though Kerber has missed both Madrid and Rome due to a twisted ankle,also she just needs to win RG to win all 4 majors,though it has not been her best surface.Serena could meet Osaka early,though I feel she has not had enough play on clay this year.

Bertens who was ready to retire,has found her belief I feel,she has the game for clay,I picked her as my Dark Horse a few weeks ago,if not,I feel Halep could win back to back titles as she knows how to grind on the clay at RG.

The young Canadian player Bianca who cites clay as her favorite surface has not played since she had to pull out of Miami with a small tear in her shoulder.Bianca's game translates well for clay,though I feel she needed to play some clay tournaments.Bianca has youth on her side.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If the projected seeds make the quarters......Bertens to play Stephens,if Bertens win this match up I feel she could win the title.I usually do not take much notice of the winner in Madrid,as it is high altitude and quite frankly a h/court with clay over the top:) Pliskova won Rome and has Martinez as her coach,also she made the s/finals from memory in 2017 at RG.Pliskova is projected to play Kerber in the quarters,though Kerber has missed both Madrid and Rome due to a twisted ankle,also she just needs to win RG to win all 4 majors,though it has not been her best surface.Serena could meet Osaka early,though I feel she has not had enough play on clay this year.

Bertens who was ready to retire,has found her belief I feel,she has the game for clay,I picked her as my Dark Horse a few weeks ago,if not,I feel Halep could win back to back titles as she knows how to grind on the clay at RG.

The young Canadian player Bianca who cites clay as her favorite surface has not played since she had to pull out of Miami with a small tear in her shoulder.Bianca's game translates well for clay,though I feel she needed to play some clay tournaments.Bianca has youth on her side.
Such a great recap, Margaret. I like Halep's chances, as well as Berten's. I picked Osaka to go out early. No one ever knows what to do with Serena. I heard a clever remark today: no one uses a shorter landing strip than Serena to get ready for a Major. That said, I don't think this is her year. I have the youngsters Sakkari and Bianca going deep.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Such a great recap, Margaret. I like Halep's chances, as well as Berten's. I picked Osaka to go out early. No one ever knows what to do with Serena. I heard a clever remark today: no one uses a shorter landing strip than Serena to get ready for a Major. That said, I don't think this is her year. I have the youngsters Sakkari and Bianca going deep.

Thanks Moxie:) This is my favorite time of the year,being brought up on clay and have attended most of the European clay tournaments.Serena was cited practicing with a 'knee brace' also I do not know if you saw the photo of her in a wheelchair at Disneyland in Paris with Alexis on her knee.Playing on the clay you put soo much weight on your knees,quite frankly I think Serena after withdrawing after one match in Rome should have skipped RG this year, get herself ready for the grass season.

If Elina Svitolina,a former junior RG champion,had not had knee issues leading up to Roland Grass,I would have considered as a 'dark horse' at RG this year.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
So. Here we go. The year's second slam.
Top players with possible injuries....
Osaka, Serena, Muguruza, Wozniacki (? always sort of an injury risk now? maybe), Svitolina, Kerber, Barty, Andreescu.

My favorites for the title, in no particular order....
Bertens, Halep, Stephens, Pliskova, Kvitova, Serena. I worry that's not creative enough, because this is the French. But with injuries possibly a big factor this time around and it's basically impossible to pick the surprise out of nowhere champion (a la Ostapenko in 2017), these are my favorites.

Dark horses (real dark horses, like not likely to win it but could go deep)
Kontaveit, Putintseva, Vondrousova, Kasatkina, Ostapenko, Vika, Garcia, Sakkari, Yastremska.

Bertens looked fantastic in Madrid and Rome and is definitely a favorite to take the title. I'm definitely pulling for Sloane and I don't hate her draw. It's not bad at all. ESPECIALLY if Muguruza AND Svitolina aren't fit enough to contend, there's basically no one until the quarters. Unless Venus gets inspired. And she still wouldn't be a favorite. Of course, if Svitolina is finally healthy, she should definitely be rested having played no matches this clay season. Just hard to pick her at all with little match play the last month. And if Muguruza is healthy, well... it seems like a long time ago now but I'm pretty sure the dominating, basically can't be stopped Muguruza is still in there somewhere. Kozlova is a young gun with nothing to lose. She could be the beneficiary of Venus v Svitolina. Or Pera could take her place. She has had a good couple weeks apparently. Still, Stephens looks to be the most likely candidate to come out of this eighth, though of course... she can lose to anyone if she doesn't show up that day. That is and will always be an issue with her. Stephens has never played Doi. So I'm already on edge.
Should she meet Bertens again, it's not like she can't beat Bertens on clay. She has for one. 6 years ago. She's a RG finalist, a grand slam champion. Bertens has always struggled with nerves. Bertens could be tired by the second week. And Sloane beat Bertens at the YEC last year on her way to the final. Right now, one of my favorite things is to see Sloane really slow down and think and dig in and fight with herself to stay focused and to just keep playing one more point. And when she's in that mood, she's not unbeaten, but she's REAL dangerous. I think it's entirely possible that a quarterfinal between those two decides the champion.I felt like Sloane was just finding her way into the match when Bertens won it in Madrid.
BUT, Halep ain't dead. Made a final. Played Kiki tough. Handed Kuzmova a double bagel. After handing Gasparyan a bagel in the first round. Beat Bencic in three. Won both of her Fed Cup matches on clay to Garcia and Mladenovic (who, by the way, could benefit if Pliskova falters. But probably just peaked briefly in Madrid and is back to her losing ways. I only mention her because she's French and that's always a thing.) She's still possibly the most consistent player on tour. We'll see how she deals with defending her first slam title. I honestly feel like Halep can't win simply because we haven't seen anyone not named Serena defend a slam title in a long time. Her second loss to Vondrousova of course makes ya wonder though.
I don't want to get too high on Bertens. I feel like she had a culmination of her entire career this clay season. But she's still beatable. Still hasn't taken a slam yet. Still has to work through that. But I also don't totally wanna do that because she was REALLY impressive in Madrid and Rome. She fully deserves all the pre-RG talk she's getting. But I'm still not sure we're done having surprise RG finalists and titlists. If it's gonna happen, it always feels like it's gonna happen here more than anywhere else. But also, technically it'd be Bertens first final. So, not a surprise, but still a new top woman on the scene, even if she was already there. But I don't wanna say it's wide open because I don't feel like it is.

For me, I don't really do semifinal or final picks. I basically look at who I think the main quarterfinalists will be because I feel like on the women's tour, anything can happen in just about any one match. So it could be that Halep, Bertens, Stephens, Pliskova and Kvitova all make the quarters. But none of them make the final. Unlikely. But possible. Mostly because Bertens and Stephens would have to play each other and Halep and Kvitova would have to play each other. But, you get the point.

I guess the main takeaways are... yes Osaka's quarter is really that open. Serena could take advantage. It's like the perfect kind of draw for her to play herself into. But we really don't know about her right now. Is she healthy or nah? So anyone could take advantage. Garcia should be confident. Vika has inner confidence. Sakkari is slowly but surely building. Ostapenko... almost certainly won't suddenly find her game again. But.... it wouldn't be the first time she came in unseeded and found her stride here. I mean. She gets to say that. I get to say that. Everyone gets to wonder that. For at least another 2 years. Especially here. Maybe Madison Keys could get in on that action. Defending semifinalist points here. Doesn't seem likely. But if she's healthy...
Hence my next takeaway. Injuries leave me guessing. No idea who is actually not gonna be able to perform and who will. Obviously that is always the case. But it feels like a bunch of top ladies are struggling right now.
Serena possibly the biggest question mark. But also, even if she's fully healthy.... while she can certainly run the gauntlet and take the title. I don't feel like she's there. Quarters? Sure. And of course Serena either usually loses in the quarters or makes the final.
But, while it's probably just my fandom, I'm in it for Sloane. She'll probably let me down. Because I'm not allowed to have nice things. Maybe because I root for people who aren't sure things. But.... her draw really isn't terrible. If she loses early or before the final at all, it'll probably be a tussle. It's kinda dumb, but I really do think Halep won't defend just because we haven't seen it in a while. That also applies to Sloane's final appearance from last year. Kvitova or Bertens? I can jive with that. Surprise finalist. I'd almost love to see it. Just to have one more young gun throw her hat in the ring. Or old gun. A la Vika.

It's gonna be a blast.

*Per the usual, I apologize for the length. Also, I'm doing a second post on my dark horses.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
You can probably tell that most of those dark horses are just in spots in the draw that it could open up for them. Kontaveit could benefit should Sabalenka continue to struggle on clay this year. Which, because we've seen how devastating she can be, I'm STILL tempted to put Sabalenka as a dark horse because I feel like she could turn it all around in an instant with her power and confidence. Also, because it's not only that Kontaveit could benefit from a early loss from Sabalenka. Sabalenka or Kontaveit could benefit from an early loss from Kvitova, who is always at risk of going out early. She's been great. But she's still Petra.
Vondrousova could get lucky if Kerber can't play well. And even if Kerber can play and win her first match. I feel like Vondrousova could beat her on clay. 2 wins over Halep this year (one on clay) suggest she's got the game. She's definitely hungry. Of course, Yastremka is also right there. Just won Strasbourg over Garcia. Could be spent. But could also benefit from a Kerber upset. Could take out Vondrousova if she's the one to pull off the upset. Of course CSN is usually good for a win or two. But Yastremska probably has the serve and power to deal with her I think. We'll see. Shelby Rogers is also healthy and back and right here in this section too.
Putintseva is a two time quarterfinalist here, including last year. She just won Nurnberg. Could be tired. But could also beat Peterson and Vekic and Bencic. Bencic on clay is still a force. But not her best. Vekic on clay definitely not at her best. We shall see. I feel like I may be overlooking Bencic thinking it's not her best surface. But after her spring. It may not matter.
Of course Ostapenko and Vika play each other in the first round and then get Osaka if she comes through her first round. Osaka supposedly had an injury and on clay has not been a force this clay season. But, she can definitely still beat both of them. It's just.... Ostapenko has a title here even if she lost in the first round last year immediately after her title and Vika has spent a great deal of time in Osaka's current spot, world number 1. She knows what it takes to be the best and deal with grand slam pressure and she FINALLY seems to be getting back to ... near the top of her game. Even if Osaka is healthy, she's not guaranteed to beat either of them.
And then, I didn't put anyone from the section as a dark horse. But look at the Mertens/Sevastova section. You've got Pavlyuchenkova in there. And Zidansek, who is fresh off a loss to Putintseva in the Nurnberg final. Mertens has not had great results this year. Nor has Sevastova. Mertens made the R16 here last year. Sevastova only has one 3rd round (lost in 1st round last year.) It's important because whoever comes out of this section gets the winner of the above section with Kerber, Yastremska, and Vondrousova. Suddenly, she gets a break and Zidansek is a quarterfinalist. There's no telling. I feel like there's at least one surprise quarterfinalist at every french open.
From my last post. Keys probably deserves more mention in the dark horse category. Semifinalist last year. Probably won't defend those points. But when she's on, has the power and pace to create her own shots and take the racket out of her opponent's hands for 3 to 5 games at a time. Still clawing her way back from the injury with a title in Charleston, with a win over Stephens, on the green clay. Again, in the open Osaka quarter. Assuming Osaka isn't 100% and isn't at her best on clay.

Also. I love looking at former champions, finalists or other grand slam champions in any draw. Which is why Kuznetsova, Stosur and Zvonareva peaked my interest. Stosur seems to definitely be done. But she and Zvonareva, who has not excelled in her comeback, are in Kvitova's section. Kvitova faces Cirstea in the first round. Again. She can lose to anyone. And then Kuznetsova is on the comeback from injury. Probably doesn't have it in her. But ya never know with her. She's in Pliskova's section at the other end of the draw. Muguruza in Sloane's quarter with Venus and Svitolina. Possibly injured. But not dead. And if she caught fire. She could lay waste to the field. As we've seen her do at 2 or 3 slams (won 2, lost a final to Serena). And the aforementioned Ostapenko and Vika.

Another question mark that would fit into the dark horse category is Andreescu. HUGE spring for her. Obviously one of the best young players to watch. Gonna be a contender for a long time it seems. But I don't know anything about her clay prowess and she missed the whole season with a ... I don't remember.... shoulder injury? So I'm just leaving her out. I'm betting she's not much of a factor even if healthy. But she's in Serena's section. So if she is healthy and Serena isn't. Opportunity knocks. Or hopefully they both are and they make it to each other and we get a good match.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Mugu barely recognizable as a former #1 and GS champ. She drops the opener to TT 7-5.

Kerbie also drops the opening set to Potopova.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Thanks Moxie:) This is my favorite time of the year,being brought up on clay and have attended most of the European clay tournaments.Serena was cited practicing with a 'knee brace' also I do not know if you saw the photo of her in a wheelchair at Disneyland in Paris with Alexis on her knee.Playing on the clay you put soo much weight on your knees,quite frankly I think Serena after withdrawing after one match in Rome should have skipped RG this year, get herself ready for the grass season.

If Elina Svitolina,a former junior RG champion,had not had knee issues leading up to Roland Grass,I would have considered as a 'dark horse' at RG this year.

Well she got past that 1st hurdle; eliminated Venus in str. sets! She didn't even have to take off her jacket! Both broken a lot though! :eek:

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
With Sloane now struggling against Doi late in the second set, Sorribes Tormo has won her match and awaits the winner of Stephens/Doi. Sorribes Tormo fought Stephens very hard in Charleston. Lost in two tie breaks. But had her chances in both sets. Sloane led by a break here against Doi early in the second. Doi got it back and broke a second straight time to serve for the set. Sloane broke back there though. Currently at deuce on her serve at 5-5. Got the ad, but Doi played some fantastic defense to get back in the point and Sloane missed the volley. Finally found a couple first serves though and got her hold. Has turned into a good match. Doi definitely giving a good account of herself here. This is their first meeting.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Kerber crashing out is not surprising at all. Even to 18 year old Potapova. Muguruza and Svitolina both fighting through possible injuries or not being 100 percent for good wins today. Always hate to see Venus fall. But at RG that's never surprising. Especially with how her year is going. Muguruza and Svitolina would have to face each other to face Sloane if she can get there. But definitely makes her draw more difficult if one of them is healthy and makes it. Svitolina will have to beat her compatriot Kozlova though. Just about 6 months between them in age. They never played a pro match on clay and Kozlova has never taken a set from Svitolina.

Mladenovic with a win. Not surprising. But ya never know with her. For now the French get to keep one of their top hopes.
Martic with the easy win over Jabeur.
Should be a good match between them. h2h is 2-1 Martic. Mladenovic's win was a retirement from Martic in their first match. Both of their other two matches went three sets. 1 on clay.

Sloane/Doi went to a tiebreak. Sloane took it 7-4. Bartoli doing on court interviews.

I know I spoke (wrote) at length last night about Vondrousova having a shot with Kerber likely out and now officially out. But she'll still have to get past Potapova of course. I do imagine she's the favorite for that one. Both are young and hungry. Potapova could just get the better of her. But Vondrousova beat the snot out of her 6-0 6-2 in Budapest in February. And it looks like they only played once in juniors and Vondrousova won that. But she's older. So there's that. Huge opportunity for both.

Turns out Kuznetsova didn't have it in her. Kucova with the easy win. She gets Pliskova as her reward for her troubles.

And with that the soft start Sunday at the French is mostly done. Sasnovich up an early break on Hercog. Brady and Jorovic locked at 4-4. Tomorrow finishes off this half of the draw and gets the top half started. Wozniacki starting the day on Philippe-Chatrier. Serena finishing it. Bertens (playing Frenchwoman Partmentier) then Kvitova on Suzanne-Lenglen. Should be a good day. Hopefully the rain stays away. At least until the first round is over. So many matches to play from the first round. You lose a day in the second week, with the quarters and you're fine. You lose a day in the first round, despite starting on Sunday, and the first week is effed. And there's an 80% chance of rain on Tuesday and 40% on Wednesday.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
French Open Results for Round 1 Day 1 - Sunday, May 26, 2019
upload_2019-5-26_15-50-10.png

upload_2019-5-26_15-51-5.png

upload_2019-5-26_15-51-52.png

Two matches were held over because of darkness and will be completed tomorrow

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions