Writer's & reader's civilised & serious conversation conference

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
As it's Valentine's Day I think it's only right that I should attempt to right either a conventional sonnet or a romance story. I haven't decided which 1 to try yet.

Horsa

Reactions
Richard Beckinsale died at the age of 31, 40 years ago today. That means he'd have been 71 today if he was still with us. It's such a shame he died so young. It's a shame when anyone dies young but he was such a talented actor. I loved him in Porridge. Dad loved him in Porridge but loved him in Rising damp too.

Porridge the movie.

Rising damp
https://youtu.be/Ean2SNX-sgM?list=PL4S7WPfh

Horsa

Reactions
Over the last few days I've been busy reading Nostradamus's prophecies which were written in the form of quatrains & also reading about Nostradamus himself. While I don't think that Nostradamus could predict the future like some people think I don't think that Nostradamus was a complete failure as I think that his quatrains were beautifully written poems, I also know that Nostradamus brought hygiene into his practice of medicine where he lived & he made rose pills which were made from rose-hips which are a good source of vitamin C. This greatly improved the health of people where he was especially in a time where medicine was nowhere near as advanced as it is today. Blood-letting was the main form of medicine at that time. (Nostradamus lost a close relative shortly before he thought he could predict the future & started writing his quatrains. Some people state they've had psychic experiences after they've been through distressing events. Could this be the case here?) I've shared a couple of his quatrains in the original Medieval French & their English translations below for your perusal & so you could see what I meant about them being beautifully written poems.

Bestes farouches de faim fluues tranner:
Plus part du camp encontre Hister sera,
En caige de fer le grand fera treisner,
Quand Rin enfant Germain obseruera.

Translation

They’ll swim the rivers, fiercely famished brutes:
Most of the army shall range the Ister;
In an iron cage will be drawn The Great
When Rhine’s child shall Germany watch over.

Le lyon ieune le vieux surmontera,
En champ bellique par singulier duelle,
Dans caige d’or les yeux luy creuera:
Deux classes vne, puis mourir, mort cruelle.

Translation

The young lion shall overcome the old,
On field of battle by single duel;
He’ll smash his eyes with a casing of gold:
Two fleets one, then to die, a death cruel.

I'm contemplating writing a more substantial piece about Nostradamus but don't know whether to or not yet.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
I've just read a book on graphology which isn't what it sounds like. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was the study of graphs but it's actually the art of hand-writing analysis. It's fascinating. I thought all you could tell from someone's hand-writing was how capable they were, how creative & artistic they were & whether they were neat or not but apparently you can tell a lot about their personality too.

I've got 1 question though. If I analyse my own hand-writing, do I have to analyse my normal writing, my signature or both?