WTA Player of the year

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
With Maria Sharapova winning Beijing,she is now in the running of ending the year No 1 and/or The WTA Player of the Year.Sharapova and Serena won a Grand Slam,but she won 2 Mandatory events,Madrid and Beijing,while Serena won Miami.Therefore,Singapore will be a battle for both issues.If Serena cannot play due to her left knee injury,I think Maria Sharapova will be named WTA Player of The Year.

I would like your thoughts on this topic.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd still nudge toward Serena as player of the year, although it's not been dominated by any particular player.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena has won more titles than anyone else on tour and maintained the #1 spot despite some failures at the slams. That being said if Sharapova wins YEC you have to give it to her especially if she takes over the #1 ranking.

In essence Maria needs to win YEC to solidify any argument for POT. A win by anyone else in Singapore and you'd have to give POT to Serena.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Serena should be the player of the year because she has more titles and has beaten pova this year and if she wins YEC and end her year at no.1..thats it POY

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
"player of the year" is given by ITF and considers only performance in ITF sponsored events.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Whoever among Serena, Sharapova or Kvitova wins the YEC and/or ends the year at #1.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
"player of the year" is given by ITF and considers only performance in ITF sponsored events.

The ITF designates a World Champion based on performance throughout the year,emphasising the Grand Slam Tournaments and also considering team events such as Davis Cup and Fed Cup.Mens and womens singles champions were first named in 1975,the title is now also awarded for,doubles,wheelchair and junior players.( as per the ITF website)

The WTA Award given by the Womens Tennis Association to a player who have done or achieved something remarkable during the season of their career.
Some of the Awards that are given are,

Player of the Year,Doubles Team of The Year,Most Improved Player Of The Year,Newcomer Of The Year,Player Service,Karen Krantzcke Sportsman Award and Tournament of The Year.( per the WTA Womens Association website)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
You are right. ITF award is called "world champion".

Also, WTA gives "player of the year" award as you mentioned. I thought that was not
the case as ATP does not give a similar award.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have another question to pose in regards to the WTA Player of the Year

I am also using a hypothetical reason in this question,

If Petra Kvitova wins the YEC this year? can she also be in contention for the Player Of the Year Award?

I would like to hear any thoughts on this question.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
I have another question to pose in regards to the WTA Player of the Year

I am also using a hypothetical reason in this question,

If Petra Kvitova wins the YEC this year? can she also be in contention for the Player Of the Year Award?

I would like to hear any thoughts on this question.

Player of the year is an award given by voting of members of the media. If all of
them like CiCi better, they can even give it to CiCi. Nothing to stop it.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
A very rare thread started by my buddy fashionista?
I have to reply.
;)

As of right now, it's Serena.
However, if Masha wins the YEC and overtakes Serena as the top ranked player, then we can argue.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiu said:
A very rare thread started by my buddy fashionista?
I have to reply.
;)

As of right now, it's Serena.
However, if Masha wins the YEC and overtakes Serena as the top ranked player, then we can argue.

Well I did work out all by myself how to do a new thread by the way...;)

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
Serena has won more titles this year and made it to 18 slams. She may have only won one slam this year but it was historic. winning the YEC will seal the deal.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
rugged said:
Serena has won more titles this year and made it to 18 slams. She may have only won one slam this year but it was historic. winning the YEC will seal the deal.

Nice to see you back posting btw....:)

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
fashionista said:
rugged said:

Nice to see you back posting btw....:)

Thanks Fashionista. Good to see you as well:D

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
So, let me get this straight, Serena has won the most titles, six, made the most finals, six, only player to win a slam this year without the loss of a set, undefeated the top ten this year, has been number one for over 40 weeks this year, has earned the most money, and is 2-0 against the number two player in the world this year, without a loss of set, and we're questioning who is player of the year?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
^ If the #1 ranking wasn't a question mark she would already have it hands down. But despite all the things you just listed above, if she doesn't retain the YEC title and gives up the #1 spot to said #2 player, all of the above accomplishments will mean very little in the voting of POTY.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
^ If the #1 ranking wasn't a question mark she would already have it hands down. But despite all the things you just listed above, if she doesn't retain the YEC title and gives up the #1 spot to said #2 player, all of the above accomplishments will mean very little in the voting of POTY.
who cares if pova gets it will be hollow because of the regular whoopings she gets from Serena.She had to work hard to get to no.2 because she is tired of the whoopings....17-2 is coming up..:laydownlaughing

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Calvy said:
So, let me get this straight, Serena has won the most titles, six, made the most finals, six, only player to win a slam this year without the loss of a set, undefeated the top ten this year, has been number one for over 40 weeks this year, has earned the most money, and is 2-0 against the number two player in the world this year, without a loss of set, and we're questioning who is player of the year?

You're not helping matters at all, Calvy, by bringing logic to the table. ;)

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I find it odd to even be thinking of Maria as player of the year. She made a splash in the clay and has been pretty much nonexistent the rest of the year. She's had better years than this by far.