Writer's & reader's civilised & serious conversation conference

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
This is my favourite version of the song.

Horsa

Reactions
I tried an audio book today to give my eyes a break. They're boring. I prefer reading a book if my eyes are feeling up to it or watching the film of the book if they're not.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Never tried audio books, although kind of thought of getting one or two for long road trips in the car.

Horsa

Reactions
Never tried audio books, although kind of thought of getting one or two for long road trips in the car.
They'd be good for that or for if you're doing something else at the same time as a change from music.

Horsa

Reactions
I'm reading American notes by Charles Dickens.

Horsa

Reactions
I was reading about a girl who was born epileptic & with all senses but had a severe epileptic fit when really young which deprived her of all senses except touch. Despite that she learnt to knit & sew, just by touching someone in the process of knitting & sewing. She then got sent to a special school where they taught her to speak, write & read using just the sense of touch & she was very happy. She must have been an amazing person. It made me think of all the people with all their senses who have a lack of confidence or who keep saying they can't do something & give up trying instead of persevering & then complain. If people with only their sense of touch can do these things what excuse does everyone else have when they have all their senses?

Horsa

Reactions
I'm reading Charles Dickens' Christmas books.

Horsa

Reactions
I wish you a Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year.
Don't eat too much chocolate, Don't drink too much beer.
You might be teetotal & not drink alcohol at all.
Some people believe 3 wise men visited Jesus with gifts & on their knees did fall.
The gifts they brought were Frankincense, Myrrh & gold.
We still have gifts at Xmas now as in days of old.
We also Carol sing.
We sing of heaven's King.
The church bells ring.
We remember the message the angel Gabriel did bring.
We remember the Magi following that star.
We remember the story of people for the census walking or riding donkeys so far.
We know this story whatever we believe & whoever we are.
We remember being told about St. Nicholas who is also known as Father Xmas or Santa Claus.
Some people believe (I don't) he brings good girls & boys Xmas presents & mine & yours.

Horsa

Reactions
There are times when I wish I could live my life like the character in a book.
There are times when we have both good & bad luck.
Sometimes reading can be a great escape.
Sometimes we all make big mistakes.

Horsa

Reactions
For a laugh with a bit of seriousness in I'll share a few poet's, writer's & reader's problems.

Horsa

Reactions
Poet's problem.

You start thinking in rhyme which comes out in your communications with others & not everyone likes poetry & of those that do some only like free or blank verse today.

Horsa

Reactions
Writer's problem

Plagiarism.

Solution

Copyright your writing if you're either thinking of or are going to publish it. It's easy to do. An internet search comes up with lots of copyrighting sites. Use the 1 that's best for you. I use copyrighted.

Horsa

Reactions
Remember, this is their problem.
It's their choice too. If I end up talking in rhyme & they don't like it, I've just to say "I'm sorry. It's just the way I was thinking. I'll try not to rhyme when talking to you." A lot of people like poetry. I am who I am & have the right to be so. People either like me for who I am or they don't. It's their choice.

Horsa

Reactions
Writer's problem

Writer's come up with their best ideas at the most inconvenient times such as in bed or when they're reading, then when they get up or put their book down, they're racking their brain trying to come up with the idea again but come up with something similar but not even 1/2 as good. Always having a mobile phone with notes section or a notepad or pen nearby helps.

Horsa

Reactions
Writer's & reader's problem

You're trying to sort your books out but you haven't read all of them so have to read them before you can sort them which takes longer, then you end up getting ideas for stories, poems or songs so have to write them down so that takes longer, then you come across your favourites which should go straight on the keep pile but you can't resist re-reading it.

Horsa

Reactions
E-readers are good as they contain a lot of books in a very short space & you can delete the ones you don't want & download the ones you do, they've got a bookmark & you can make the writing bigger or smaller depending on how good your eyesight is. The bad thing about e-readers is the battery doesn't last 1/2 as long as it says on the box & you're always having to recharge it. It runs out at the most inconvenient times & loses your page.

Horsa

Reactions
Reader's problem

You always get to the most interesting parts when you should be going to bed & can't put your book down.