CONTEST: Who will be the WTA 2014 Year End top 10 players?

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
I like this thread in the men's part and was waiting somebody would create it here as well. It hasn't been happening, so I decided to do it myself. Hopefully masterclass won't be annoyed I coppied his system of evaluation.

Here we are:

Predict the WTA 2014 Year End Top 10 Ranked players!

You will get 5 points for every player in your list that makes it in the top 10, no matter the order.
You get an extra 5 points for every player in your list that is in the correct rank position.

Maximum score: 100 points
Deadline for final entry (no edits after this): December 29, 2013

At the end of the year I'll sum it all up and make the list of results - that's the only reward.

Good luck everyone!

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1. Victoria Azarenka
2. Serena Williams (I just feel she has very little wiggle room to gain points aside from at Wimbledon and the Australian, she is defending two slams, and everywhere else she is defending finalist points or better)
3. Li Na
4. Maria Sharapova
5. Petra Kvitova
6. Aggie Radwanska
7. Angelique Kerber
8. Simona Halep
9. Caroline Wozniacki
10. Sara Errani

Raul Car Uri

Reactions
You must remember that Serena Williams has 5214 points edge over Victoria Azarenka... then how in the world you would assume that VA would over take as the top ranking WTA Player? Come on... you have to defend your assumption and I'm ready and willing to hear you out and defend my side afterwards.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, whatever Serena is ranked it doesn't matter she will win regardless if she wants to win. However, I for one am not going to pretend she doesn't have a lot of points to defend far more than any of the other players in the top 10, and it isn't like she accumulated most of her points in one part of the year. This is fleshed out over the entire season. I mean the only tournaments she didn't make the finals and/or win at were Australia and Wimbledon. That is a lot of points to defend. Where as if we take her other peers in the top 4 they all have very lopsided results over the year hence they can gain significantly. Now, Serena would have to bomb pretty significantly to lose the number 1 ranking anytime soon. I don't anticipate her play dropping significantly, but you never know anything can happen. I didn't expect a SW failure at Wimbledon this year. However, Azarenka can gain quite a bit in clay season, Wimbledon and during the fall. If it were to happen, it would happen late summer/fallish depending on Victoria Azarenka. However, if Vika hasn't worked on that serve, she may still plummet with her results.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My 10 on the top and they can all have different yearend rankings. I think Kvitova and Li will have a tough year and be in the dangerzone slipping out of the top 10. I don't think Maria will last all year because of her shoulder. It'll be a pity but she has now faced that injury twice - still in top 10 though. Kerber - well she can also be out of the top 10 - a lot depends on her mood. I think Sloane will be in the top 10 but she has to do something about her commitment and attitude. I have a dark horse as #11 Eugenie Bouchard - she's IMHO a better player than Sloane but has to collect a lot more points but she'll be in top 10 in 2015.

Serena Williams
Agnieszka Radwanska
Victoria Azarenka
Maria Sharapova
Caroline Wozniacki
Angelique Kerber
Simona Halep
Sloane Stephens
Petra Kvitova
Na Li

May I wish you all a Merry X-mas and a Happy New Year:wave

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
Now it's my turn:

1. Serena Williams
2. Victoria Azarenka
3. Petra Kvitova
4. Na Li
5. Maria Sharapova
6. Agelique Kerber
7. Agnieszka Radwanska
8. Simona Halep
9. Maria Kirilenko
10. Jelena Jankovic

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Well, whatever Serena is ranked it doesn't matter she will win regardless if she wants to win. However, I for one am not going to pretend she doesn't have a lot of points to defend far more than any of the other players in the top 10, and it isn't like she accumulated most of her points in one part of the year. This is fleshed out over the entire season. I mean the only tournaments she didn't make the finals and/or win at were Australia and Wimbledon. That is a lot of points to defend. Where as if we take her other peers in the top 4 they all have very lopsided results over the year hence they can gain significantly. Now, Serena would have to bomb pretty significantly to lose the number 1 ranking anytime soon. I don't anticipate her play dropping significantly, but you never know anything can happen. I didn't expect a SW failure at Wimbledon this year. However, Azarenka can gain quite a bit in clay season, Wimbledon and during the fall. If it were to happen, it would happen late summer/fallish depending on Victoria Azarenka. However, if Vika hasn't worked on that serve, she may still plummet with her results.

Defending points have nothing to do with predicting who will be in the top 10 at the
end of 2014. We are talking race here and not ranking (which will coincide at the end of
each year).

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:

But remember, Vika has to defend AO points again. What is the likelihood that she'll win it three years in a row. I don't think all that great. So if she doesn't defend, she begins the year trying to climb out of a hole. Of course we will see what she does at Brisbane after last year's toegate. But Vika will still have to match or better last years results to even get near very good (not perfect) performing Serena.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Defending points have nothing to do with predicting who will be in the top 10 at the
end of 2014. We are talking race here and not ranking (which will coincide at the end of
each year).

What? Defending points has everything to do with your ranking and where you might rank in the very end. Am I missing something? If you don't defend your points, then you are losing points from your ranking points. I am not saying Vika or anyone has an easy hole to climb to catch Serena, but Serena had a very high standard year that she has to maintain as well.

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
I've swapped Kirilenko with Eugenie Bouchard. So my final list looks like this:

1. Serena Williams
2. Victoria Azarenka
3. Petra Kvitova
4. Na Li
5. Maria Sharapova
6. Agelique Kerber
7. Agnieszka Radwanska
8. Simona Halep