Writer's & reader's civilised & serious conversation conference

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
This is for writer's to write what they want & feel, receive constructive criticism & have fun maybe encouraging readers to have a go & give tips while reader's read what they're interested in, give writer's constructive criticism & have fun. I stopped writing & hadn't written for years until I got in with the Horsey bookworm & writing crowd on twitter. They encouraged me to start again so I had a go. They liked my work & told me to try to put a poetry book together & develop my story & try to get published so I am in the process of doing it. I enjoyed myself so would encourage anyone to have a go. There are only 3 rules which are be civilized, respect each other & keep all criticism constructive. Other than that have fun. Talk about Freud, Jung, Hegel, Kant, history, art, books & authors, whatever interests you. Share poems & stories & other pieces of writing. Write about anything that interests you. Use alliteration & be punny. Just a few suggestions. Above all, have fun.

I've got a few plans for pieces myself so please let me write about Charlotte Bronte, ferrets & George Stubbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz and britbox

Horsa

Reactions
I'll write my 1st piece tomorrow if I've got time. I'm very interested in finding out what interests everyone & looking forward to seeing everyone's contribution.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I read very little fiction these days, although I am slowly ploughing through the Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones etc,)...I tend to read a lot more non-fiction, biographies etc...

One of the best books I ever read was "Stalingrad" by Antony Beever... I gobble up history books.

Horsa

Reactions
I read very little fiction these days, although I am slowly ploughing through the Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones etc,)...I tend to read a lot more non-fiction, biographies etc...

One of the best books I ever read was "Stalingrad" by Antony Beever... I gobble up history books.
I read a mixture of fiction & non-fiction. I've been reading books on horses a lot recently.

My favourite book is Villette. I love history too especially soc. & economic history, history of stage-coaching & history of medicine. I'm reminding myself of British history for a piece I'm writing. I've had to re-edit a bit I wrote about Edward I because I realized how cruel he was to the Scots but I've just found out he was cruel to the Welsh too.

Horsa

Reactions
I'm going to write something soon. I've just come back off my holiday & I've got lots of washing to do.

Horsa

Reactions
I was going to write a piece of alliteration from A to Z but I'm stuck on Q.

Horsa

Reactions
The weirdest medicines in history

Trephinning which was the process by which prehistoric man had holes drilled in their head if they had a headache. They later had to carry the bones in a bag around their neck. The reason for this was because they thought headaches were caused by evil spirits entering someone's body so they had to let them out & they had to carry the bones in a bag around their neck as a talisman.

Medicinal leeches to suck blood because people believed too much blood caused illness. Blood letting is another weird medicine from history which was used because of the same belief.

Cocaine tooth drops for tooth-ache.

Heroine for head-ache.

Opium lollies to calm children down.

If anyone else can think of anymore please feel free to add them.

Horsa

Reactions
A bit of alliteration

Ann, Al & Amanda absolutely adore appaloosas.
Brenda bakes brilliant bread. Bill brews beer.
Caroline cooks casseroles.
David dances delightfully.
Edward eats eggscelent Easter eggs.
Fred finds Freda's ferrets.
George gets Gina galoshes.
Harry hits Henry.
Isabelle is incredibly intelligent.
Jack jumps Jennifer.

Horsa

Reactions
I've forgotten what I had for K to P now. I'll have to rethink.

Reactions: britbox

Horsa

Reactions
We could also have a discussion on how films & the books or historical events they're based on differ. E.g. in the film "Braveheart" William Wallace isn't depicted as the tall, fat man with a beard & moustache he was & in older, history books William Wallace was betrayed but no one knew who by though it was believed to be Robert the Bruce, in the film they make it out as though it was Robert the Bruce's Father who was the brains behind the betrayal of William Wallace but Robert the Bruce who betrayed him. I'm very sorry if anyone disagrees but I normally believe older history books because they were wrote nearer the time & history books tend to change the story a bit as time goes on, like a game of Chinese whispers so the older history books probably are nearer the truth than newer ones.

Horsa

Reactions
Kevin knows kinetics.
Liam's learning linguistics.
Maximilian's marrying Marion.
Nelly needs Ned.

Horsa

Reactions
Olivia orders olives.
Patricia packs prawns.
Queenie questions Quentin.
Raymond runs rallies.
Simon sees squirrels.
Trevor tests televisions.
Unemployment usually under-mines.
Vanessa vociferates views.
Walter waits.
X
Yesterday Yvette yelled.
Zzzz.

Horsa

Reactions
Rhazes, Avicenna, Leonardo Da Vinci & Galileo were men who were way ahead of their time in my opinion. What do you think?

Horsa

Reactions
I just found this & thought I'd share it with anyone who'd like to join in. Everyone's welcome.

Horsa

Reactions
Why do you sometimes feel doubt & hold things back when you were right?
Why do you bottle things up so much until it gets so strong you end up in an argument or fight?
Especially when the topic you have to air your views on are taboo or hard.
Then if you say something wrong you always feel on guard.
You don't mean to do things wrong but end up being out of order.
If you're lucky you don't quite cross the border.
Why can it sometimes be so hard to do the right thing?
Why is it sometimes the truth a lot of hassle can bring?
Why can it sometimes be so hard to call a truce?
When you speak to some people, you've got to watch your words because after the slightest thing wrong all hell can break loose.
Why is it sometimes so hard to start anew?
It can be easier to start anew though than to say "Adieu!".

Horsa

Reactions
Why don't more people stand up for what they believe in?
Why do some people treat you as if thinking differently is a sin?
Why is today's world so full of hate?
Why can peace be so hard to create?

Horsa

Reactions
A new follower of mine on twitter created this youtube channel. I watched some of his videos. I found this particularly interesting. What do you think?

Horsa

Reactions
Pyramids are incredible and full of mystique.
Definitely. The fact that they were built so long ago without all the machinery we have today makes them even more amazing & makes the people who designed & built them even more talented than if someone constructed 1 today.