Reactions
Who is your favourite author & why?
Who is your favourite poet & why?
Who is your favourite artist & why?

I'll be sharing my answers later.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Is there a book that changed your life? If so, which 1 & why?

My answers to come. I'll write them tomorrow.

Horsa

Reactions
I'll merge question 1, 2 & 5.

My favourite novel is Villette because it's written by my favourite author who is Charlotte Bronte & although her most popular novel was Jane Eyre which was written under the pseudonym of Currer Bell & published by Smith, Elder & Co. & was seen by William Makepeace Thackeray as the masterpiece of a literary genius I personally think Villette is better & definitely gives me a lot to chew on.

Charlotte Bronte is my favourite author because not only do I love her works & think they're very well-written but it was an achievement for women to write in those days even under a pseudonym because women were seen as the inferior gender & it was thought that if women's brains were stimulated too much it would render them useless for their role in life which was to look after their home, husband & children.

Jane Eyre changed my life when I 1st read it when I was 10 though because I'd been bullied all my life & the beginning of chapter 8 which reads "why was I always brow-beaten, forever condemned?" explained how I felt & it made me realise that there are other people who feel the same way as me & I'm not alone.

Horsa

Reactions
My favourite poet is William Wordsworth because not only do I like his style of poetry & how he writes but his most famous poem is about my favourite flowers, well sort of. It starts like:-

"I wandered lonely as a cloud
that floats on high o'er vales & hills
when all at once I saw a crowd
a host of golden daffodils."

Horsa

Reactions
My favourite artist is George Stubbs because his favourite subject matter was my favourite animal. I.e. he was famous for painting horses & he was very good at it too. All his works were anatomically correct & I found out he actually wrote a book on horses which was also anatomically correct & included some of his drawings & paintings.

Horsa

Reactions
I had a very interesting chat with an art gallery attendant at an art gallery I went to today to get a couple of cuppas & waste time while waiting for my interview today. I will go into more detail & ask what other people think tomorrow as it's late now & I'm tired. Both of us enjoyed our chat.

Horsa

Reactions
What is art?

A simplistic answer to that would be that art is drawing, sculpting & painting in all different mediums & using all different methods but the answer is not as simple as that. Art is a way of expressing yourself & how other people express themselves mainly visually. Art is a way of depicting the world around you & how you see it & the way other people depict the world around them & the way they see it. Who actually decides what is classed as art & who has the right to define what is classed as art? Some people would say art is beautiful but not all art is beautiful & not all good art is beautiful neither is all realistic art beautiful. We all have different aesthetic tastes & different ideas & opinions on what art is & what is classed as art & the right to have these. I'll now go on to the question "what is good art?". That also is a matter of taste & opinion. My idea of good art is something that is realistic & looks like what it should do. Other people prefer abstract art like most of the artwork that was created by Pablo Picasso, Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore & David Hockney. I prefer art similar to that by George Stubbs, Edwin Landseer, Caravaggio, Michelangelo & Leonardo Da Vinci. Some of the old so-called realistic art could actually be seen as abstract though it looks like what it is supposed to be because it's religious & has angels & we don't really know whether angels exist. The existence of angels is also a matter of opinion & belief. Other art I like which looks like it's supposed to be but cannot be seen as realistic is pictures of unicorns & Pegasus because they never existed other than in people's imaginations anyway. The good thing about abstract art is that it encourages people who can't draw & paint very realistically to draw & paint which is good as it gives them an outlet for expression & is a good form of relaxation. Then again we come to the question of what good art is & who gets to judge.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
If you were going on a round the world trip where would you go 1st?

Horsa

Reactions
My answer to the question I've just asked is all the places horses & ponies run wild like Shetland, Eriskay, Dartmoor, Exmoor, the New Forest, Connemara, the Camargue & Iceland & those places in America where wild mustangs still roam free.

Horsa

Reactions
I'm gutted. They have just erected a new horse sculpture in Featherstone which is a war memorial & commemorates Featherstone's mining & farming past too. It's only a bus-ride from us. I've been looking for it & couldn't find it & I've passed on the bus & didn't see it. I've only seen it in the local newspapers & I want to see it close-up. It's not fair. The last couple of art pieces done in our area were rubbish. They were a yellow crate house in Castleford & a totem pole in Castleford & I really got to see them. Now there's a proper art piece in our area I can't see it close up. They removed the last proper art piece in our area which was a Henry Moore sculpture outside Castleford Civic Centre. I don't know where it's gone.

Horsa

Reactions
Does anyone else have a favourite train & railway line or is it just me? My favourite train is the Flying Scotsman & my favourite railway line is the West Highland railway line. I haven't been for a trip on my favourite train but have been on my favourite railway line.

Horsa

Reactions
I've decided to share a good quote today as a reminder. Aristotle said "you can entertain a thought without believing it".

Horsa

Reactions
I had a conversation with someone that had to be cut short earlier. I found out that Wordsworth's daffodils wasn't originally like we see it. Apparently Wordsworth wrote more than just "I wandered lonely as a cloud..." There were a few more words but his wife cut them out thinking "I wandered lonely as a cloud..." was better for the structure than Wordsworth's extra words & syllables. Does anyone here know what the extra words were, please?

Horsa

Reactions
I wonder if anyone can help me.

In a business letter if you're enclosing something you put the abbreviation Enc underneath your name if you're enclosing 1 thing & Encs if you're enclosing more than 1 thing. Does 1 thing refer to 1 page or 1 complete document, please?

Horsa

Reactions
Right then, I've got an anagram for the more literary-minded to work out. How does the following read in normal English:-

xoyromon?

Answer in a weeks time if not worked out.

Horsa

Reactions
I wonder if anyone can help me. When I was 21 there used to be a nice cocktail called s** on the beach. It was lovely. They're not allowed to call them that now in case people get the wrong impression. What are they called now, please?

Horsa

Reactions
Thought for the day

Our heads are like a book-shelf full of books (or library full of books in some cases).
Sometimes there is quite a bit of room for more books but at other times there isn't.
In the case that there isn't we have to sort out some of the out-dated books that we no longer find useful or enjoyable to make room for more up-to-date, useful &/ enjoyable ones.

Horsa

Reactions
Right then, I've got an anagram for the more literary-minded to work out. How does the following read in normal English:-

xoyromon?

Answer in a weeks time if not worked out.
I'm sorry I've been a bit late with this 1. The answer is oxymoron.

Horsa

Reactions
If you could meet any author from any time period who would it be?