WTA Player of the year

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
sk310 said:
I find it odd to even be thinking of Maria as player of the year. She made a splash in the clay and has been pretty much nonexistent the rest of the year. She's had better years than this by far.
If you think that's odd, try this one on for size: Maria won the ESPY in July for best tennis player which is based on results from July 2013-June 2014. Didn't Serena have the best record during this time?

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
sk310 said:
I find it odd to even be thinking of Maria as player of the year. She made a splash in the clay and has been pretty much nonexistent the rest of the year. She's had better years than this by far.
If you think that's odd, try this one on for size: Maria won the ESPY in July for best tennis player which is based on results from July 2013-June 2014. Didn't Serena have the best record during this time?

WTF?! I find it so frustrating how little mainstream sports journalists pay actual attention to women's tennis. It's a sport that goes through 3/4ths of the year, makes MANY millions of dollars, supports people from nations across the world...and still. Even tennis.com I am constantly shocked by how little their commentators seem to follow the actual women's tour.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
sk310 said:

But, I believe the ESPY are voted by the fans, which is still a stupid result regardless whom voted.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Calvy said:
kskate2 said:
sk310 said:

But, I believe the ESPY are voted by the fans, which is still a stupid result regardless whom voted.

Correct. Votes are from fans, but it shows how silly it was. Maria didn't even play the 2nd half of last year.

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
sk310 said:
kskate2 said:
sk310 said:

WTF?! I find it so frustrating how little mainstream sports journalists pay actual attention to women's tennis. It's a sport that goes through 3/4ths of the year, makes MANY millions of dollars, supports people from nations across the world...and still. Even tennis.com I am constantly shocked by how little their commentators seem to follow the actual women's tour.

Exactly! Two weeks ago, there were two minor mens tourneys and the massive womens PM in Beijing. And what we were able to read on tennis.com? About Roger, Joker and Rafa. And from the womens side? We new, that Li Na retired, Venus withdrew and Serena withdrew. Until the finals there was nothing about the matches at all. That's so called journalism :huh:

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
HawkEye said:
sk310 said:
kskate2 said:
sk310 said:

Exactly! Two weeks ago, there were two minor mens tourneys and the massive womens PM in Beijing. And what we were able to read on tennis.com? About Roger, Joker and Rafa. And from the womens side? We new, that Li Na retired, Venus withdrew and Serena withdrew. Until the finals there was nothing about the matches at all. That's so called journalism :huh:

Try listening to the tennis.com podcast. It's infuriating. Last week's they devoted about 1/5th of the entire podcast to the WTA. They talked about number 2 being the new number 1 because Serena is a solid number 1. They talked about Vika and they were like: Yeah she just hit her ceiling at number 2 blah blah blah. WHAT?! Seriously?! Do they follow tennis at ALL?! She WAS number 1 not number 2. Why can't they just get a few commentators who solely follow the WTA?!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
sk310 said:
HawkEye said:
sk310 said:
kskate2 said:
sk310 said:

Try listening to the tennis.com podcast. It's infuriating. Last week's they devoted about 1/5th of the entire podcast to the WTA. They talked about number 2 being the new number 1 because Serena is a solid number 1. They talked about Vika and they were like: Yeah she just hit her ceiling at number 2 blah blah blah. WHAT?! Seriously?! Do they follow tennis at ALL?! She WAS number 1 not number 2. Why can't they just get a few commentators who solely follow the WTA?!

When Tennis.com was sold a couple of years ago,remember it used to be called,Pete Bodo's Tennis World,my personal thoughts are,the overall lack of journalism regarding both the ATP and WTA is now appalling.It is more evident in the WTA side of things,regarding pure facts,to me they treat the WTA as pure rubbish in many ways.The general feeling is womens tennis is sub par,boring,etc,.

We cannot compare womens tennis to mens tennis,fact,though in saying that,there is a underlying bias there,regarding the WTA.Unless they start to employ a journalist who specializes in womens tennis,sad to say it will remain the same.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
sk310 said:
HawkEye said:
sk310 said:
kskate2 said:

When Tennis.com was sold a couple of years ago,remember it used to be called,Pete Bodo's Tennis World,my personal thoughts are,the overall lack of journalism regarding both the ATP and WTA is now appalling.It is more evident in the WTA side of things,regarding pure facts,to me they treat the WTA as pure rubbish in many ways.The general feeling is womens tennis is sub par,boring,etc,.

We cannot compare womens tennis to mens tennis,fact,though in saying that,there is a underlying bias there,regarding the WTA.Unless they start to employ a journalist who specializes in womens tennis,sad to say it will remain the same.

Yeah I agree with all of that. There is, especially in the American media market, a real lack of journalism as it applies to tennis. Bodo and his ilk are OBSESSED with making tennis regional. It's not a regional sport. At this point no country dominates tennis and that shouldn't matter. It's an individual sport. The sport makes so much money because it's based on a collection of individual stars from all around the world that travel to every corner of the earth. Yet Bodo and his team focus on weird small American things that nobody cares about (like the John Isner).

Its funny I think the general public is ahead of tennis journalism as far as accepting women's tennis as equal. Women tennis players get big endorsement deals and the stars of the tour are household names (Venus and Serena and Maria). Yet tennis journalists can't even be bothered to pay attention to mandatory events.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
sk310 said:
fashionista said:
sk310 said:
HawkEye said:
sk310 said:

Yeah I agree with all of that. There is, especially in the American media market, a real lack of journalism as it applies to tennis. Bodo and his ilk are OBSESSED with making tennis regional. It's not a regional sport. At this point no country dominates tennis and that shouldn't matter. It's an individual sport. The sport makes so much money because it's based on a collection of individual stars from all around the world that travel to every corner of the earth. Yet Bodo and his team focus on weird small American things that nobody cares about (like the John Isner).

Its funny I think the general public is ahead of tennis journalism as far as accepting women's tennis as equal. Women tennis players get big endorsement deals and the stars of the tour are household names (Venus and Serena and Maria). Yet tennis journalists can't even be bothered to pay attention to mandatory events.

It is apparent to me that Bodo has never been interested in womens tennis full stop.This is just my personal observation over the many years I have read his posts on the WTA.Please dont take my personal observations out of context with what I am about to say.Bodo's apparent dislike for Kim Clijsters was soo biased it made my hair stand on end.To me a journalist has to take a neutral stance when reporting Period.Though what made me laugh,he never had such distaste regarding Henin,when she came back on tour,Henin came back on tour for one purpose only,that was to see if she could win Wimbledon.Of course that didnt happen.Bodo also attacked Sharapova for many years,in regards to her still being Russian,to me that was unfair.Though I see now he has changed his opinion of Sharapova,typical.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
So, I assume that the POY race is pretty much over with the elimination of Sharapova and Kvitova in the year end champions.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Heck no player with 365 DF should be player of the year or should not be rank as no.2.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Calvy said:
So, I assume that the POY race is pretty much over with the elimination of Sharapova and Kvitova in the year end champions.

Yes you can.
:plot
I am voting Serena.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
special700 said:
Heck no player with 365 DF should be player of the year or should not be rank as no.2.

Yes, that is a ridiculous number, and it reflects one of the problem with womens tennis. I don't understand professionals not learning how to serve consistently, this is their jobs.

Ana's serve toss is horrendous, and Sharapova always attempting to serve hard on both first and second serves is idoitic.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
special700 said:

While one player has 365 DF, another player will be #1 all 365 days of the year.
Do we want a debate over POY.